Author Topic: Dev Wiki Speed  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Dev Wiki Speed
« on: May 14, 2015, 07:15:52 pm »
Okay, so we are in the process of testing some stuff, so I set up a little wiki at dev.arcengames.com/web. I will change all the permissions relatively soon so anyone can edit it (As it stands you need an account and the standard stuff that is currently on our actual wiki). Once that is done I have a strange request for people: I need people to do a bunch of stuff to it (Yes, you have permission to vandalize the wiki at dev.arcengames.com/web, but only that one.). Oh, please make sure not to post anything illegal, controversial, inappropriate, etc.

It currently doesn't have the pages our real wiki does, but I'm working on importing those.

Then I need speed reports, both relative to our current wiki, and just how you personally feel the speed is.

Okay, so we are now removing the dev wiki at least temporarily, and possibly forever. Thank you all for looking into it! It was most helpful.

Thanks!

Quinn
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:27:10 pm by Dominus Arbitrationis »
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: New Wiki (Kinda)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 07:56:24 pm »
Holy smokes so far this is incredible speed.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:18:06 am »
I have a strange request for people: I need people to do a bunch of stuff to it (Yes, you have permission to vandalize the wiki at dev.arcengames.com/web, but only that one.).
That will never work. Arcen's community is too fair to vandalize even a test-wiki.
 ;D
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 07:27:02 am »
And that is what I love about you guys. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 02:38:35 pm »
I have a strange request for people: I need people to do a bunch of stuff to it (Yes, you have permission to vandalize the wiki at dev.arcengames.com/web, but only that one.).
That will never work. Arcen's community is too fair to vandalize even a test-wiki.
 ;D
All right, I've got an idea. What if... and this is PURELY theoretical... what if we grabbed a bunch of pages from the Skyrim wiki and posted them randomly on the dev wiki?

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:57:20 pm »
Hmm... I suppose as long as you use UESPWiki and credit them in the edit summary or on the page itself that would work. I say UESPWiki because I know our copyrights are the same and allow for sharing and stuff, but other copyrights might be a problem.

So basically check copyrights and other legal stuff, credit the people you got it from, do the normal stuff like that. One idea I had was someone can just put Lorem Ipsum text or just random words that are safe for work on pages. I'm about to import the wiki database to the test one, so we will have all the pages and accounts back soon.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 03:08:47 pm »
Didn't expect you to take that seriously. :o Plus I expected it's a means of testing how the wiki handles rollbacks, re-edits and page deletions, so I can't imagine any of the test content would persist in any manner that could cause a copyright violation.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 03:10:38 pm »
Heh, yea it was actually a pretty decent idea. Pretty much, its just a stress test. In theory, none of it would cause a violation, but I would still much rather not put Arcen in a bad spot by having copyrighted material there.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 03:33:38 pm »
If you really want to yoink some wiki content for testing, have at it.  Aside from a handful of images (which should be allowable under Fair Use anyway) it's all my own content.  Even got some templates in there.

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 06:57:11 pm »
If lorem ipsum is something that could fit the goal, why not just scripting a random word generator? And if you need editions distributed in the time, write a second script that use the first and post its output on the wiki every random+N minutes.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 09:37:47 pm »
If someone wants to do that, be my guest. The problem is that one, bots don't really register time the same way because of how their API interacts with the wiki. Two, you have to have the bot flag to edit the wiki like that :P

I also need speed comparisons between the new and actual wiki.

Alright, I just imported the old database in! So far the speed seems really good.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 09:52:19 pm by Dominus Arbitrationis »

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 09:54:59 pm »
You could always get one of those spam bots and let it run wild :D

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: Dev Wiki Speed
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 03:59:29 pm »
Okay, I re-enabled all the extensions on the dev wiki, so it should be using stuff that made the normal wiki really slow. So far I haven't seen any speed change, and the internal view looks good. If someone has another idea for what could help push this thing and make it slow, feel free to send it my way so we can stress test it better.

Heh, I haven't seen any spam bots on the normal wiki since I blocked their API, so that wouldn't work (Although, I suppose I could disable that on the dev wiki).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 04:09:55 pm »
Holy guacamole, it is still blazingly fast for me.  I am extremely used to editing the regular wiki, since I make updates to it probably 20+ times in a lot of days.  Making edits on this is like moving from 5fps to 60fps for me. ;)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 08:53:37 pm »
Okay, I re-enabled all the extensions on the dev wiki, so it should be using stuff that made the normal wiki really slow. So far I haven't seen any speed change, and the internal view looks good. If someone has another idea for what could help push this thing and make it slow, feel free to send it my way so we can stress test it better.

Heh, I haven't seen any spam bots on the normal wiki since I blocked their API, so that wouldn't work (Although, I suppose I could disable that on the dev wiki).
Y'know, spambots having an API doesn't sound that surprising, but it feels like it should be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk