Author Topic: Post your desktop!  (Read 8504 times)

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
Post your desktop!
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:18:34 am »
(Yeah, I like these threads  :D)

So here is my desktop right now. It has been like this for a while, but this morning I had to recreate it from scratch due to computer retardation. It looks pretty much the same... I think  ;D

Click the picture to make it bigger, click it again to make it fullsize.

Post yours!  ;)

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
Re: Post your desktop!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 11:09:50 am »
Official member of the Clean Desktop Club. Can't stand Icons! For those of you who like my set up, the box in the center of the screen is Launchy (http://www.launchy.net/) and the desktop widgets are from Rainmeter (http://www.rainmeter.net/). That clock in the upper left shows everything from the current time and date to my CPU/RAM consumption and network traffic.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 11:34:55 am »
Why not?

I use my PC almost exclusively for gaming and the one or two pieces of software that won't run on the Mac like my remote control programming software.

The icons change and usually include about a dozen or so of the most recent games I'm playing. Some stay there even though I don't have active accounts (e.g., CoH, EQ2, Vanguard) for some reason I have yet to figure out for myself. :)

I would say I am more of a member of the "clean desktop club" than any other.

Cheers!

Offline Tankor Smash

• I got a Henna tatoo that said "Forever"
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 10:44:08 pm »
Hey,

Here's mine, you might say it's getting cluttered. I separate the games into genres (RPG, FPS and RTS), with demos being in the bottom left. The centre is where I keep my recently bought games.

Looking at it now, I'd say it got quite a bit cluttered. Also Commander in Chief 2009 is, in my humble opinion, a pile a dirt.
Testin Tidalis.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 11:58:54 pm »
Hey,

Here's mine, you might say it's getting cluttered. I separate the games into genres (RPG, FPS and RTS), with demos being in the bottom left. The centre is where I keep my recently bought games.

Looking at it now, I'd say it got quite a bit cluttered. Also Commander in Chief 2009 is, in my humble opinion, a pile a dirt.

You sir, could use Fences: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:16 am »
Had a big cleanup the other day. The icons on the desktop are for the things I use the most and I let the start menu and its handy search bar take care of everything else. My wallpaper changes with the seasons and although this one isn't very 'Springy' (as it is down here in Australia), it's nice and refreshing every time I look at it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:44:48 am by quickstix »

Offline ldlework

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:59:43 am »
This is what my XMonad desktop looks like. 10 dedicated workspaces coupled to a very efficient keyboard scheme all managed by a tiling window manager (XMonad). XMonad automatically tiles the windows in a workspace intelligently with configurable flows such as horizontal, vertical, circle, fullscreen-stack. I will never go back to a Z-Indexed window manager if I don't have to.

http://haskell.org/sitewiki/images/0/0b/NamingScheme.jpg

Offline Tankor Smash

• I got a Henna tatoo that said "Forever"
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 03:38:07 pm »
Hey,

You sir, could use Fences: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Hmm, I'mna try it out, it's free too on top of that! Thanks a bunch.
Testin Tidalis.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 09:46:44 pm »
This is what my XMonad desktop looks like. 10 dedicated workspaces coupled to a very efficient keyboard scheme all managed by a tiling window manager (XMonad). XMonad automatically tiles the windows in a workspace intelligently with configurable flows such as horizontal, vertical, circle, fullscreen-stack. I will never go back to a Z-Indexed window manager if I don't have to.

http://haskell.org/sitewiki/images/0/0b/NamingScheme.jpg

I can't believe someone on here is quoting Haskell and using the word Monad (even indirectly).

Long Live Yale University Computer Science! :)

(Z-Indexing for bonus points. God, we're such geeks...)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:49:15 pm by Admiral »

Offline darke

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 12:26:48 am »
Provided someone else is using Haskell and not me I'm fine. :)

I still think it's just as readable as APL, just minus all the odd characters. :)

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
  • om tare tuttare ture soha
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 10:23:59 pm »
I couldn't resist...

My desktop, That's the blackbox window manager running under Slackware 13 with AI War running in a Windows XP VM Guest on the left there. With that setup AI War runs faster than under a native Windows 7 on the same hardware (now that is just plain wrong)... Not to mention all the other advantages.....
Now I am getting started.    ;D

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:00 am »
I couldn't resist...

My desktop, That's the blackbox window manager running under Slackware 13 with AI War running in a Windows XP VM Guest on the left there. With that setup AI War runs faster than under a native Windows 7 on the same hardware (now that is just plain wrong)... Not to mention all the other advantages.....

Blackbox is delicious.

Offline Kordy

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 06:23:38 am »
Just vanilla win7 with a nice background and very basic rainmeter stuff.

*notices the Dwarf Fortress shortcut on post 1* Heh, go dorfs!

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 01:46:27 pm »
I couldn't resist...

That's cool...I've never tried running AI War under a VM, but it's always nice to meet another Slackware user :)  I use Windows 7 for my gaming box, but use Slackware 13 for my main desktop machines both at home and work.

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
  • om tare tuttare ture soha
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 12:25:08 am »

Just vanilla win7 with a nice background and very basic rainmeter stuff.

*notices the Dwarf Fortress shortcut on post 1* Heh, go dorfs!

Those http://oeg-home.ru/blog/2010/01/eve-spaceships-art-hi-res/ wallpapers are amazing. I mean, really. Almost (but not quite) makes me want to play EVE....

That's cool...I've never tried running AI War under a VM, but it's always nice to meet another Slackware user :)  I use Windows 7 for my gaming box, but use Slackware 13 for my main desktop machines both at home and work.
Slackware...... Sigh!

The amount of time I have spent in my life learning to support and configure other OS's.     NO MORE!
Life is too short and full of precious things to be wasting time with learning meaningless OS BS that is badly designed and only going to be re-designed to no good purpose with the next release....

:)   8)

If only people knew.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk