Author Topic: Site Maintenance  (Read 10910 times)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: Site Maintenance
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 09:40:51 am »
The wiki text table is about 2.0 GiB and Mantis's file table is about 4.3GiB.
I love seeing the innards of all this. We could do some funny facts lists, like the total number of suggestions on Mantis, the number of character in the Wiki, the number of posts in the Forum...

Quote from: The Forum
156,525 Posts in 10,301 Topics by 18,007 Members.
Holly... forum!

And yeah: good luck. Seems like you need it.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:18 am »
Is it just me or is the page significantly slower these days?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 10:48:07 am »
Good luck with ironing out the issues! :)

All issues should be ironed out now! The only thing left is performance-enhancing stuff and a little bit of infrastructure that you guys really won't notice.

I love seeing the innards of all this. We could do some funny facts lists, like the total number of suggestions on Mantis, the number of character in the Wiki, the number of posts in the Forum...

There are currently about 16835 reports in Mantis, the number of characters on the Wiki is impossible to store, it actually overflows the max integer value, and you found the number of posts in the forum! If you want more innards of the wiki you can look at Special:Statistics which is automatically updated a ton. Make sure to sign in to view the most recent stuff though! For Mantis you can see the date when each issue is resolved/closed at the Change Log. :)

Is it just me or is the page significantly slower these days?

Its slower for you? Hmm... that might actually be a location thing then. The server is in Michigan, USA rather than spread out across the world. Although, in theory, Cloudflare should be giving you really good results still. I'll definitely look into speeding it up for you though!
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 11:02:54 am »
There are currently about 16835 reports in Mantis, the number of characters on the Wiki is impossible to store, it actually overflows the max integer value, and you found the number of posts in the forum!

Number of characters = [number of gigabytes of text data] * [size of a gigabyte in bytes]

;)

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 11:05:47 am »
Number of characters = [number of gigabytes of text data] * [size of a gigabyte in bytes]

;)

Heh, that would work. Wouldn't be perfect, but relatively close. There are other tables and other bits of data in each table that add to the size :P

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 11:14:22 am »

;)

Heh, that would work. Wouldn't be perfect, but relatively close. There are other tables and other bits of data in each table that add to the size :P

It's a good ballpark estimate and its not like the exact count is a useful number in any meaningful fashion anyway.  "Oh, I'm sorry, the number we were looking for was seventeen qaudrillion, four hundred and fifteen trillion, seventy five billion, two hundred and thirty nine million, seven thousand, and one."

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 11:18:15 am »
Mantis just went down for about 30 seconds, and the wiki is still acting incredibly slow right now.  Is this maintenance or...?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 11:19:55 am »
That was an Apache restart to update the configuration stuff. Tell me if it stays slow though.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 12:15:42 pm »
Sorry, have been in mantis like crazy the past while and forgot to check back.  The wiki is still super slow.  It's on 60+ seconds and counting for one page refresh for me right now, although the prior one was 4 seconds.  Table locking contention, maybe?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »
And then after hitting cancel and then refreshing again, it refreshed in 1 second.  So that's all over the place.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 12:47:37 pm »
The only thing I can think of to cause that would be table locking contention, but we don't have any MyISAM tables that would lock the whole table, only row-level locking is available. It might be a client thing, I know that my browser occasionally takes forever to load a page at one point but then loads the rest of that site extremely fast. When you were doing the page refresh, did you have ?action= in the URL?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 01:14:35 pm »
I'm in Sweden and loading a reply page takes ca 15 seconds. It never used to be that slow.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 01:33:00 pm »
I'm in Sweden and loading a reply page takes ca 15 seconds. It never used to be that slow.

That is definitely unacceptable for the speed. Does it only happen on the forums, on certain forum actions, or is it site-wide? Also, what actions are you taking when it is slow?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 01:35:24 pm »

That is definitely unacceptable for the speed. Does it only happen on the forums, on certain forum actions, or is it site-wide? Also, what actions are you taking when it is slow?
It seems to be rather intermittent. I've had it happen twice now today, but right NOW when I replied to you both loading the forum and the reply page was snappy.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2015, 01:37:41 pm »
That suggests it is more of a database problem. I'll look into it and see if I can diagnose the speed issues. When it does happen, try to refresh and bypass the cache (The shortcut depends on your browser).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk