Author Topic: Star Wars Battlefront  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Star Wars Battlefront
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:53:50 am »
Has anyone actually played it? :D

I have been following along on twitch. I think it looks absolutely beautiful! Yes, it's your average FPS hamster wheel, and for that we can make fun of it, but I think they made it no less fun than any other battlefield game. Although I'm surprised they couldn't give the AT-AT a freaking cockpit. Vehicles need work. I don't like FPS games, and I probably won't play it, but I might turn on twitch once in a while to see a Star Wars battle. Some of the fuss over at RPS, I think some of the problem is some of the authors over there are middle-aged. They have played a lot of games, they know what the industry is like, and at a certain point you get jaded and you lose the excitement that comes along with a brand-new game. I remember how excited I was as a child when I got a brand-new game. I haven't felt like that since. So I think that's part of it, and you have to keep that in mind.

And, at least for this forum, you have a bunch of people that are not your typical Xbox live FPS gamers shouting obscenities and acting like idiots. These kinds of games attract those people, and I know there's just going to be a lot of people not interested in joining that kind of scene.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Star Wars Battlefront
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:46:21 am »
personally the reason I don't like is that from what I've seen of it on twitch it looks like battlefield with a re skin (and no I'm not middle aged I'm 19 actually and I used to play the old battlefront games when I was younger) and to be honest I don't relay get exited over games releasing at least in till I've seen the reviews of it.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 12:33:24 pm »
"Battlefield with a reskin" is pretty much alot of what I'd heard too, among a big pile of other things.   I'll just say, I aint heard all that much that's positive about it.  Nobody really taking the community for it into account, mind you; all complaints have been just about the game itself.

Hell, Battlefield Hardline turned out basically the exact same way.  ALot of people were angry about it, and "it's just a mod or reskin!" was thrown around for AWHILE.   And watching some of it, yeah... I could see why.   But then, it's what to expect from EA these days.

Mostly I just try to warn people NOT to pre-order something like this, or buy it immediately.  Wait till you can see some good, detailed reviews, from reviewers that you trust, before buying this one.  When EA is involved, this is always a good idea.  I wish I'd done that, with Simcity.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:07:00 pm »
Honestly I expected it to be a battlefield reskin so I must say I am not surprised, however I do really like the graphics of the game but I probably wont get it because I dont need to spend 80 bucks on a game for its graphics.
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:57:19 pm »
Wasn't Battlefront always a Battlefield reskin? 

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:57:53 pm »
It was a third person shooter iirc, so no.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 04:00:28 pm »
It was a third person shooter iirc, so no.
you could play it in first person(not that i think anybody really did) but the simple fact is that this iteration simply hasn't added anything to the series all it seems to have done is take things away.
c.r

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:59:26 pm »
Mhhh.. as someone who has over 1500 hours in BF3/BF4 and played the "open beta" or "demo" I can tell you one thing. Star Wars Battlefront is

NOT worthy of the name Battlefront, not even remotely.....
NOT Battlefield, should be clear, but needs mention
Exactly as horribly feeling as Hardline in terms of gunplay, only ramped up to 11 in terms of laser accurate 1 shot kills. If you hated hardcore mode in BF4 before the patches you will abhor SW Battlefront remake.

Has some very very COD'ified moments. If you want to feel like a red-shirt on an away mission, this is the game you play. Aka, you die a lot, and hope to find random pickups to get the "good stuff" where you then pwn 67k / 4d (My first round on that 40 player map, I was in the walker 90% of the game...)

So basically, horrible. It's going to be a pass for me the same way Hardline was a pass. These are extremely boring shooters imo that require nearly zero skill, just twitch gameplay, literally and figuratively.. ;) While Hardline went too far away from Battlefield gameplay, Star Wars Battlefront is literally COD with star wars theme and vehicles. You can't even control the big walkers it's just a walking turret.

And let me just say it. But no server browser means not even when this game is free would I play it. Because it means servers will not have options.... no variation. Just boring mainstream shooter stuff with starwars theme. Will sell a metric ton, but I won't buy it.

Also heroes.. are completely useless and the way the netcode works makes lasersword fights more like a glitchy break-dance with the silent hill nurses than cinematic.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:02:06 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:19:24 pm »
It sounds almost movie game-levels of bad from that description. :-\

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 08:42:04 pm »

But for many twitch addicted star-wars fans, that's exactly what they want. It really feels like your are "playing" the movies at times, and this is probably a big selling point for many. Visually and audibly impressive, but no beef behind it. It's a game that goes through the motions of a FPS, without ever really reaching a point where you say "this is something I wanna play 500+ hours". Well, for me anyway.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 08:43:48 pm »

But for many twitch addicted star-wars fans, that's exactly what they want. It really feels like your are "playing" the movies at times, and this is probably a big selling point for many. Visually and audibly impressive, but no beef behind it. It's a game that goes through the motions of a FPS, without ever really reaching a point where you say "this is something I wanna play 500+ hours". Well, for me anyway.

Sounds like alot of typical AAA crap these days.  Make it as much of a movie as possible!  Just be flashy!  Ugh. 

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:29:33 pm »

It doesn't even sound all that interesting to watch, though. Like, the casualty rate of a big planetside 2 brawl but none of the map results that proves why you fought over it. You don't even get to see where people are wandering off to in vehicles because they're stuck in a turret instead.

All I'd wanted was battlefront hd, basically. Make use of the post-ps2 level graphics, but give me a big pile of maps and reinforcements and galactic conquest and...stuff. Maybe add online multiplayer as a bonus I probably touch after trying it a little.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 07:20:31 am »

I fail to see though how a tiny map with what 20? 40? people max limit with people running around collecting tokens is supposed to make you feel like your playing a movie if you want that feeling then you could just play battlefront 2.
c.r

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:58 am »
I've always been of the opinion that if I want to play an FPS, I'll play Tribes. There's literally nothing better.
If I want to play a grand RTS, I'll play Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. There's literally nothing better.

But that's just opinion. But it's actually hilarious how similar and boring contemporary FPSs are.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 03:58:11 am »
I find that there's three categoris of FPS:

1. The always-more-of-the-same CoDs, BFs, MoHs, CS
2. The light-hearted-fun TFs, Tribes, FoFsand NS
3. The PTSD-inducing ones: ARMA, Insurgency, RO

And three others for RTS:

1. CnC by any other name: AoA, Starcrafts, Warcrafts, actual CnC, DoW1
2. CnC with a gimmick: SC, CoH, DoW2, PA
3. CnC without base building: Wargame, WaW, GC

Everything's the same to me. Nothing new under the sun etc. etc.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk