Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.817  (Read 2094 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.817
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:45:33 pm »
New one again!  http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Skyward_Collapse_-_Pre-Beta_Release_Notes#Alpha_0.817

This one has a PARTIAL implementation of the Last Turn Report as well as the stats on the player profile.  Don't submit bugs about stuff that isn't updating on there! ;)  We've got all the fields there, but not all of it actually filling in yet.

This version also includes some important changes to the AI to make them more sane again.  The cowardice thing didn't work out so hot, as it turned out.  This new version is a revision of the old "bloodthirsty" version, but not quite so blindly so. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.817
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:00:54 pm »
Can the bandit towns be named Murdoch?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 07:10:14 pm »
I like the randomized town names. Simple change that adds a lot more personality. Hoping for random unit names too. I like stuff like pretending my dudes have a proper identity that I can build a little story around in my mind, much like in Dwarf Fortress. This is far far harder (almost impossible) to do without each unit having a unique name. Of course, the guys don't last very long in this game although it'd be great if some of them could -- although there's always ruins, I guess, which can accidentally create incredibly tough warriors.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:43:51 pm »
Started a new game on the mountain map. Hard-3, about 20 turns in so far.

Bandits are supposed to cross mountains on hard right? I don't think they are doing that.

Norse got Inside job very quickly into the game, really messed up my first town, have a lot of buildings in repair mode. Since that town had a lot of the "base" parts of my economy, I had to build a second town pretty much as a clone in order to pump out units to fend it off. Fortunately, blue team was distracted by some bandits and a few norse units that were near them to not get in red's face.

Used the multi-attack rune thing on my second town units, leveled up a melee to 4 and another to 3, really helped clear out the siege. Lots to rebuild, but glad things are a bit more.. dynamic. Even gave me second town a school, never bothered with that before. Less to deal with the siege bandits and more to deal with the oncoming blue aftermath that was building up in the meantime.

Seems like some woes will cause quite a swing more than others.

Red got the serial killer one again; still not very easy to see if that's doing anything, or understand how it works.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:18:31 pm »
The bloodlust trait only gets applied on Expert.

Sounds like things are going well in general there. :)

On randomized character names, maybe post-1.0.  And Murdoch is already the name of the bandit leader, as you can see on one of the map types. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:20 pm »
The bloodlust trait only gets applied on Expert

Ah ok. I guess the tooltip needs to be changed then.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »
I wont have a chance to try this just yet, but I went and had a look through the patch notes.

This looks quite good.  I see the diamonds/jewelery thing looks balanced better, that one had been bugging me...  and the change to the gods looks VERY good.  Any city with a god in it previously wasnt going to go down whatsoever easily since they're so freaking strong (though I did have Heimdall just randomly melt once, I was never sure just how).   Makes more sense anyway:  What kind of god actually sits there and does all the defense work themselves?  That's for the believers to do!  Kinda makes me think of the various gods from the Discworld books, actually, with the lazy "I dont wanna do anything if I dont have to" attitude.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:35:55 pm »
@Mick: Actually, I was wrong -- it is supposed to be on hard and up.  You should see the bloodlust attribute on them.  Or they might be being spawned by a path that doesn't cause them to get that somehow, not sure.

Offline Winge

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:34 pm »
I could be mistaken, but I seem to notice a distinct lack of counterattack damage...is that intentional?  ???
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 09:21:33 pm »
It's entirely probable that I broke that; I did make a change in that area today.  I'll fix it in the morning!

Offline Winge

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 11:48:33 pm »
Added a few more to Mantis as well.  Jewelry costs aren't correct, and I noted a few other glitches.  Those are minor compared to counterattacks, though.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:11:16 am »
Ok, so I finally had time to sit and enjoy a game, check out some woes and see where the game has gone since .814 (last update I played). 

All is running great for the most part, I can see some of the things I've read about on Mantis and all.  Woes come and go, Serial Killer, I can't say what it does because I've got playback running quickly.  Next up Collapse, cool.  I've got a few mountain tiles that have cropped up, this should be cool.  Then it rolls around and THIS happened...<see SS here>.

Now, you asked me to not specifically test these things out (jestfully points that accusing finger) and I listened ;)

But this isn't what was supposed to happen.

Edit: I tried to replicate this in the sandbox mode but I am unable to access the menu via the "L" key.  I've tried remapping but no dice right now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 01:20:51 am by Cinth »
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 02:24:57 am »
I could be mistaken, but I seem to notice a distinct lack of counterattack damage...is that intentional?  ???

Hot dang the counterattacks are indeed missing! I missed that in the last game - I ended up with pure ranged armies (Skadi, that pilfering woman!) by the time 0.816 rolled in.

Offline Winge

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:23 am »

Hot dang the counterattacks are indeed missing! I missed that in the last game - I ended up with pure ranged armies (Skadi, that pilfering woman!) by the time 0.816 rolled in.

I typically start a new game each patch.  It's very easy to notice the difference when there are only two units smacking each other around.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 08:28:54 am »
I wonder if ranged units should have something like a 1/2 counterattack strength. It seems to me that having melee close within range should be a soft counter to them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk