Author Topic: General updates 6/19.  (Read 3299 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
General updates 6/19.
« on: June 19, 2017, 09:26:04 pm »
Lots of progress today on the whole sound subsystem and buses and so forth on my part.  Have yet to see if it actually works or not, but the data is packaged up nicely and things are architecturally almost complete.  Some of the biggest problems (over-saturation of some sound effects) I think I've mostly gotten solved, though it's going to be a "proof is in the pudding" sort of thing.  I expect lots of tuning of data to fit test results.  It's very, very moddable, though, which I'm super pleased about in terms of how I implemented it.

Keith is closing in on the end of batch 7 of the ships, after which he's going to be playing the game and fixing things that bug him and repeating that cycle for quite some time, as well as responding to all the various things on mantis and the forums that other folks bring up.

On that note, I also went ahead and assigned all the things on mantis at this point, because there's a lot of stuff on there that I want to blow through on my end, too.  I had mentally earmarked a lot of things as they came in and I read them, but now I've actually done the assignments.  I always read them as they come in, and I'm pretty sure Keith does as well (or he does it in batches a few times a week at least), so there's not ever a real surprise as to what's there, but sometimes I have to let them kind of mellow while I think about what I want to assign... or something like that.

Anyhow, just in general trying to clear my own decks so that I can focus more on my other project but without holding AI War 2 back in any way, and then meanwhile Keith is powering through the last of the pre-EA content so that he can then focus on the player experience after that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: General updates 6/19.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:38 am »
How is Pablo's composing coming along? Any updates on the music front?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:58:49 am »
It's coming!  It's one of those things where he winds up with lots of tracks in various states of composition and editing, and then gets them to mastering, etc.

It's not quite as simple as just composing, because there's also all the mixing and the various note-editing things to make virtual instruments sound as good as possible, etc.  Various things don't sound right without the proper attack (or lack of attack) on notes that he's playing on the piano, etc.  Then of course there are sample loops for things like drums or whatnot, but having things like an orchestra playing the melody obviously doesn't work for that.  In some cases he does live performance recording of things like vocals (of course) or electric guitar (because that just doesn't work well as a virtual instrument), but it's a lengthy process.

Anyhow, it's a very non-linear process, and not something where he can just go "these concrete things need to happen, then I'm done."  If he had all live performers that would be a lot simpler. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:41:22 pm »
So can you reveal the contents of the last ships batch? I feel like it's likely to contain the Dyson Sphere, Devourer Golem and maybe the Botnet Golem, but I'm actually kinda stumped as to what else is in it.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 06:53:34 pm »
So can you reveal the contents of the last ships batch? I feel like it's likely to contain the Dyson Sphere, Devourer Golem and maybe the Botnet Golem, but I'm actually kinda stumped as to what else is in it.
Got three of them. There's a couple other biggies.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:29:03 am »
I split this topic, since it became so useful on the other segment I figured that would be good to stay in the modding section. :)

https://forums.arcengames.com/ai-war-ii/modding-dyson-spheres-with-code-samples/

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 11:01:03 am »
I'm still trying to figure out what else is in batch 7. 2 more guesses. Mercenaries and Zenith Trader?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk