Author Topic: skipping planets?  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
skipping planets?
« on: December 26, 2014, 09:54:09 am »
I hear a lot of people talking about skipping undesirable planets to go for desirable planets. I know that you are supposed to load up your ships on troop transports to get them there, but am I missing something?
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
Re: skipping planets?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:50:12 pm »
Basically, by "skipping planets" you just avoid destroying the command center there to not take an AIP hit for a planet you don't need. You should consider neutering it (destroying all guard posts) so that it will receive far fewer reinforcements, and you don't necessarily need transports depending on how far away the planet you want to take is.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 09:42:36 pm »
Wait a second, do guard posts increase the amount of reinforcements a ai planet will recieve?
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 02:30:16 am »
Basically, by "skipping planets" you just avoid destroying the command center there to not take an AIP hit for a planet you don't need. You should consider neutering it
No all you need to do is get rid of the Tachyon Guardians on the wormholes you're going to use and use Assault Transports or Cloaker Starships to literally ignore everything. No need to care about Guard Posts or reinforcements. It doesn't matter if that planet has 400 Hybrids and 1000 AI ships since you're cloaked and just flying by.

Wait a second, do guard posts increase the amount of reinforcements a ai planet will recieve?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 02:32:33 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 06:02:45 am »
Basically, by "skipping planets" you just avoid destroying the command center there to not take an AIP hit for a planet you don't need. You should consider neutering it
No all you need to do is get rid of the Tachyon Guardians on the wormholes you're going to use and use Assault Transports or Cloaker Starships to literally ignore everything. No need to care about Guard Posts or reinforcements. It doesn't matter if that planet has 400 Hybrids and 1000 AI ships since you're cloaked and just flying by.

I suppose my information is outdated. Don't reinforcements get freed in CPAs though, so it would still be a risk of having a bunch of ships loosed in between your worlds? I guess if your defenses are good enough it doesn't really matter, but even then I personally prefer to have no ships than avoidable ships.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 06:38:58 am »
Don't reinforcements get freed in CPAs though, so it would still be a risk of having a bunch of ships loosed in between your worlds? I guess if your defenses are good enough it doesn't really matter, but even then I personally prefer to have no ships than avoidable ships.
I don't think all reinforcements get freed but maybe some. If I remember correctly most of the strength comes from the strategic reserve and special forces. And I usually have about 1000-4000 threat at all times but I don't care since I have always have strong defenses.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 10:48:11 am »
What's knowledge raiding? Whenever I move science labs onto an enemy planet it says they cannot gather knowledge.
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline Bognor

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:12:21 am »
You need to use a hacker, rather than an ordinary science lab.  You build the hacker from the same menu you build the science lab. 

I think the term "knowledge raiding" is actually obsolete, and it's now just called "knowledge hacking" in-game.
Your computer can help defeat malaria!
Please visit the World Community Grid to find out how.

Offline Zebeast46

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 12:14:20 pm »
I thought it had something to do with a mark 3 science lab, but needless to say I was mistaken.
AI 1 = Chris.

AI 2 = Keith.

Taken from Bognor

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 12:30:34 pm »
the amount of hacking points you get in the course of a game are limited though, so be very careful with what you want to spend them on. Consequences will be severe if you try to hack to much.

Offline Bognor

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 07:53:06 am »
I thought it had something to do with a mark 3 science lab, but needless to say I was mistaken.
If my memory is good, Mark 3 Science Labs used to do knowledge raiding, and evolved into the Hacker we have today.  Sounds like you read an out-of-date article on the wiki (there are lots of those).
Your computer can help defeat malaria!
Please visit the World Community Grid to find out how.

Offline tadrinth

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:19:50 pm »

Yep, that was added at some point, I think around 7.023.  I believe it's +10% per guard post.  Not seeing it mentioned in the patch notes so I may be crazy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk