Author Topic: Of Forcefields and Their Uses  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Pandemic

• Full Member Mark II
Of Forcefields and Their Uses
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:41:58 pm »
Obviously, their uses can be easily separated into two main catagories: attacking and defending. I've found two key uses, one for attacking, one for defending, but I'd like to expand my knowledge of them :).

Attacking: The Plug
I find the Mark 1 FF you get at the beginning if extremely useful for maybe like, 5 minutes, then I have enough defenses to hold down the fort. After that I felt that deleting it (and using the energy it was consuming to make ships) was the best course, but not so now. I like playing on stringy maps, where the planets are mostly linear. Because of this, I find it highly effective to just have my FF follow my units through the wormhole, and just stop. Right there. On the wormhole. This frees up most (if not all) of my units to attack rather then keep the enemy from running in and counter-attacking, and does a better job of it then an assortment of ships.

Defending: The Electric Socket
Imagine the situation: I'm on my home planet, and hundreds of AI ships are ready to fly through my, MY, wormhole, and I can do nothing about it. I normally threw 1 FF somewhere around it to manipulate the ships that came through. But then I thought about it. If you have a single point where you know something will happen (AI ships will come through), hundreds of them, and you have a weapon that will hit all of them (Electric Turret), and they all stay in that place, they will die :P. Some ships are immune to tractor beams though, and will simply fly awayyyyyy before my turrets can kill them. Others get caught, but kill the turrets before they die. SOLUTION! Create 3 (or 4) forcefields around the wormhole, in such a way that when the enemy warps through, they are stuck between the forcefields. Place the tractor beams and electric turrets as close to the FF's as possible, and if you're exceedingly rich, place mines where the shields overlap (as that is where they'll shrink first). Result? Dead stuff. While this is really, really expensive, and probably (definitely :P) not the most cost-effective way to secure a wormhole, it's also the best that I've seen thus far (although, I will concede that I've not seen a lot :-X). But hey, I'm sorry, but I find it very fun to watch as the AI sends 300 ships at me, only to be trapped, tractor beamed, and zapped to death is arguably the funnest thing I've ever seen.

Anybody else seen some epic, ground-breaking uses for these wonders of technology?

-Pandemic
http://www.di.fm/wma/trance.asx
"Freedom is the ability to say 2 plus 2 makes 4. If that is granted, all else follows."  -George Orwell, 1984

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
Re: Of Forcefields and Their Uses
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:52:23 pm »
their main use for me is a mobile base.
I tend to move a mk2 forcefield, mobile builder, and 2-4 science labs in a control group, with a second group of 5 mk2 engineers in a group. Colony ships are added to the first group when I need them, but typically they are built as close to the new planet as possible.

Adding a second mk2 forcefield makes them effectively invincible, as long as you have supply ... hint, turning off a forcefield means the other one protects it. 5 engineers repairs them really fast :)

Also means I can drop turrets around wherever they are, and mk2 engineers can build from inside the shield.
Presto - a mobile base complete with guns and defenses. Add colony ship when ready, and build the command station whenever. Build a new shield for the command station (if you need one.. for string maps not so much)
Keeping units from travelling back through the wormhole you just came through is a defensive use as well, I suppose - The command station I build is usually fairly close to the wormhole I just came out of, so I try to keep them on top of the wormhole and the command station. Keeps ships from travelling back down the chain

As per defensive use - ALWAYS keep 2-3 forcefields around your home station. Nothing sucks more than a particularly large group of raiders / raptors / space planes slipping past your tractors and hitting your command station.

I've used forcefields also to protect a large cluster of tractor beams near a wormhole, as they arent penalized by shooting out of them.. Helps keeps things alive.

Group moving them is good for planet hopping as well - its relatively easy to move a support group of builders/colony ships/etc through a hostile planet (done up to mk4..) with a forcefield protecting them.
Of course it also makes a good place to put ships when they are under fire to heal them..
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Shardz

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:46:45 am »
I did this same exact tactic with force fields a few nights ago in this epic saga I'm playing currently (13 hours +). I basically had the AI's home planet on the other side of the wormhole and my planet was setup as a makeshift command center to take it over and run (AI's home was at the end of a branch map - dead end). I slammed down some tractor beams, rocket launchers, turrets, and whatever I had handy to encircle the wormhole, then used four Mk1 force fields setup like a four leaf clover to shield them and hide my ships in - basically playing sneaky tiger in the grass as I lured a ton of ships through the wormhole with peek-a-boo tactics. I wouldn't waste my time with this strategy if I wasn't helplessly outnumbered as it takes time to get it right, but the AI couldn't touch any of my defenses OR my ships and I chewed them up enough to go in there and claim my final prize! :)

Offline Harry

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 04:01:35 pm »
Interesting ideas.  So if you trap AI ships inside your own force field, can you shoot through the force field without damaging it?

Offline Pandemic

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:47:00 pm »
Interesting ideas.  So if you trap AI ships inside your own force field, can you shoot through the force field without damaging it?
Actually, I'm not entirely sure. I believe so... That doesn't happen commonly, if at all, due to the mechanics of FFs. They push the enemy units out; all but structures. Does a wonderful job of clearing the wormhole of units, but you still have the structures to deal with.

And as a sidenote, your own units can obviously shoot out of the forcefield, but at a reduced attack :P. I didn't realize this until a little bit ago...

-Pandemic
http://www.di.fm/wma/trance.asx
"Freedom is the ability to say 2 plus 2 makes 4. If that is granted, all else follows."  -George Orwell, 1984

Offline carlosjuero

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:30:04 pm »
Actually, I'm not entirely sure. I believe so... That doesn't happen commonly, if at all, due to the mechanics of FFs. They push the enemy units out; all but structures. Does a wonderful job of clearing the wormhole of units, but you still have the structures to deal with.

And as a sidenote, your own units can obviously shoot out of the forcefield, but at a reduced attack :P. I didn't realize this until a little bit ago...

-Pandemic

As a further sidenote - In version 2.0 units firing from beneath the FF damage the FF, in the newer beta releases this has changed to not damaging the FF but lowering damage output by 75%.

Offline Harry

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:26:44 am »
I just noticed that in the changelogs for the beta release.  Which I'm about to try.  :)

Offline Minty

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 11:27:08 pm »
Regarding shooting past forcefields:

If neither the shooter nor the shootee are under a forcefield, then no penalties are incurred. It may be a 2-D game, but Chris has stated that he simulates a 3-D space by having ships able to move over each other, and shoot past each other with no penalties. Same with forcefields. They're assumed to be on different Z-levels.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:42:26 am »
Regarding shooting past forcefields:

If neither the shooter nor the shootee are under a forcefield, then no penalties are incurred. It may be a 2-D game, but Chris has stated that he simulates a 3-D space by having ships able to move over each other, and shoot past each other with no penalties. Same with forcefields. They're assumed to be on different Z-levels.

Yup, exactly right.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk