Author Topic: Timeframe for beta?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Timeframe for beta?
« on: April 14, 2013, 07:13:27 am »
I'm giving another vote for the "Edicts sound awesome" idea.   I like the idea of randomly chosen rules like that which then define the strategic framework that I must work within for that particular game;  that's yet another thing that'd up the replay value, I think (particularly if it can choose more than just one at a time).   I think you could do quite a lot with that idea.

This game really is sounding more and more awesome.   Do you guys have any timeframes for this?   Obviously, I'm anxious to leap into the beta whenever that's ready.

Beta should be soon. Hopefully the end of this month. :)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Timeframe for beta?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 10:24:42 am »
How long of a beta is planned? Roughly speaking?

We talking AVWW length, or closer to SH?

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 11:46:52 am »
How long of a beta is planned? Roughly speaking?

We talking AVWW length, or closer to SH?

Definitely closer to SH. If this thing is in beta for as long as AVWW was, we'll break the bank making this thing.

That said, mechanically, this game is much simpler, so there should be far fewer big issues that need to be dealt with.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:09:30 pm »
Basically by the time we hit beta the game will be "done" or close to it.  Art won't all be in place, balance won't be perfect, and there will be a few meta aspects we'll be adding.  But this isn't a Valley 1 or 2 situation where the game is still hugely evolving or incomplete when beta starts.  This is a way more focused game, and is more deep than wide, which contributes to quicker development.  Aside from us basically having to do no engine development while making this one!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 12:20:09 pm »
At this point we're expecting to start a private alpha next Tuesday or Wednesday (if things go well this week), and then hopefully a beta right at the end of this month, on the 29th or so.  Depending on various factors, of course, which could shift that around a week or so at worst, I expect (knocks on wood).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline SRombauts

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:54:11 pm »
Hi Guys,

So the private alpha is not for us, if I understand it well ? no way to enter in it?

I am really excited by this game!

Cheers

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:19:43 pm »
We'll be asking for people interested in the private alpha soon, actually!  We'll have a limited number of slots for that, and we'll need people who have actual time to devote to it to giving us feedback over about a half a week span of time.  But hopefully by mid next week we'll be to that point. :)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »
* Aklyon waits excitedly for next week
Whether or not I make it into the alpha, that still gives me a (probably terribly inaccurate) guess at when the beta is ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 01:44:14 pm »
We are hoping for the 29th, but obviously that's subject to change. :)

Offline SRombauts

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:16:08 pm »
We'll be asking for people interested in the private alpha soon, actually!  We'll have a limited number of slots for that, and we'll need people who have actual time to devote to it to giving us feedback over about a half a week span of time.  But hopefully by mid next week we'll be to that point. :)
Yes, I know the deal, and I am not sure that I would be your best shot for the job ;
1) I do have a (nice) day job... but I can spend a few hours for *this* game each evening, which would be 1pm to 4/5pm for your timezone (now in fact)
2) I have no faith in my game design skills, nor game balancing, but I work as a programmer and I think I really understand how to write good bug reports if that is what you seek !

See you!

edit: know -> now
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:57:36 pm by SRombauts »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:48:53 pm »
Cheers!  We'll have a thread for that before too long, and Josh will be grouping people into batches so that we can make sure and have a range of types of person and experience with Arcen and so forth in each batch.  We can only capture first impressions once, so we try to hit a spectrum of players several times in a row rather than just a big blob all at once.  Anyhow a couple of hours a night is plenty -- we're not asking for something like huge amounts of devotion or something, goodness!

Offline SRombauts

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »
Then I'll come back everyday to check for this new registering thread :)

I did love AI War, and are waiting for another kind of strategy game from you!

Regards

Offline windgen

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:42:25 pm »

This game looks awesome.

I don't regularly look through this forum/blog/twitter so I only found out about the game yesterday.

Are there any updates on when the beta is going to start?  The latest information I could find says it's planned for the 6th (tomorrow) -- http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,12893.0.html.  Is that still in the cards, or does the game need a little more polish to be beta-worthy (e.g. tutorial rewrite)?

If I'd known about this when the alpha signup thread was active, I'd totally be playing filing bug reports right now.  (I'm #6 on the AVWW2 beta bug count leaderboard at http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Valley_2_-_Beta_Release_Notes.)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 08:52:46 pm »
Don't quote me on this, and I'm no official source by any means, but I think they're looking towards closer to the end of the week rather than the beginning for the beta.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 09:12:10 pm »
Quote from: x4000
Well, we also have a pretty tight run up to the 1.0, too: we pretty much need to hit that by the week of the 20th or so. That's going to mean about a week-long beta if alpha lasts until late this next week.

From a short conversation I had with x over on mantis.  While it doesn't give exact dates, you can put an educated guess in at beta starting end of this week of beginning of next week (this is my guess, don't hold me to it).
Do remember alpha started later than planned too.

For those interested, the conversation I had with x is at the bottom of this report;
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=11136
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk