Author Topic: AI War 2 v0.814 Released! "Of Runaway AIs And Tech Cost Revamps"  (Read 1400 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
AI War 2 v0.814 Released! "Of Runaway AIs And Tech Cost Revamps"
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:23:32 pm »
Release notes here.

This version has a surprisingly-robust revamp of the tech costs and the scaling between tech levels in general, thanks to Puffin.  I didn't have any idea this was coming, and he trialed this with players on the forums first and it quickly became clear that the new approach is better.  Huge kudos!

Slightly more pressingly, there was a big bug in the prior version that was causing the AI to get massively strong massively quickly.  This was due to some xml values being more than a little opaque in their meaning.  To aid in meaning, I split those out into three different sub-values instead, now.  But if you were wondering why the last build was suddenly kicking your butt instantly, that's what it was.  Sorry about that!

DarkArchon figured out what was going on with transports and similar not showing their paths on the galaxy map when you try to predict routes from one place to another, and/or them being too hard to see in general.  Big thanks there!

My illness has been compounded by allergies and got a bit worse, so I've been mentally sluggish this week.  I plan on getting a bit more done tonight and tomorrow in terms of that document for "substantial changes" that I was referring to last release.  I guess I'll just repeat my notes from last time, on that subject:

"I'm writing up a document that explains my design for some substantial changes -- please hold your pitchforks -- that I think will address most of the complaints people have about control groups, fleet management, fleetballing, the docks ui, and maybe even scouting.  That last bit I hadn't expected to tackle, but as I've been going through things in a comprehensive fashion I realized that it's actually just as much related as the rest of it."

"I think it's only a couple of days of work for me once I finish writing it up, so the design and writeup process is longer than the actual implementation time if I'm correct on that.  But this has been a bugbear set of issues for me for over a year, and I'd rather measure twice and cut once on it."

"It's also a short enough amount of work once it is done that I'm planning on inflicting it on everybody AS I give you the explanation document, rather than giving you the document first. ;)  My rationale for that is that we can all nitpick the theory of it forever, but it's hard for anyone to see exactly what I have in my head from a document and not just react to parts of it.  Much easier to have the full thing out and then react to that, and the document then serves the purpose of illustrating if there's some place where the actual implementation deviates from intent, or where further refinements or rework is needed to keep to the spirit of the intent."

The UI framework that I was looking into may be amazing, but unfortunately may be a nonstarter due to lack of linux support.  Bummer!  That would have saved a huge amount of work on my part, but there's potentially no real workaround there.  Their engineers are looking into it, but my hopes aren't high.  Back to the notes from last time:

"Assuming that the big changes go over well with folks, then that's the last big design hurdle remaining for the game, prior to 1.0 at least.  The new plan for multiplayer, detailed two releases back, will still need to be implemented, and the ui will need to be majorly updated in one fashion or another, but everything else is just a matter of content and getting individual slices of work done, versus something that is a larger design question.  So that's very good!  It was important for me to start nailing the really tough stuff as soon as I got back to work, since I really didn't want that hanging over me."

"As noted recently, I am fully back at work now.  If you were wondering what was up, I recently put together a video explanation of what happened.  I don't go into a lot of detail, for privacy reasons, but there's enough there to get the important pieces across.  I'm increasingly happy, for a variety of reasons, and that's a real relief.  Life is still a work in progress, and finances even more so, but there's a path forward."

Continual thanks to Badger, Puffin, and Quinn for having held down the fort while I was away.

Problem With The Latest Build?

If you right-click the game in Steam and choose properties, then go to the Betas tab of the window that pops up, you'll see a variety of options.  You can always choose most_recent_stable from that build to get what is essentially one-build-back.  Or two builds back if the last build had a known problem, etc.  Essentially it's a way to keep yourself off the very bleeding edge of updates, if you so desire.

The Usual Reminders

Quick reminder of our new Steam Developer Page.  If you follow us there, you'll be notified about any game releases we do.

Also: Would you mind leaving a Steam review for some/any of our games?  It doesn't have to be much more detailed than a thumbs up, but if you like a game we made and want more people to find it, that's how you make it happen.  Reviews make a material difference, and like most indies, we could really use the support.

Enjoy!

Chris
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: AI War 2 v0.814 Released! "Of Runaway AIs And Tech Cost Revamps"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:18:54 pm »
Since .814 never seems to have made it to Steam, we should just also push .815 too when you get the chance.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:25:38 pm »
Looks like .814 finally made it to Steam!

Offline AnnoyingOrange

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 07:23:18 am »
I kinda liked getting bullied by 100+ strenght waves half an hour in, not gonna lie.
I guess I'll try modding it back in, should be pretty easy as it's just KDL_VanillaConstants edits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk