Author Topic: Site Maintenance  (Read 10933 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Site Maintenance
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2015, 02:10:05 pm »
It's entirely possible that my thing was a browser thing, I'm not sure.  I did not have action in the title, I had http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Release_Notes#Version_0.841 as the url I was using.

It looks like every other time I refresh it, it goes superslow in my browser.  But if I hit enter to just "go to that url," then it works fine and snappy.  Thanks chrome!!  It's strange, though, because other sites don't do that for me.

On the old host, however, even just going there fresh was not working with any speed, so this is a marked improvement in almost every way.  Just some lingering browser stupidity apparently.

edit: performance to Sweden aside. :/
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2015, 04:02:42 pm »
The only way to be sure would be to try other browsers. If it isn't just a browser issue then I'm concerned about what is causing random slowdowns.

That sounds like your browser has the old server's pages cached and the new server is telling it "No, that is really outdated, accept my copy." and chrome is not wanting to update its cache.

Yea, the new server is definitely performing really well. It is odd that Sweden would be affected negatively, given I believe the server is physically closer, and Cloudflare should mitigate the whole distance problem.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »
I'm not sure how much caching cloudflare is actually doing at the moment based on its configuration?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2015, 04:09:00 pm »
It should be caching everything. Which may actually be to blame for bad connections, since the cached data is not at all related to the new data at this point.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2015, 04:12:14 pm »
It's only doing that much caching if you changed a lot of settings (which feel free to).  There is a way to force flush the cache I believe, as well.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2015, 04:22:20 pm »
I think you're thinking of the security setting, which is highly reduced. The cache is set to cache everything except the wiki, which the wiki handles its own caching (Or will, once I get around to that). I found the clear cache button, which will hopefully make it faster for everyone and reduce the browser errors you were getting.

Offline Radiant Phoenix

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2015, 05:13:38 pm »
I'm getting occasional 521 errors, but it usually goes away within a minute.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2015, 05:14:37 pm »
521s are caused by the services restarting in response to something, so nothing to worry about. :)

Offline jerith

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2015, 06:31:13 pm »
I see occasional hanging connections when I refresh the wiki, specifically http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Release_Notes which is particularly interesting to me at present. This happened before the migration as well, with about the same frequency, but I don't remember it being a problem during the TLF beta which was the last time I hammered the wiki like this.

I don't always get the hanging connections, but when I do it's pretty consistently on one or two of these resources:

Without looking at the network tab of Chrome's developer tools, it just looks like a very slow page load and might be related to what Chris was seeing. If I hit cmd+shift+R to bypass caching/last-modified (thanks for the hint about caching), I get a pretty snappy load. If I hit cmd+R for a normal reload, I get the hanging connections more often than not. Those look like scripts, CSS, and images, which shouldn't be changing at all between page loads.

Hope this helps you debug this. I'm going to just use cmd+shift+R on the wiki from now on. ;)

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 06:50:20 pm »
I see occasional hanging connections when I refresh the wiki, specifically http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Stars_Beyond_Reach_Beta_Release_Notes which is particularly interesting to me at present. This happened before the migration as well, with about the same frequency, but I don't remember it being a problem during the TLF beta which was the last time I hammered the wiki like this.

I don't always get the hanging connections, but when I do it's pretty consistently on one or two of these resources:

Without looking at the network tab of Chrome's developer tools, it just looks like a very slow page load and might be related to what Chris was seeing. If I hit cmd+shift+R to bypass caching/last-modified (thanks for the hint about caching), I get a pretty snappy load. If I hit cmd+R for a normal reload, I get the hanging connections more often than not. Those look like scripts, CSS, and images, which shouldn't be changing at all between page loads.

Hope this helps you debug this. I'm going to just use cmd+shift+R on the wiki from now on. ;)

Heh, I never have the hanging connections, but I also macroed cmd+shift+R and only use that for reload. :)

I don't know if you noticed, but at the bottom it gave an error about a folder not being writable, which you won't see now, because it is writable. So, if I am correct, that helped immensely and should have fixed a lot of the hanging connections. I did do a normal refresh and it wasn't hanging for me, but that might also just be me.

Offline jerith

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2015, 07:54:14 pm »
I'm still getting the connection hangs, always on poweredby_mediawiki_88x31.png or one of the load.php?blahblah resources. Maybe it has something to do with me and the local cloudflare endpoint being 200ms from the rest of the internet.

If I use HTTPS I seem to get fewer hangs, and only in the load.php?blahblah resources that are fetched over HTTP. I have no idea if that's relevant at all, but I've just noticed that it's nearly 2am and I have to write some messy datastore index migration code tomorrow.

Thanks again for your work on this stuff.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »
Hm then I'll look into pages like that and see if something is messed up there. Strange that SSL helps, usually it does the exact opposite.

If anyone is lagging right now it is because I'm doing some heavy stuff with the web server, sorry!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2015, 08:42:08 am »
I'm still getting the connection hangs, always on poweredby_mediawiki_88x31.png or one of the load.php?blahblah resources. Maybe it has something to do with me and the local cloudflare endpoint being 200ms from the rest of the internet.

If I use HTTPS I seem to get fewer hangs, and only in the load.php?blahblah resources that are fetched over HTTP. I have no idea if that's relevant at all, but I've just noticed that it's nearly 2am and I have to write some messy datastore index migration code tomorrow.

Thanks again for your work on this stuff.

I don't know how you're finding out exactly what resources it's hanging on, but that's great information to have.  I am having the exact same issues as you anyhow, though, and I'm pretty near the main eastern US backbone, so my ping times tend to be excellent.

Offline jerith

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2015, 01:23:12 pm »
If you open Chrome's developer tools (cmd+alt+I on OSX, I'm guessing ctrl+alt+I on Windows) and go to the Network tab you'll see all the network connections the browser makes when you reload the page along with how long they took, etc.

Very handy for this sort of thing, even though I try to avoid having to use tools like this. ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 01:32:43 pm »
Nice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk