Author Topic: Impressions so far.  (Read 6563 times)

Offline wyvern83

• Sr. Member Mark II
Impressions so far.
« on: April 11, 2014, 06:39:52 pm »
I've played the game for about six hours or so yesterday. Version 0.862 - 0.863

Coming into the game I went with the recommended quick start and made my way through the tutorials as they popped up as I progressed further into the game. Some of the images didn't load and would only be a small red x box or something similar, I was able to understand the game well enough to continue though.

The gating of information and access to new info-graphics seemed ok, I hope subsequent play-throughs will let you jump in immediately.

I had my first death within the first three missions after my initial escape, sitting in the middle of a swarm of enemies at low speeds for too long. I learned to stay abit further away and move around more and felt it was a legitimate learning experience that I could die that early in such a manner. I also noticed my shields recharged after abit if I wasn't under fire.

I found the combat controls a little fiddly after using an ability I would sometimes have a hard time finding a way to see what weapon I had selected given that you move first and sometimes I'd click too fast. Left versus Right click after trying to confirm autofire would sometimes reset my movement if I clicked inside the movement circle as well. I got used to it but wasn't as intuitive as I thought it was at first.

Smuggling space-faring technology was surprisingly and not surprisingly the easiest way to make credits and there were times I had trouble finding things to raise credits quickly for more expensive things.

At times I felt I had nothing to do as I couldn't afford the high priced federation deals with some races just yet and I was stuck waiting for the Andor Federation Party to become the ruling party as they were the central foundation to the federation I was working on. I did some long term mining and armada construction for both the Andors and the Skylaxians a couple times as I had 13 minutes in-game before the election and this got me into trouble. The Thoraxians wiped out alot of the Skylaxian's outposts and their large armada count that I was hoping to use to influence the Burlusts with later and the Andors got sick of the Boarines, who had some pirates I guess, and declared war on them even though the Boarine Regent was for interstellar cooperation. I feel I must have missed something and that at least the current Andor-Boarine war could have been avoided perhaps had I been smarter somehow. That this sort of thing can happen I'm ok with but problems earning credits in sufficient amounts is something I'm still learning on how to get around.

I also found it hard to find things to influence what I want sometimes. The Peltians felt terrific towards the Andors and Skylaxians but their respective attitudes were hard to influence as I couldn't find ways for the Peltians to get on their good-side more actively. Tech-gifting helped a lot but not from the Peltians as both the Andors and Skylaxians were far more proactive with research.

I will try some more things and will perhaps start another game with a slightly different strategy later today.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:42:21 pm by wyvern83 »

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Impressions so far.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:33:28 pm »
Mantising. (This just means that I'm putting some of this feedback onto the Mantis bugracker for ease of access and visibility to the devs). Thanks!

Offline wyvern83

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »
Thanks Pepisolo, I didn't think of mantising some of the comments I made in here as I was focusing on reporting bugs that I came across. You pulled out some good ones.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
Thanks Pepisolo, I didn't think of mantising some of the comments I made in here as I was focusing on reporting bugs that I came across. You pulled out some good ones.

Thanks! Just trying to distill some of the better and more common bits of feedback into a Mantis report to help keep things a little more organized for the devs. Thanks  for testing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk