Author Topic: Posting in a topic throws me back to the forum index  (Read 13751 times)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Posting in a topic throws me back to the forum index
« on: April 11, 2017, 11:27:50 am »
See title ;p

I mean the index of the subforum the topic was in though, not the main index

Any way this can be fixed?
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Posting in a topic throws me back to the forum index
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:29:27 am »
Versus keeping you in the same thread, you mean?  I think that's how it is meant to work.  Is that a new behavior?  I can't recall.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 01:54:44 pm »
Versus keeping you in the same thread, you mean?  I think that's how it is meant to work.  Is that a new behavior?  I can't recall.

Nah that's definitely not how it worked.. when you posted it showed you your post.. as it should be. Otherwise you can't see if someone posted after you while you were typing..... or well, it just is annoying as I like to read what I posted.. for error correction ;p
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:57:42 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:07:50 pm »

Nah that's definitely not how it worked.. when you posted it showed you your post.. as it should be. Otherwise you can't see if someone posted after you while you were typing..... or well, it just is annoying as I like to read what I posted.. for error correction ;p

If someone posted while you were typing, it would give you a little error message and display their post so you can see what you need to alter in your reply. If you want to read your own post before actually posting it, you can use the "Preview" button next to the "Post" button, which will display your post as it would be displayed once you post it.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:45 pm »
Are you saying this is the new default and I have to get used to it, because I am definitely not gonna get used to it without at least 3 pages of discussion.  ;D

Also no forum I ever posted in does this ;)

And 3rd, since I browse exclusively via "new replies" this feature adds nothing to my QoL ;p
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:32:41 pm by eRe4s3r »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 03:35:37 pm »
I definitely didn't change anything like that on purpose.  I don't know if it was some sort of update to SMF, or our hacker friend.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 04:24:58 pm »
because I am definitely not gonna get used to it without at least 3 pages of discussion.  ;D
This sounds like a hostage situation ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 04:50:01 pm »
because I am definitely not gonna get used to it without at least 3 pages of discussion.  ;D

It's the strangest hostage-taker ever, though.  ;D

"Quiet out there!  If my demands aren't met, I'm going to talk to these hostages for AT LEAST THREE DAYS before I let any of them out.  Then I'll come quietly."

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 05:21:16 pm »

It's the strangest hostage-taker ever, though.  ;D

"Quiet out there!  If my demands aren't met, I'm going to talk to these hostages for AT LEAST THREE DAYS before I let any of them out.  Then I'll come quietly."

Yeah but you know, the hostage taker has to leave the room after every sentence and then come back. That's gonna drive at least a few people crazy ;P

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 05:38:07 pm »
Do you know about when this issue came up?

It seems that when you make a post, it will send you outside the topic to the parent board there. The reasoning behind the feature, I'm guessing, is because you should read an entire thread before replying (or the parts you care about) and if someone else adds a response before you post you get a mean error.

I never noticed that this is any different than it was before. My best guess so far is that it was an SMF update that changed this.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 07:06:14 pm »
Do you know about when this issue came up?

It seems that when you make a post, it will send you outside the topic to the parent board there. The reasoning behind the feature, I'm guessing, is because you should read an entire thread before replying (or the parts you care about) and if someone else adds a response before you post you get a mean error.

I never noticed that this is any different than it was before. My best guess so far is that it was an SMF update that changed this.

Happened some when before April 1st. Least that is when I noticed it ;)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely like to read the entire (recent) part of the topic again just to see if my tone and writing doesn't come across in a way I didn't intend, and preview isn't the same, I am old-school and see the post button as something final and often when hitting it, I remember a point I forgot to raise or simply forgot to even include in my post. ;P Preview is mainly for formatting.

It would be pretty wacked if that were a profile setting btw.. gonna check

Edit:

So yeah,
[_] Return to topics after posting by default
suddenly became unchecked, I assume when you got hax or when updating, it reset "look and layout" settings entirely, because they are seriously not the way I had them set ^^

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 08:20:00 pm »
Hmm. Lets see...

Yeah, I think I remember it returning you to the thread and showing you your post.  But the "return to thread list" behavior is very common.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 10:24:33 pm »
Yeah, not common enough for me to have seen it  ;P

Anyway, profile settings, "Look and Layout"
check -> Return to topics after posting by default
and all is fine.

Why that suddenly is not the default anymore is baffling though. But now that it's fixed for me, I'd say hostage taking averted ;P

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 08:17:20 am »
Anyway, profile settings, "Look and Layout"
check -> Return to topics after posting by default
and all is fine.

Perfect!

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 08:24:08 am »
Hmmm, my guess is it had to do with the hack then. Thats about the only way your stuff would get reset to nothing.

Sorry about that issue, but I'm glad you found the solution!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk