Author Topic: The Fleet Update: Such Excite, Very Wow  (Read 5933 times)

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • Love, Peace, and Calvinball
The Fleet Update: Such Excite, Very Wow
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:00:11 pm »
Just read through the backer email about the fleet update, and I have to say, WOW.

I definitely see why you've played this one close to your chest.  If someone told me without context "bonus ships aren't a thing anymore, and you can't directly build ships or control exactly what ships you get", I'd have completely not understood.  But reading the whole document, especially the bits about what problems you are trying to solve, I totally DO get it.  I feel like this idea is aimed exactly at me.  Every problem you've talked about addressing - the monotony of scouting, the lack of risk/reward, the choice paralysis, the fleetball issue - it's all stuff that I've constantly struggled with all the way back in AIWC.

Making scouting a "hard wall" in particular where you have to expend some kind of meaningful resource to push deeper into the galaxy speaks to me.  It's the kind of brilliant solution that fixes problems I barely knew I had, but that I never would have seen myself.

And just everything you are saying about fleets is the same way.  I've frequently been in the situation of having to figure out how to split my forces and the level of micro just becoming too much.  Plus capturing new fleets sounds like a game-changer.  And I love the idea that technologies enhance strategies instead of enhancing ships.  Only thing I might suggest on that note is some kind of minor incremental upgrade to ships - less as a huge gameplay incentive and more as a "feel good".  It seems like it might feel lackluster for a 90% upgraded ship to be exactly the same as a 0% one; even if the actual upgrade bonus was very minor, like 10% attack power per 25% upgrade points, it would just "feel" better.

Other then that I want to avoid trying to give any suggestions before I see this in play, because WOW, I am so excited to see this in play.  :)

Offline Lord Of Nothing

• Full Member Mark II
Re: The Fleet Update: Such Excite, Very Wow
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:18:52 pm »
I agree, it's very interesting. The fleet changes sound pretty huge, so I'm interested to see how they work out. I'm a little worried as to how reinforcement routing would work, though. I'm tempted to say I want something involving spending resources to get the ability to teleport them directly to the fleet, (Similar to the advanced army reinforcements in Ashes of the Singularity) but on further thought I wonder if that would actually be better as a super-perk for some fleets in particular that you don't get to choose.

I much prefer hard-wall type scouting, with lower micro, and while you can play that way now, it's not what the game is balanced around, and in my biased way I think I'll like the changes.

The removal of many of the utility units I have mixed feelings about- I think it's the right decision, but I always enjoyed watching them zoom around at their tasks after an attack (If, usually, not very efficiently. :)  )

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 11:02:51 pm »
I think I'm going to need a TLDR.

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 12:56:06 am »
TL;DR of fleets:

*Docks cannot be manually controlled
*You can't build starships, instead you must capture them
*Human-controlled starships are invincible, but lose the ability to attack if severely damaged
*Each starship (including the Ark) comes with a preset fleet unique to that starship
*Docks will automatically rebuild lost fleet ships
*You can separate fleet ships from their starship with no penalty, but if they die the replacements will rally to the starship
*Capturing more starships is the only way to increase your ship cap or acquire new ship types
*"Fleetbays" (basically ARSes) will offer a selection of starships to choose from, and you'll be able to see the associated fleet as well

TL;DR of scouting:

*Scout ships are gone
*Unexplored planets cannot be viewed; you can't send ships to them by any means
*Planets near your homeworld are explored, meaning you know what structures are on them
*Planets with your ships on them are "watched", meaning you have full visibility
*When you capture a planet, planets within a couple hops of it become explored
*As the AIP increases, more planets become explored
*There is a hack you can perform to make a planet permanently "watched", or to make an unexplored planet explored
*You can capture cartography stations to make groups of planets explored

TL;DR of technologies:

*All current techs are gone; techs do not unlock ships (probably) and definitely do not improve mark levels of single ships directly
*Each tech gives "upgrade points" to a certain set of ships in varying levels
*An example tech was mentioned that gives 100 points to all ships that use flak weapons, 25 points to all ships that use AOE weapons, and 10 points to all starships
*Each 100 upgrade points researched for a given ship type increases mark level by 1, and increases caps for that ship in fleets by some percentage
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:18:19 am by MaxAstro »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:31:07 am »
Interesting.
I did try and read over the doc last night and got some of that, but I did not see the changes to fleets, so that was helpful.

On the whole I'm on board, though I will likely quibble over some details

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 12:27:08 pm »
Same, here.  I'm very excited about the changes as a whole, especially because I feel like it's finally a definitive answer to "why should I play AIW2 instead of AIWC?"

But some of the specifics worry me and I'll be taking a close look at how they are implemented.  Still gonna wait to see and play the implementation before I try to give much feedback, though.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 03:14:55 pm »
I really like many of the parts of the proposals.

Some quibbles/thoughts I had.

Ship Upgrades
  • You don't want the player to have maxed out Flakk ships very early in the game, and then never have them improve after that.
    • This is effectively two problems.
    • You don't want players to be able to easily get the max mark of a ship class.
    • You don't want upgrade points to be "wasted" over cap.
  • A solution
    • Max Marks should only come from complete commitment to a line (e.g., Flakk) AND ~80+% heavy commitment to other lines (e.g., everything else).
    • This suggests a non-linear increase the power of marks. So Marks 1-5 might be a normal 25% improvement in performance, but Marks 6 & 7 would be an obscene 100% improvement. This would make achieving a Mark 6 or 7 shipclass something that is rare and limited per game, but you would really, REALLY feel the impact. (historical example: Master of Magic's experience levels for troops.)

Scouting: Moderate extension of the original proposal.
  • Planet statuses
    • Unexplored - No info
    • Explored - Stationary installations visible, historic mobile counts
    • Monitored(new) - Stationary installations visible, CURRENT mobile counts
    • Watched - Real-time visibility

• Spend hacking points (via the interface) to grant Explored status on planets with a cost (based on the distance from a player owned planet) and a duration (based on distance as well).
  • Far away planets cost more to see and for shorter periods of time.
  • Spend even more hacking points to grant Watched Status.
  • Players can send ships where ever there is a visible starlane to manually scout if desired, but any player presence (even cloaked) in a planetary costs AIP.
  • This promotes use of hacking points to explore instead of pickets in a rational way and penalizes the player for scouting micro.
  • Technologies that automatically grants Explored/Monitored/Watched status to all planets within X/Y/Z distance of a player owned planet. (And also lowers hacking cost to explore other planets).
  • Hide many starlanes at start of game and perhaps revealed through Cartography Centers and capturing viewing terminal wormholes at planets.

Dock Changes
  • If ships actually travel from production point to fleet (if not see fleet section below): A setting per Dock based on how dangerous a flight path a reinforcement should take
    • No hostile Planets
    • Limited hostile Planet travel
    • Full Speed Ahead!

Starships
  • Q: What happens to a fleet when the starship drops to 1 health? Perhaps trigger auto-withdrawal to nearest friendly planet?

Ark
  • Perhaps the ability to change your Ark type at a friendly planet?
  • Perhaps Ark types are a technology you unlock?

Removal Global Unit Caps
  • Offense Ship Caps per fleet with upgraded cap coming from technology sounds great to me.
  • Support fleets capped to planets makes sense to me. (You have 100 points to spend on engineers, labs, docks, etc per planet).

Fleets and control groups are the biggest can of worms
  • Q: Can ships be moved and controlled to another planetary well?
  • Q: Do reinforcement ships fly in game to the fleet from the producing dock or do they "appear" at the fleet at rate X proportional to combined build strength of all providing docks?
  • Q: How do you attack specific targets with a fleet?
  • Q: Should players be encouraged or discouraged from building uni-ship fleets (e.g., the bomber fleet, the sniper fleet, the redshirt fleet)
(in many ways individual ships/control groups in the prior version of AI Wars become fleets in the new proposal)

Thought: Embrace fleets all the way.
  • The player isn't micromanaging ships, he is the Grand Admiral. He gives general orders to each fleet and they take care of the details. Individual ship control IS NOT possible.
  • The player wants to take out an outpost. He sets his Bomber & Sniper fleets to attack a specific region/group of stationary targets. He sets his carrier and defense ships to guard the Bomber and Sniper fleets. Fireworks ensure. Individual ships make the best decision about movement and targeting relative to the centerpoint of the fleet.
  • The player needs to take out a specific building, he selects all fleets and clicks the 100% attack this thing button (unless you do no damage or are out of range, in which case you keep up with your fleet engaging at will or move to be in range of target).
  • Fleets are now more like procedurally defined ships with 'features/turrets' that are now ships instead.
  • Also, fleets rebuild ships based Dock build power (which is modified by danger and distance). Ships instantly "warp" in to the fleet location once completed. They don't really have a building dock.
  • Fleets repair based upon engineering ship fleet capacity.
  • When all fleets are full, docks don't waste build strength, but 'bank/save' build points that can then be spent at a higher rate when reinforcements are required. These might consume resources at the time of building or at the time of point banking/saving.
[/list]
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 03:39:04 pm »
I'm strongly opposed to the idea of fleets becoming "squads but bigger".  I was worried it was heading in that direction when I first saw the writeup, and very relieved that it didn't go there.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 10:28:08 am »
I'm really glad you guys are pleased. :)

Without getting into TOO many details in advance of something you can play:

1. The whole thing with upgrading ships and "not having max flak units too early" or whatever is not something you need to worry about.  The max mark level is currently 7, as you might recall, rather than 5 as in the first game.  Most of the tech types only have 4ish upgrade levels to them, and some of those get stupid expensive toward the top end of them, science-wise.  Some ship classes benefit from multiple tech types, so having two "first unlocks" on two techs as a cheap thing can get certain ship classes to mark 3 pretty fast. 

That's exciting and all... but with a lot of ships that means it's impossible to get to mark 5 or beyond with just global tech upgrades, and/or that it would be inefficient to do so.  Since there are a bunch of variants of things like grenade launchers, some of those actually benefit from different tech upgrades, too -- there's a variant that is more of a Light class ship, aka more of a glass cannon, etc.  So you wind up with your glass cannon grenade launchers upgraded a bit differently from your grenade launchers that are more traditional, or more tanky, or vampiric, or whatever.  So in other words, despite the techs being global, you're going to wind up with different ship lines having different mark levels in different fleets.  This fleet has vampire grenade launchers that are only mark 3, versus the glass cannon grenade launchers in that other fleet are mark 5.

And that's BEFORE you get into fleet-specific upgrades, which is one of my favorite meat-and-potatoes things in this new update.  Being able to have a fleet fight for a while and gain EXP, and then you say "cashing in that EXP, plus maybe some science, OR just a much larger amount of science, makes all the ships in this fleet, regardless of type, get +1 to mark."  So you might have an experienced long-term fleet that you've got some emotional attachment to and have named, which has seen a lot of combat and has glass grenade launchers at mark 6, unlike all the other fleets which are still at 5.

So there's a much more sophisticated resource allocation issue at play with science, as well as where and when you deploy which fleets and how you upgrade them, than might be evident from just scanning the document.

2. And that's before we get into other fleet-specific upgrades, such as "hack a thing here in order to increase the ship cap for some or all lines in this fleet, and/or to add some dyson ships into this particular fleet."  So other ways to upgrade fleets is very much part of the plan.  You'll actually likely be juggling upgrades a lot more continuously over time than you were previously, despite the simplification in mechanics.  And despite the reduction in number of options per decision point. My hope is that sometimes you find yourself choosing to use fleets in certain "non-optimal" ways from a purely military standpoint in order to train them up and gain EXP for making them more useful later.

3. Scouting: those are some interesting ideas, and I might go with some of that.  The main thing is that I want to keep it simple, because frankly there's going to be plenty of other things for you to think about.  And there are some newer thoughts about missions and objectives (kind of a "quests" system that aren't even in the documents you saw there that I think will both provide middle-term goals for players who want them, a bit of narrative spice, and take the place of what would otherwise be some resource-juggling for things like monitoring systems.  I'm less interested in resource juggling than I am in investment strategies and how those pay off long term (or blow up on you), and providing remediation options for poor or wise investments.

Overall I've been thinking a lot about both positive and negative feedback loops, and the first game managed those pretty well kind of by accident.  But in this game, there are more opportunities for positive feedback loops with some of your fleets becoming stupid-powerful, if you want.  You having technologically outclassed the AI with a fleet or two is very much a possibility, and you're running around stomping their mark II stuff with a mark VII fleet.  But that sort of positive feedback loop can actually be a trap, because it can lead to your other fleets being too unpowerful to properly defend when a CPA strikes, or it can lead to things that zombify your units being uncannily dangerous because only your one fleet is even able to deal with the mark VII ships you accidentally just gave to the AI.  Etc.

Anyway, I think there are a lot of very interesting ramifications to these systems that folks haven't seen yet, although I'm glad you're seeing the first wave of interesting ramifications.  A lot of the secondary ramifications I didn't realize until I had been in the code for hours and was kind of confronted with it in a concrete way, and then I made design adjustments to augment those further to make them even more interesting.  So they wouldn't be found in the document, and they're not the sort of thing you'd be likely to think of until you actually get a hands-on with it (hopefully next week sometime!), just because The Game Is Big (tm) and there are cascades of effects from all this.

Some things will also be horribly suboptimal at first because science costs will be off, or we need to add in more ways to do upgrades that are planned for 0.900 but won't be in 0.850, or whatever else.  So big grains of salt on the 0.850 version, which will only be about 70% of the vision for 0.900, if that.

4. Starships are gone and are just Frigates now, aka a bigger version of Strikecraft.  They are useful as midsized things that fight, but they're just "big ships that go in a fleet" now.  So when they get low on health, they just die.  The Factories (formerly docks and starship constructors) auto-build things for them.

5. Flagships (which are basically Golems or Arks) can't die, they only get crippled.  At lower than 10% health they can't have replacement ships produced for them anymore, nor can they shoot their weapons or use other special abilities.  You don't get just one Ark type anymore, and so there's no swapping out a centerpiece unit for a fleet; work with what you find, or choose something better.  You might have 4 different Arks, or 3 Arks that are identical but have different fleets; their role is very different.  You need to take them back to somewhere to heal them, or heal them in-situ with combat engineers if you have a fleet that has those.

6. Factories can't send from afar, only for the planet they are on or adjacent planets.  So any sort of complex automation for them is not required.  They also automatically build for all the fleets you have that are on that planet or adjacent to it, all at once, every ship type at once, so you don't get choices on what they build or how other than how you position your fleets and docks.  You can turn off a dock, but that's literally the only control that you have over them.  I don't have any intention of giving players finer control of them, because that gets into a bunch of micro and interface fiddling that is daunting for new and long-term players, and sometimes limitations in control actually cause interesting gameplay circumstances.

For instance, in the first game one thing you had to do sometimes was control a planet in an inconvenient place because it had an Advanced Factory that let you build mark 4 ships.  In this game there isn't any mechanic like that, and hasn't been for a while.  That kinda made me sad a bit.  But the logistical issues that AFs caused in the first game were a huge pain and not worth the trouble.

What is NEW, however, is now you'll have an incentive to sometimes hold an inconvenient forward planet so you can put a dock or five on it and thus get your fleets supplied from right there.  So those sorts of decisions of how to handle refleeting are now things that are essentially related to territory capture and holding, which of course comes with the aggro of the AI (via AIP and how they handle reinforcements), and this creates interesting situations and opportunities, plus implicit reasons for having multiple fleets at multiple parts of the galaxy, versus just one bottleneck.

It won't stop a turtle from doing what a turtle does, but it's like putting out a little feeler planet that you use as much as you can, but that probably dies a lot.  It's not quite a whipping boy, but it's in that vein.  It's certainly expendable, and likely to get attacked a lot more frequently.  Unlike with AFs in the first game, there's no risk of a permanent loss with that sort of forward position, which is good.  So in some ways this is more like a beachhead from the first game.

The nice thing is that none of this really requires any one way to play: you can still take few planets and fight smart by really focusing on upgrading just a few fleets and using them really well, or you can take more planets and more fleets and upgrade them more broadly, and you've got more of a large logistical challenge rather than a smaller guerrilla forces challenge.  One player might have a tiny ship cap of really advanced stuff because of their choices, while another has 10x or 20x the ship cap but only at an average level.  I have a feeling it will be months before we see all the different ways that players can exploit this. ;)

Anyway, so a lot of the UI concerns that people are naturally going to have about "I want to automate this and that xyz ways" are now something I'm hand-waving away with "nope, sorry, the 'UI' for that is how you choose to expand your empire now, and where you put docks and fleets."  Which if you think about it makes sense, because it gets back to the core ethos of spending aggro/AIP in order to gain new things.  And to the core ethos of "what is going on is evident on the game map, not in a billion submenus."  Even though in some ways there are more submenus coming up than the first game had or this one had previously...

7. The concerns about fleets and control groups are excellent ones, and are somewhat addressed in the minutiae of the document, but a lot of things relating to control groups in particular are things I discovered answers for during implementation, and am still shaking out some details on.  I think you'll be pleased with the results, but basically none of that stuff is a concern because of the nature of the implementation.  This is one of those areas where I think it's best if you just actually see it in practice once we get there, over the next few weeks, because me trying to describe it is pretty hard versus just getting to see it in practice.

8. Similarly, in terms of "embracing fleets all the way," I think most of that stuff is actually a bit to the side of where I've wanted to take this.  There are a lot of knock-on effects of the current designs of fleets and factories and whatnot that the document doesn't make clear, because I didn't realize them until I was further into implementation.  Some of those are discussed earlier in this post of mine, but there are others that are only going to become evident when you have your hands on it.  Suffice it to say, I'm definitely embracing fleets all the way, but doing so without taking away things like the control of individual units; I think that people would just feel... as if they were behind a glass wall, if I did that.

One big thing that I am planning that I haven't mentioned anywhere yet, and which won't be in the 0.850 but will hopefully be in 0.900, is a revamp of the sidebar to not really show ship icons the way that it has been showing them on the Ships tab, but to instead show fleets.  I haven't fully figured that out yet, but basically making things a lot more digestible in terms of "here's the status of my fleets as a whole, and how they are doing, and I can hover for details" is a big thing.  And looking at ships as just being a part of a fleet and thus the core performance characteristics of a fleet as being more important than a specific ship line within the fleet is also a big deal.

Also... you aren't getting to design fleets, per se, recall.  Not from scratch anyhow.  So it's a matter of how you're capturing fleets and upgrading them, and then where you use them.  If you have an all-bombers fleet that is powerful it's because you found that and upgraded it a bunch, not because that was something you set out to craft in a Legos-style fashion.  From that vantage point, I have no intention of punishing you for having that style of awesome thing; some runs in a roguelike you just plain out get to be The Terminator, and there's a big satisfaction in that.

That's not to say that the AI won't have some responses to all that, but there will certainly be cases where a positive feedback loop in your favor makes you overpowered compared to the norm, and that's ok with me.  The traditional style of game victory is then going to be pathetically easy compared to your usual fare for that difficulty level, and you might view that as a bad thing or as a good thing.  Yay satisfaction of stomping the enemy.

EXCEPT.  You all know that I love enticing players to engage in brinkmanship with themselves.  And that's where some of the missions come in.  Badger and I have been talking about various other alternative victory conditions for a while, and I've been toying with ideas on some very difficult and out-of-reach-most-of-the-time victory conditions that would manifest as missions that only show up if you've managed to get into a positive feeback loop of a certain power.  Aka, you've been absolutely stomping the AI for a while and a "standard" victory is a given for you at this point.  But the game has this option for a "super duper victory" that is suddenly within reach... and that puts you at risk of losing everything.  Do you go for the super-duper victory, and the notch on your belt (and accompanying Steam Achievement of course) that this entails?  Things will be very hard all of a sudden again if you open that can of worms.  Right now you have the upper hand and could just got for an easy kill on the direct victory, whereas if you go for the super-win you might not win at all... but next campaign you might not be in a position where you can even consider this sort of super-win... and hence the conundrum and the brinkmanship.

Sometimes the answer isn't a carrot or a stick, per se, but secondary objectives that encourage you to risk everything that you'be built up if you're overpowered.  Probably that stuff won't make it into 0.900, but I do hope for it to be in for 1.0 because I think it's really important.  You getting overpowered should be a thing that is celebrated by giving you a chance to fly too close to the sun for some extra glory.  It's not time to hit you with the nerf bat or get out a bunch of rubberband-AI techniques.  You should be able to go on your merry Terminator-stomping way if you're satisfied with that.  But look at this grail just out of reach... I bet you're a bad enough dude to rescue that president... ;)

---

Anyway!  The document about 0.900 is kind of just the launching point for a lot of much more interesting things that aren't going to become apparent for another month or so, I expect.  But it's laying the groundwork.  And my hope is that we can get out of interface pain areas, and things that you want to automate, and things that are micro choices... and into areas where you're gobbling up systems and having to think about the long-term consequences of your growing power... and where you're trying to trascend a lot more than just a black and white "you win" situation.  Giving you chances to get too greedy and accidentally hang yourself. ;)

Lots of good stuff to come!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 11:14:57 am »
Chris, it's no secret that AI War is one of my favorite games of all time, but you've now gotten me more excited about it than I have been in years.  Everything you just posted continues to speak to me, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Since the original prerelease of AIW2, I've fired the game up several times, but more and more with the feeling of "this is basically the same game as AIWC, with the same fun parts and fiddly bits, but fewer features... so why not just play AIWC?"  As I said earlier in this thread, you just gave the definitive answer to that question.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 12:35:45 pm »
Thanks, I really appreciate that. :)

And you've been around these forums since basically right after the Steam release (you showed up in 2010), so having someone so long-term-involved as a player getting the vision here is definitely comforting!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 01:12:20 pm »
I started playing the game before the Steam release (until recently when I said "screw it, Arcen is worth more money" and re-bought several things, I used to get messed up when I reinstalled because some expansions I had on Steam and others I didn't).

But I played for quite a while before I decided to join the forums.  ...Partly out of embarrassment, because IIRC my original copy of the game was given to me by a friend (also how I know I played pre-Steam), and I didn't feel comfortable posting here until I'd bought the game for myself.

My initial attraction to AI War was mostly that it was unlike anything I'd ever played before.  However, the reason it stuck with me past that early sense of wonderment is very much what you are talking about focusing on with this update - the sense of risk/reward and "making investments".  "Okay, here are four planets, which of them are worth the AIP cost?  If I take this planet I can get a starship constructor near my homeworld, but should I hold out for a planet with more resource nodes? Should I spend my science on raid starships so I can hunt data centers, or on better turrets for my whipping boy?"  That kind of decision making is what I see as the heart of the game and something I've always wanted more of.  It may sound odd, but I often compare AI War to X-Com - they both scratch a similar itch in the sense of having to commit to strategic choices, and then adapt your tactical play to match.

And some of my favorite experiences come when the game forces me to change from the strategy I wanted to use.  "Well crap, I didn't want to spend science on raid sharships this game, but look at that bottleneck; there's no way I'm cracking that without raiding some of those key structures..."

On the flip side, towards the end of AIWC I definitely did start to feel that there were SO MANY choices that they became less meaningful.  I found myself playing similar strategies each game as a combination of choice paralysis and because there were so many ways to achieve the same results that certain strategies basically worked all the time; the sense of being pushed out of my comfort zone wasn't really there.  Unless I turned the difficulty up, but then the game just became a grind.  Build a fleet, get it killed taking out 20% of a planet.  Wait to refleet.  Repeat five times.  You have a new planet.  Build a fleet for the next planet...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:21:21 pm by MaxAstro »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 02:14:03 pm »
It's all good on the pirating, I've certainly done that myself before with titles I wasn't sure about. :)

And you're definitely spot on in terms of what I was trying to accomplish with AIWC.  And I kind of lost interest in AIWC after the 4th expansion for much of the same reasons you're describing.  After Ancient Shadows, I basically checked out of that game and worked on new stuff, and it was all Keith from then on.  He took it in some surprising new directions that added some of what became the most iconic bits of the game (Fallen Spire?  Etc), but the core design was getting hit by an incredible amount of bloat by then in terms of just too many options in kinda the wrong way.

That wasn't Keith's fault, but was just the logical consequence of my core design getting umpteen bonus ship types thrown into it, and all the other goodies.  Those goodies were exciting on the one hand, but also just... the game wasn't built for quite that amount of variety when I was first designing it, and our redesigns only took it so far in terms of making it palatable.

This sequel has been a journey of discovery, where we knew from the start we wanted "effectively infinite" numbers of types of ships to be a possibility thanks to modding being a core bit of it, and trying to redesign the game to handle that without feeling samey has been a major challenge until now.  I've been really disgruntled about that until earlier this month with the ideas for 0.900.  Keith and I both tried various things to try to solve it, but none of it was really working until now.

And of course, "it works now" is a theoretical still, but fingers crossed... ;)

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 03:24:09 pm »
Fallen Spire is actually a big thing that kept my interest long after I was feeling burned out on the other bits, ironically.  Mostly because it forced me out of my comfort zone.  Kinda like you were talking about with "winning vs super-winning" - the drive to get that Fallen Spire super-win was real.  :)

Never have managed it, though.  I love your game, but I kinda suck at it.  :P

But it did very much feel like a separate game mode.  Like either you were playing AI War, or you were playing Fallen Spire.  It would be cool to see that kind of narrative-driven, extra challenging quest integrated into the game more and feeling more like an organic part of playing.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 06:39:00 pm »
I'm excited for this update. I hope we are not throwing shade on the Fallen Spire. I lost at least 100 hours on that expansion alone (and it was worth it).
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk