Author Topic: Countering Marauders  (Read 3075 times)

Offline brokentoy

• Newbie Mark II
Countering Marauders
« on: February 27, 2015, 03:13:08 am »
Hi - playing my second real game on 7/7, enjoying it lots and sort of getting the hang of it.

I have a couple of systems which have nothing of value in them, but lie between important planets owned by me, so I want them to be quick and safe to move through. I have cleared everything except the AI's command ship, then placed an outpost with a Zenith Time-Space Manipulator inside a weak forcefield, plus a mixture of Spider-V and Missile turrets.

This seems to keep them clear of AI nuisance, but Marauders seem to trash this regularly (I have them on 4). Why do my turrets not seem to target the Marauder ships (I looked, one seems to have normal "Polycrystal" hull type)? Is there any static defence that is a useful counter against them?

Offline Shelly

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Countering Marauders
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »
Radar dampening (maximum range at which things can attack things). But looking at the stats they would always must be in range to attack the turrets. Also they are sniper immune. Try putting turrents as close to each over as you can and very close to the shield (still marauders a thought and maypahhs you will need more turrents).

Offline brokentoy

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Countering Marauders
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 12:30:52 pm »
Ah thank you, I didn't know about Radar Dampening. Also helps me understand how Raider Starships can make it unscathed through hostile territory (although the AI seems to have found something that is countering that).

WIth the Marauders seem to need a sparse lattice around the protected area. If the turrets are only close to the protected area, the long-range Marauder ship (Dagger Frigate?) can shoot unmolested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk