Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.954  (Read 1753 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.954
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:01 am »
The latest: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Skyward_Collapse_-_Pre-Beta_Release_Notes#Alpha_0.954

1. The tutorial should be way more sane now for new players, in terms of not overwhelming them with difficulty.  I also fixed a couple of inaccuracies, and added a few more helpful tidbits.

2. Ruins in general are no longer so prevalent in terms of the bonuses they are granting.

3. A few other balance-related changes that should be welcome.

Enjoy!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.954
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 12:08:07 pm »
Balance question - are you planning to do something with poor giants?
For me they are very "ungiant" like. They can do something in age of man and are quite powerful then. But later you need to spam them to defend from even one siege unit.....

I was thinking about some kind of damage reduction bonus or something similar.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 12:14:29 pm »
You asked for it... ;)

* Frost Giants now cost 3x as much incense as before, as well as having a new requirement where they need bread.
** Their health has been increased by more than 3x, however, making them by far the sturdiest mythological creature out there.
** Their attack power has not gone up, however their AP cost for attacks has been reduced from 3 to 1.  This means that once they get in close, they do a lot of damage fast the next turn.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:48:47 pm »
Oh my. Maybe I'll have a game where the Norse isn't losing. *cues incoming Norns frost giant spam, only to be cut-off by mass extinction*

Offline Winge

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:41:38 pm »
Trojan Horse fix, yay!
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:14:39 pm »
Ruins in general are no longer so prevalent in terms of the bonuses they are granting.

Oh thank you so much ahhhh

Once like 2 ranged units got triple attack buffs from ruins then that faction was just unstoppable.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »
Having played through the Expert/Insane game further to turn 100, the game actually got boring near the end... 80% of the damaging woes are being thrown at blue/Norse - coupled with a second Fey Moon, and another woe that turned a blue town to banditry. Everywhere there are bandits. All of the armies, bandits. This particular session isn't intense in the way that is actually fun.

i.e. there's nothing for me to do but to try to build more towns, guaranteeing my survival until turn 120... ;)

I think this game could use:
- more woe varieties to reduce repetition (details on the woes complaint page)
- some sort of peak bandit activity limit, most of the game has been combating rewardless bandits milling around in the outlands making their way slowly towards player towns.
- returning the cool-downs to their default duration, or toning down the increase, in exchange for increase in prices *only* for the net-positive tokens.  There are many woes that encourage you to use tokens, but in reality very few of these tokens are appropriate at any one time, or even available. One of the core fun-factors in the game is being able to exercise power when you need it, and extra cool-downs just don't gel with the goal of making harder games more intense.

Needless to say, due to the sheer number of yellows and the presumably rare pRNG outcome hitting blue Norse, I do not see a way to achieve 70,000 points at this difficulty. Game difficulty and score gate seem to be mutually exclusive goals as of this patch, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

EDIT: 61,745 -> 1,296,645. Well okay, not too far once Apollo finds his Serpent (again). Definitely achievable if a god appears that can counter the bandits (although not all gods do this).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:02:49 pm by zharmad »

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 06:03:55 pm »
If you look at the post for .955 that is coming (not quite released yet) it looks like a new batch of woes has been added. This may be exactly what you need to break up the repetition of your game. But we won't know until the patch is out and you give it a try.

http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Skyward_Collapse_-_Pre-Beta_Release_Notes#Alpha_0.954

Just a thought,
-Teal

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:05:43 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 06:08:09 pm »
On the note of bandits, I'm wondering about that as well.   In my current game the RNG seems to have stopped spamming them at me, but.... I'm not near the end of the game yet.  It may well start putting out yet more of those guys.    The bandit keeps as a whole are a great idea, but both armies really do tend to be much too obsessed with them.  So when it IS being a bandit festival, the war between red and blue gets put on hold.   There's alot of RNG involved in terms of when and how often this happens, but it's pretty annoying when it does.

Two suggestions:

1.  Reduce the health of Bandit Keeps.  Maybe down to about 15,000.   30,000 is *alot* and is the same amount as a tower.  Even strong siege units can tend to take forever on these.  The only way to really pop them quickly is with a Trojan Horse.

2.  Make it so that it's not *always* bandit keeps.   I can see ideas for three types of spawns:   1.  Lone bandit, just one by themselves, 2. A group of them, maybe like 4 or 5 that spawn in a heap, and 3, the bandit keep.   Maybe an equal chance of each spawn type, so you never really know which one might come next.  But it'd help lower the overall staying power of the high health ones without really changing any of the numbers. 

After all, bandits really shouldnt be the central threat of the game;  the central threat should be the 2 armies themselves, and their balance constantly shifting with the woes and tokens and all of that fun stuff.    Yet at the same time, if you lower the bandits too much, they'd kinda fall apart, and they're an important part of the game here, hmmm.....

Also, on the woes, I agree..... need more of them!   I really like the ones that are in so far, there's some very interesting ideas here, and some of them end up being much more of a threat than you'd think, once they hit you (that guild-strike one!  Argh!).   But yeah.... more of them!  I cant see any point where you could really have TOO MANY of these.   And overall it's such a good mechanic!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 06:13:06 pm »
Horsepocalypse ... ha! I like it!

Woes are great!

I cant see any point where you could really have TOO MANY of these.   And overall it's such a good mechanic!

Yeah, good point. You could really just keep adding these for a long time, maybe as free content or as part of expansions. It's nice to have something like this that you can just keep adding to. It should help the game keep fresh in the long run and prolong its lifespan.

Praise Madcow, who kind of started the cataclysm ball rolling, as I recall.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 06:23:51 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:49 pm »
On another note, these updates have really been having good effects so far.

I feel like the game is really hitting it's potential at this point;  I'm currently still in my everything-medium game, and things are continuing to get even more interesting and crazy.   Towns arent bloody invincible anymore, so I've had plenty of building destruction (which is as it should be), bandits are being somewhat of an actual threat, I've got some loopy woe-related stuff going on (ah crap Ultima in 8 turns, among others that have happened), there's some rampaging cavalry that are all buffed up on Pandora's Box, and so on....

....and now bloody Pan appears, argh.

The balance isnt perfect overall, there's still plenty of things that could do with a tweak (waiting for the Ice Giant buff here myself, that sounds like a good one), but it's really coming along great.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:47:02 am »
got to turn 26 before having to stop, not out of boredom, but time.

a good sign, although for a tutorial it seems a long while. even relative to ai wars.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:36:19 am »
got to turn 26 before having to stop, not out of boredom, but time.

a good sign, although for a tutorial it seems a long while. even relative to ai wars.

Awesome! That's definitely a good sign. In terms of tutorial length it's really just your first game. I mean, the third ai war tutorial lasted 3-5 hours. But that's a very very good sign. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk