Author Topic: New Profile Option  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
New Profile Option
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:05:02 pm »
I added a new profile option that, if given, will allow people to see your SteamID publicly, but it doesn't have to be given. You can add it on registration if you like, so if any newly registered people can provide feedback (Or old members who want to make a new account that I can delete (Or keep if you want me to for some reason)) that would be much appreciated. Like always, please tell me about any privacy concerns, questions, comments, random ramblings about the topic, etc etc. Have fun!
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: New Profile Option
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »
Neat!  I added mine.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:35:56 pm »
I'm cool with adding mine, but I'll probably go "and where do I know you from?" if anyone adds me. :p

Edit:
Oh! Avatars! I never thought to set mine.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:37:33 pm by Draco18s »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:12:55 pm »
Hooray, now I can recognize you by a picture and not just a name!  Of course, if you ever change your picture, now I'll be horribly confused. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 11:21:51 pm »
Hooray, now I can recognize you by a picture and not just a name!  Of course, if you ever change your picture, now I'll be horribly confused. ;)

My usual is a silver dragon.

Some variation of

But no, you know me for Velociraptor! Cannibalism! too well, so I shall use that picture of Reginald.

Although, I do have one of Sprinkles...

Who may or may not be on drugs.

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 02:33:25 am »
Great!
Is it possible to set a little icon like profile/email/PM/... under the avatar?

Aslo... I'm not a steam fanboy (while having a nice little bunch of steam games) and I was wondering: is the AI War / Arcen community active on steam? Does steam offer more than online achievement storage and reviews? Why would it be interesting to know someone's steam ID if it's just a forum-pal (albeit "just" can be a lot already)?

And of course a newb question:
which steam id? What does it look like? Is it the number after "http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/XXXXX"? And I found a "custom URL" field in the steam's profile manager; is it related?
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 04:45:45 am »
You mean like me? ^^
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:35 am »
Great!

Aslo... I'm not a steam fanboy (while having a nice little bunch of steam games) and I was wondering: is the AI War / Arcen community active on steam? Does steam offer more than online achievement storage and reviews? Why would it be interesting to know someone's steam ID if it's just a forum-pal (albeit "just" can be a lot already)?

which steam id? What does it look like? Is it the number after "http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/XXXXX"? And I found a "custom URL" field in the steam's profile manager; is it related?
it is exactly the same as your account name, like in my link/example. Though that might not be the same as your current steam name.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:03:41 am »
Great!

it is exactly the same as your account name, like in my link/example. Though that might not be the same as your current steam name.

Correction:
If you set your "custom URL" then its "http://steamcommunity.com/id/[custom url]"
If not, it's "http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/[random numbers]"
That said, usually the way things like this work is that you provide the steam user name you originally signed up with, because that's searchable.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 04:26:58 pm »
Great!

I can set that up, but that would require everyone to enter their URL ID (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/XXXXX) and then it would take you to that their profile page. If that's what people want, then I definitely have no problem setting that up though!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 05:05:09 pm »
Great!

I can set that up, but that would require everyone to enter their URL ID (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/XXXXX) and then it would take you to that their profile page. If that's what people want, then I definitely have no problem setting that up though!
Fine for me, as long as it's not mandatory, which is not what you meant when you said "require everyone to", right?
Thank you very much.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 05:19:13 pm »
Not mandatory, sorry for the confusion! Although I am having a bit of trouble getting this to work...

EDIT: Always read through your code people! You never know when you forget to define a valid image path! :)

EDIT 2: Alright I set that up for us! Tell me if the text is confusing or anything.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:34:58 pm by Dominus Arbitrationis »

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »
Not mandatory, sorry for the confusion! Although I am having a bit of trouble getting this to work...

EDIT: Always read through your code people! You never know when you forget to define a valid image path! :)

EDIT 2: Alright I set that up for us! Tell me if the text is confusing or anything.
Wohoo! I can see it! I can click it!!!
Great job!
 :D

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 05:43:47 pm »
Thanks!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 10:50:06 pm »
I am curious what my steam id is, considering this is the link:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015130442
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk