Author Topic: Good Shortform RTS  (Read 2393 times)

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
Good Shortform RTS
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:07:25 am »
I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for good shortform RTS games. Uni is really biting into my time these days, and having to stretch a single game of AI War over a long period of time (ie weeks, as my gaming time is really limited) is proving to be not much fun. So I'm in the market for a good RTS that you can get, say, a skirmish game finished in an hour or less. I really need to stretch my tactical itch, but AI War simply isn't working with my commitments at the moment  :'(

Offline ShadowOTE

Re: Good Shortform RTS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:14:31 am »
If the RUSE beta is still up on steam you might consider checking that out.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:38:18 pm »
If the RUSE beta is still up on steam you might consider checking that out.

RUSE is good. I'm in the same boat of not having too terribly much time for AI War, so as far as strategy games go, I've been spending a lot of time on turn based stuff, since you can just stop and pick up later, or super short stuff like Flotilla. Been playing that as well as SoaSE (Not really short, just shorter than AI War ::)), Civ 4 and Ground Control 2 (Yeah, I still play it.).

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:31:59 am »
Turn based sounds good, I've been meaning to pick up the full version of Flotilla as well. I actually bought Ground Control 2, but didn't play a lot due to it being bought in the phase where I kept buying games and never finishing them. Looks like it might be the time to give that a thorough playing.

I'd get into RUSE, but unfortunately I don't have the specs to play it (which is why I love AI War's system requirements). It's also the same reason I could never try out World In Conflict.

Thanks for the tips guys. :)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:50:22 am »
I'd suggest SC2, but too many people have been ripping into that on this forum :P
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:12:38 am »
I'd really like to try out SC2, it looks like fun and I like to think of myself as an open minded gamer. However...

It's just that my laptop can't really handle anything modern. Only 1.6Ghz dual core, 1GB ram and GeForce 7300Go. Fine for AI War, not so fine for anything else. I haven't even played SC1. And every time I start saving up for a gaming PC, I end up having to spend the savings on things I need. Which was a lot harder this time, as I had to get an eeePC for uni.

It's really hard to spend money intended for a good gaming rig on a netbook, which is even less suited for gaming than my laptop. It's a real shame RTS didn't really get into proper strategic gameplay and away from constant rushing until it hit system requirements I'm not able to handle.

The other downside is that I'm stuck with singleplayer and skirmish. Every gamer I know seems to class RTS as 'too hard'. That's a different matter though.

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »
I'd suggest SC2, but too many people have been ripping into that on this forum :P
* Spikey00 TROLLS SC2

--

Starcraft!  Command and Conquer 95/Red Alert/Tiberian Sun/Red Alert 2 (skipped the expansions), and additional magnificence with mods (RA2/YR => Mental Omega = isGood(1))!  RTS games as you should know.

CNC 95 and Tiberian Sun are free now (RA1 I don't know--should be...?) since EA released them--they should be somewhere on EA's commandandconquer site or on the internet.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 05:27:22 pm »
Spring rts.

If you pretended to like supcom/supcom2 demos,... its awesomer. And free-er.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline quickstix

• Buy Now
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 05:46:33 pm »
I just remembered that Total Annihiliation was released with its expansion on Impulse for only $10 as well.

Cheers for more suggestions. The only CnC game I don't have is the Yuri's Revenge expansion, but I'm hoping EA will eventually release them for free like all the previous games+expansions so I can get it from that. Red Alert 2 is pretty manic fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk