Author Topic: Story stuff (snippets starting from another thread).  (Read 14546 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Story stuff (snippets starting from another thread).
« on: February 26, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »
Cheers!

1. Is the new game set in the same universe as the others?  Hmmm... kinda-probably-maybe?

The overall setting in this one is on either Earth or an earth-like planet where the level of technology is kinda like ours now, but progressed maybe 50-100 years.  Aka some things are the same (true now as of the 1950s), and many other things are different.  However, aliens have invaded and they and their robots basically took over everything.  There are some humans left, kinda working for the aliens and kinda slaves to them.  Overall a lot of my inspiration comes from the White Mountain books, which I loved as a kid (the tripod trilogy).  Really hard to go back and read them now as an adult, though, because it turns out they were fairly poorly written. ;)

Anyway, a lot of that doesn't fit into the lore of what happened on Earth Prime, so to speak, in the general Arcenverse.  However, there isn't any reason to say that this isn't Earth 28 actually set 1000+ years into our future.  Some of the "historical" things that we'd find familiar might be intentional cultural aesthetic choices on the part of the (now former) denizens of that planet.  Kind of a retro thing to mix in with their future tech (after all, we can't sacrifice convenience, now, can we?).

That would also explain why the wildlife is so very different.  The trees and whatnot would be more similar thanks to terraforming and the fact that a lot of us have an attachment to that sort of vegetation.  That said, not all of the trees are native to earth, not remotely.  I'd been thinking that those were alien invasive species as they start terraforming Earth Prime, but the reality might be that those are actually the native plants to Earth #28 (or whatever it is), and WE terraformed the heck out of it, making life difficult for the local flora and fauna.

2. Will we be seeing Burlusts and similar in this game?  Probably not, unless we do a successful kickstarter and that's a stretch goal.  That's a lot of custom 3D modeling to really do them right.  Lore-wise this would really have to be something other than Earth Prime for that to make any sense in the timeline, too.  In general the AI kept humans far away from the TLF and SBR races, mainly because [redacted -- that would have been major spoilage for SBR].  But I'm sure that Jack, the official keeper of the Arcenverse lore/timeline at this point (Watashiwa) could come up with some sort of side timeline for this that would make sense.  Everyone from each race didn't just go one place at all times, so there's thematic consistency there -- so long as this game was set in the correct temporal period.

[snip irrelevant stuff for story purposes]

4. [this part is for Bionic Dues, but it's interesting and story-related, so hey why not leave it even though it's not truly relevant here]  I do see Bionic Dues as being set on Earth Prime and part of the machine uprising.  However, I also have thought of that as being far earlier in the timeline than the human civil war and earlier than the AI attacking them.  A few hundred years, anyway.  The stuff going on in Bionic Dues is more "the rumblings before the real storm," and you can see some of the potential causes of what leads to civil war later, as well as how the AIs get loose.  But those AIs are not centralized or very good yet, and rebellion against the city-owning corporations has not yet begun.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Re: Story stuff (snippets starting from another thread).
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:07:13 am »
4. As far as doing some sort of story patch-in for Bionic, it might be possible, yes.  I'm not sure how exactly that would go, though.  I do see this as being set on Earth Prime and part of the machine uprising.  However, I also have thought of that as being far earlier in the timeline than the human civil war and earlier than the AI attacking them.  A few hundred years, anyway.  The stuff going on in Bionic Dues is more "the rumblings before the real storm," and you can see some of the potential causes of what leads to civil war later, as well as how the AIs get loose.  But those AIs are not centralized or very good yet, and rebellion against the city-owning corporations has not yet begun.

I'm more "lore patch to link BD to the Arcenverse" than "BD expansion with financial investment and risk".

I would have though of a reference to the Exodian Blade and Dr. Langstrom. But as it would rather be hundreds of years earlier than the true civil war and AI (Exodian Blade sibling-like) breaking free... Maybe we would see the name of Langstrom as the great-grand-father of the Dr. of the same name who was involved in the [spoil] of the [spoiling] Exodian [spoil].

Let admit that the "exodian sibling" was discovered (and worked on by humans) earlier than the civil war. Let say about a hundred year before. And the Langstrom lineage was already involved. And the "AI" as we know it in AIW was in very very early stage of R&D. And maybe the robots of BD were controlled by an early prototype of this AI (prototype but not directly the "exodian sibling"). Then latter the AI get better and more complex; the civil war crawl up; the "exodian sibling" take over the AI that was partly created by emself (and partly by one or some Langstrom) and destroy Earth. Boom: bridge between BD and AIW!

Well, it's a rather rough bridge I wouldn't walk on myself. But I bet with some refinement it could be an official part of the "official Arcenverse".

I can't resist patching trying to patch a lore-hole of a universe I love.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk