Author Topic: AVWW2: my impressions/issues/concerns  (Read 3634 times)

Offline maaltan

• Newbie Mark II
Re: AVWW2: my impressions/issues/concerns
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »
well .. i was able to map the dpad so that works at least now.  no benefit.

Also, the axis noise cancellation still has no effect.  now that the axis/button config boxes are combined i found it really hard to actually set the key i wanted.  it kept registering my slightly off center sticks.  I ended up having to move the left stick a bit to the right and right stick a bit up and left, wiggle the l and r triggers just a tiny bit THEN it wouldn't automatically assign something when i clicked the field.

Looking at the 713 changelog it looks like they are keeping the no move angle firing mode the same.    Can you make it so you are only locked in place if you are firing?   I've been playing a bit and I'm doing better at only hitting left and right, but its still a big problem when having to do tight maneuvering

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 07:39:25 pm »
well .. i was able to map the dpad so that works at least now.  no benefit.

Also, the axis noise cancellation still has no effect.  now that the axis/button config boxes are combined i found it really hard to actually set the key i wanted.  it kept registering my slightly off center sticks.  I ended up having to move the left stick a bit to the right and right stick a bit up and left, wiggle the l and r triggers just a tiny bit THEN it wouldn't automatically assign something when i clicked the field.

Looking at the 713 changelog it looks like they are keeping the no move angle firing mode the same.    Can you make it so you are only locked in place if you are firing?   I've been playing a bit and I'm doing better at only hitting left and right, but its still a big problem when having to do tight maneuvering

This might help if possible.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 07:53:07 pm »
Just to check Mouldyk and Maaltan did you guys try changing the Axis Noise Cancelling to .75 for up and down (leave the horizontal at.5). Seemed like a vast improvement to me.

Can you make it so you are only locked in place if you are firing?

Actually, thinking about it, this solution might be pretty good. If even after messing with the Axis Noise Cancelling that doesn't give a satisfactory result, this seems like a decent fix. This might even be the preferred way to implement the fixed diagonal shooting, haven't had enough time to test and think about it yet, though.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:24:35 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 08:16:09 pm »
It does make a world of difference, but i'm thinking of others really. Maybe even a toggle, but if it aint changed, I won't be too fussed. :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 08:42:34 pm »
You people use the D-pad and not the joysticks? Lolwut?

Some games simply do not work right if you use the analog sticks.

Hell, I think 99% of the games I am most into are this way.   Fighting games (2D, not 3D), and shmups.... you simply DO NOT use the analog for either, not unless you want to die/lose really, REALLY often.   And I dont use arcade sticks because they hurt my arm and also just slow me down. 

I actually cant remember the last game I played that actually made use of analog sticks.

I was able to get the PS3 controller to recognize at one time but it kept doing wierd things like disconnecting randomly and getting totally corrupted and streaming random button presses.  also deadzone adjustment is just as missing when using the ps3 controller and my ps3 controller has a REALLy bad off center stick.

The PS3 controller needs to be set up carefully using a very specific sort of driver and program.   Also, it seems to *require*, at all times, both something like Motionjoy, *and* Joy2key running at once, and both have to be set up *correctly*.   The 360 controller only works without because the machine instantly recognizes it;  Sony did not add plug-n-play to theirs, because Sony.

And the initial setup, if done right, actually takes a bit of time.   If NOT done right, you run into all sorts of wacky problems.

It's a hassle, but..... it's *so* worth never, EVER having to use that nightmare that Microsoft calls a controller.   I'm well aware that most games only support the 360 controller..... and I laugh at them, because I'll be FORCING them to use the PS3 one instead.   The 360 one can go rot in a hole somewhere.    And you only have to do that initial setup once..... once you've got the thing going correctly and working the way you want, from that point on, you need only fire up the related programs, and there you go.

Offline LayZboy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 12:00:31 pm »
Some games simply do not work right if you use the analog sticks.

Hell, I think 99% of the games I am most into are this way.   Fighting games (2D, not 3D), and shmups.... you simply DO NOT use the analog for either, not unless you want to die/lose really, REALLY often.   And I dont use arcade sticks because they hurt my arm and also just slow me down. 

I actually cant remember the last game I played that actually made use of analog sticks.

Weirdo.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 01:53:49 pm »
Misery seems to like a lot of games that require fine control and demand a great deal of precision, so it's not exactly unprecedented to feel that way. It's like, how I play Rock Band Blitz, I NEED a specific controller. Without that controller, my performance in that game is horrendous. Why? Because it's demanding, and the subtle things matter.

Offline maaltan

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 08:05:00 pm »
a quick 713 report:

• Difficulty has gone way way way up .. at adept difficulty and 55% world difficulty things are doing about .5 to 2 hearts per hit.  Life drops have been reduced to between .1 and .5 per.  bosses are really really hard now as well.  they seem to have 10-50x more hp or something.  Also spell caliber seems to have been nerfed significantly. i tried 3 of the 5 classes and none of the attacks penetrate anything.
  • found another impassible area at -1, -2 (file attached) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119727246
  • Mr. wounded seems to always die now at turn two since there is no way to have a clinic in place before turn one ends.
  • the downward angle shots seem to be just as hard to get to work as the upper angle shots are to accidentally use.  This kind of clues me into something... It seems you might have a calculation error on what is "origin" of the stick is somehow .  This also might also be the reason why I have so much trouble getting the thing centered.   When I calibrate my controller through windows my "center" is actually up and to the left significantly of the raw input's center.  It seems AVWW is using an absolute center (ie mathematical center of the raw input min/maxes.) rather than the midpoint of the ranges the stick is capable of).  I've downloaded unity 3.5.7 (is this the correct version?) ... i think I'm going to play with this some...

edit: this is interesting: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/58016-Joystick-calibration?p=372111&viewfull=1#post372111
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:16:07 pm by maaltan »

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 08:37:35 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/app/228320/discussions/0/864956554756404309/

^--- First Steam comment about the pad-controls.

Quote from: Doctor Teeth
Gamepad Glitchy

I'm using a standard xbox 360 gamepad and my controls have been so flaky in this game, that I initially thought there was something wrong with controller. However, I went back and tested it with other games, and it is not a problem with my controller. Whenever I use the analog stick, control just doesn't feel "tight". Often, my guy won't start moving in the direction I hold right away, or else he'll continue moving in a direction after I stop holding in that direction. What the heck?

Offline maaltan

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »
hmm annoying .. browser crashed and lost post ...the summarized version

the dead property in the input manager in unity appears to be broken (at least on my machine with the xbox 360 controller). 
http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/129838/joystick-movement.html

you will need to roll your own deadzone code for gamepads to work properly.  there is a good example in that post.

attached is an example project that shows the issue.  dead is set to .999 yet the numbers still show a full range of floating point values (first in text box is horizontal, second is vertical

edit 1:  continue posting and hope no more crashes....

the deadzone setting will need to be outside the key binding pages.  This is because if the deadzone is too low, then you cannot map things easily/at all(see one of my posts  above for details).  As i said before, 30% seems to work well  (ex   if( ax < 0.3f  && ax > -0.3f)) and should serve as a good starting point.  It would be nice to have separate deadzones for each direction of at least the left thumbstick.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:52:56 pm by maaltan »

Offline maaltan

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 01:20:57 am »
because Sony.

Yeah.. just caught that statement....all i can say is yeah..... I've not knowingly given them money since the other os crap.  It would have been after the rootkit crap  if i actually listened to that kind of music. <angry old man fist shaking>

But lI digress'  lets take this rant elsewhere and stay on target :-)   

Offline benetnash

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »
This topis seems good to ask this question: what is your source of character names in this game? My hero is Bonifacy Biesiada and I chosen him for this amusing name.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk