Author Topic: Heads of the Hydral (HotH) Succession Game  (Read 35050 times)

Offline GreyTalon

• Newbie Mark II
Re: Heads of the Hydral (HotH) Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 10:19:30 pm »
1.008 Beta Build

83rd VIII Thermo 3007

Ahh, Universe I am finally in control after so long. I have been suppressed by what you could call my “brothers” since before the destruction. So first things first what has been going on during my repression.

Hmm, The Evucks haven’t been unleashed on the universe yet? Everyone needs some of that crazy. Enjoy your freedom, may your penchant for bio warfare and exploding planets flourish.

Since that is over lets stretch our legs so to speak, Now who out of all of these uhh… this Trash should I start “Playing” with?

Hmm my “Brothers” captured many while I was “away” Why would they even bother Keeping this trash? Rescue?? Pah, At least I can make a profit off of them.

On the other Hand I suppose some of them May be useful, The Burlusts look like they need another Science outpost, barbarians need all of the help they can get.

Or Not…

*Sigh* I cannot afford to let the acutians fall until the time is right, I suppose I could be bothered to save them

Now that there is Peace… well relative peace anyway no one is being completely slaughtered, and mutual destruction is good for my soul. The Pelitans needed a little assistance on another science outpost… I took this one too, Because really why should they benefit from my work. Besides everything belongs to me anyway so really they don’t have anything to complain about.

3 VIII Helia 3008

Other Notable Events:
Little bit of research
Stopped Skylaxians from murdering Burlust/Thoraxians
Sold More Slaves
Got rid of everyone Negative Trends
Traded Prisoners
Sold Resources
Gifted a few techs to people

That was fun, Eager to see where we go with this.

Offline topper

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2014, 11:50:45 am »
Welcome to the forums, and to the succession game!

Ahh, Universe I am finally in control after so long. I have been suppressed by what you could call my “brothers” since before the destruction. So first things first what has been going on during my repression.

Hmm, The Evucks haven’t been unleashed on the universe yet? Everyone needs some of that crazy. Enjoy your freedom, may your penchant for bio warfare and exploding planets flourish.

Quoting Chris regarding the Evucks:
This is one of those races that I personally am not typically going to be rushing to help immediately or whatever... but you can bet I'll always have my eye on these guys because they are freaking nuts! ;)
Nice, we ignore them for 7 years and then one head decides it wants to be friends with them.  ;D

Now that there is Peace… well relative peace anyway no one is being completely slaughtered, and mutual destruction is good for my soul. The Pelitans needed a little assistance on another science outpost… I took this one too, Because really why should they benefit from my work. Besides everything belongs to me anyway so really they don’t have anything to complain about.
Seems like we do have something in common, a desire to own every outpost in the system. Do the Skylaxians still have a bunch of their own outposts?

So... The Thoraxians and Burlusts may be a lost cause. We can probably beat on them a little and try to increasingly sabotage their relationships with the other races, as long as they do not go on a  killing spree on our outposts.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:44:52 pm by topper »

Offline GreyTalon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2014, 02:41:42 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, sklaxians still own a bunch of outposts and I had to stop the burlust/Thoraxians from killing everyone lol . They are only negative  by like 60-75 or something  can't remember and I'm at work for the next 24 hours so not able to check. If we keep them from warring and consistently boost with our many outposts we could brings them back. And if we fight the burlust warlord when it comes available relations could be salvaged. Acutians were at less than 15 mil ground troops left when I intervened.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:46:36 pm by GreyTalon »

Offline topper

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 01:18:38 pm »
It has been long enough, time for me to take another turn! New people are still welcome to join, but the previous players can take another turn if they are interested.

Version 1.016

3 VIII Helia 3008
I’m back in control, but things have changed in the last 7 years. The solar system is not the quiet tidy place it was when I first had command.

For one, the Evucks have launched themselves onto the solar stage with gusto. Even only having spacefaring tech for a year, they are already a close 4th in total firepower behind only the Skylaxians, Peltians, and Andors. The Boarines and Thoraxians are starting to get left behind, while the Acutians and Burlusts are almost hopelessly outmatched. The rapid military buildup of the previous year is concerning though, it is only a matter of time before widespread conflict spreads across the system.

The only techs we are behind on are Fleet Construction Nano-Robotics and Psionics. The Skylaxians have both, but no other race has them.
We have a long way to go to get enough influence for a federation, so to begin, I help the Andors construct a Cryo-Storage Warren for 17 months. This will increase the Evuck attitude towards the Andors by 0.18/month and the Skylaxian attitude by 0.36/month. It will also anger both the Thoraxians and Burlusts. The Andors are doing great in science, military power, and manufacturing capability, so they can act as a system police force for now.

4 XII Pyran 3008
Only a few months into construction and the Thoraxians are attacking one of my manufacturing outposts. I take a break from construction and wipe out two Thoraxian flagships with gravity missiles and then notice that I have available Hydral tech missions.
The Hydral missile turrets protecting the tech lab are not to be ignored!

After gaining Armor Piercing and deployable Raptor fightercraft abilities, one of my science outposts is under Thoraxian attack. A single gravity missile removes the threat.

39 XIV Pyran 3008
After those distractions, back to my little construction project. As construction continues, the tech race is heating up, with several races expending huge amounts of raw resources to advance their science programs.
In a surprising scientific breakthrough, each race gains in technology spontaneously. This also involves the design of several new classes of ships among the various races.

76 VIII Thermo 3009
Next is construction of a Hologram Sports Channel on the Skylaxian homeworld. This will raise relations with Andors and Peltians, well hurting relations with the Evucks and Boarines.

While constructing, I notice a Thoraxian and Boarine armadas fighting in the orbits of several planets, including Volos, the Burlust homeworld. Then curiosity killed the bird and the Peltians contract teethworms from an ancient artifact they found. Do birds have teeth? Maybe they will be fine…

After construction is complete, I help the Peltians invest in medicine and help them colonize a moon.

12 IX Helia 3010
The Burlusts are spreading hate between races. This is not good for my future federation. Noting their warlord situation, Mugcra is the current prime, with Tictoc and Bruull as the secondaries. Since the Burlusts have little space power anyways, a little turmoil should be fine. I challenge Tictoc to a duel!

Coming out of the duel, I am attacked by Thoraxian assassins! Oh well, more losses for my enemies and credit for my pocket.

Apparently one of my predecessors was renting out a manufacturing outpost to the Peltians. Those birds must be sneaky, because I never noticed. They say they are happy and now idolize me.

66 XI Helia 3010
The Burlust turmoil attack targets the Acutians, and the Andors step in out of honor. This is exactly what I was hoping for!

Mark 2 ship technology is available, but I need to do some work to adapt that for my unique hull. The Andors predict it will take 51 months. That is too long, I do not have that much time to spare as the rate of development on the solar map is acceleration. Thankfully, 7500 of my 27k credits will hire 15 scientists to reduce the time to 5 months for the offensive technology. Another 5 months gives me the defensive hull tech as well.

1 I Proto 3011
Here is the solar map, 1 month to go on the defensive mk 2 hull. Whoever plays next, do not move until the month is up!

Here are the race relations with the 3 current wars. None of the wars are much to worry about at the moment.

Notes:
*The race relations are much the same as the beginning of my turn, except now the Andors and Peltians like us more.
*The Burlusts are also improved to neutral towards us because of the duel I had.
*The attitude influence buildings placed are set to improve race relations between the Andors, Peltians, and Skylaxians, while continuing to antagonize the Thoraxians and Burlusts.

Here is the racial powergrid at the end of my turn:

The Andors and Skylaxians are my recommended races to get behind as they have a pretty nice lead on the more hostile races. The Evucks and Acutians are still wildcards.

The save is available again and attached here, any comments on strategy or interest in playing?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 02:42:26 pm by topper »

Offline GreyTalon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 12:49:57 am »
Acutians look in need of a rescue. Boarines look to be ok, need to keep an eye on them so that they aren't accidentally let die. Burlusts will probably be safe due to such High Ground Power for a while. Much approval. I'll Look back in a couple of days, Busy week at work for me so I wont be able to jump back in for a while. Hopefully More people become active on this or some of the previous players come back, because this is really fun just seeing how everyone plays differently in this universe we are creating together.     (need moar Evuck, Love those crazy bastards)

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 04:58:52 am »
Interesting. My partner bought us both copies of RoS last week (apparently some site sells and sends them by emailing photoes of keys from real copies, sounds legit...) - so my time is not so free atm. I started my own game in 1.016 and realised it's going to take a while(TM).
I'll insert a short playthrough over this week if I can.

Comments on strategy: anyone manage to figure out how to manipulate Boarines into becoming Defensive or into solar unity? It's the fastest way to manipulate racial attitudes. Also, I think players so far have been adverse to eliminating a race early. This may change should I take the reins for too long. :P
If you guys want a grand victory, then having Burlusts being +0 or -0 to every other living race seems essential (nullifies their racial action according to the description?).

Offline topper

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 02:18:30 pm »
I'll Look back in a couple of days, Busy week at work for me so I wont be able to jump back in for a while. Hopefully More people become active on this or some of the previous players come back, because this is really fun just seeing how everyone plays differently in this universe we are creating together.
No problem, the nice thing is that turns only take a few hours to play and write up.
It was fun to get back into the game after just reading about it for a few turns, feel free to give it another shot at some point.

Interesting. My partner bought us both copies of RoS last week (apparently some site sells and sends them by emailing photoes of keys from real copies, sounds legit...) - so my time is not so free atm. I started my own game in 1.016 and realised it's going to take a while(TM).
TLF is better than Diablo, right?  :)
Also, I think players so far have been adverse to eliminating a race early. This may change should I take the reins for too long. :P
If you guys want a grand victory, then having Burlusts being +0 or -0 to every other living race seems essential (nullifies their racial action according to the description?).
I am fine with eliminating races. We have done a decent job of keeping all the doors open for the moment, but it is just as interesting to see conflicting strategies between different players, as long as no one is making (too many) obvious bad strategic decisions.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 05:09:59 pm »
TLF is better than Diablo, right?  :)
I think partner's choice of co-op game trumps a single player game. ;P

Offline GreyTalon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 09:19:07 pm »
Lol, better than diablo 3 when it first came out yes. Better than it now, naa.
As far as killing people off goes I have primarily been trying to keep everyone alive just so no one really gets strong enough to form an anti federation, but by all means do as you wish thats the fun of this: dealing with the various heads of the hydra and their moodswings. Besides should we end up losing, what's to say we can't start another heads of the hydra game down the road.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 02:49:38 am »
Patch1.017 AKA: Hurray, quests are available again!

1st I Proto 3011
I wake to a waterless sunrise, surrounded by a sea of stars.

How long was I resting for?

The others called me the lazy head. Eyes ever closed, in contemplation, composition, or argument. And, as it turned out, in denial when we fled our home for a new destiny. I miss those vast oceans - the Acutian had nothing like it, and in any case they don't generally make a habit of soaking their circuits in salt water. So, where are we?

I see now that many stars are entirely artificial. Through the unfamiliar ship scanners (...arthropodic in design?), I spot no less than 3 stations, and not ours. Andors, it claimed, adorned with a symbol that translated into "peace for all kind".

A note stapled to a bottom corner said simply, "Don't leave until the Andor give us the final hull upgrades!" Another underneath said, "Note to selves: remember, get everyone to cooperate!"

...ah, so that's why there's still eight more intact planets around...

Well I can do that. I un-crooked my neck, and set about fixing that accursed long-range transmitter, which broke sometime... 3002? Soon, the receiver filled with various petty wishes that interested me none. I fished out one that remotely corresponded to the present and removed the rest. Acutian trader willing to dump some of their cargo for free in exchange for their own lives. How silly of them to be trekking wares across the system when there's wars going on, while being tailed by Peltian pirates.

It's a handsome profit if some other head wanted to make use of it. I accept, and venture off to scold some naughty children for trying to take other people's toys. Some of the local squabblers got caught in the crossfire.

14th I Proto
The endless, subliminal spam from the Burlust is grating on my nerves. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to screen just their channel. I'm surprised that many races are actually listening to this crap about barbarism. Their hatred isn't doing our goals any good.

Where are the Boarines when you need them? Their master spies could help us sabotage -
- but no, my hails were being ignored. Apparently your homeworld blowing up, followed by a decade of relative inattention, loses you VIP access to their espionage network.

Let's do this the hard way, then. I'll have to spread those rumours myself with all of the ambivalent races. I head over to play some tinker-tailor for a few months with some owls and some ageless squids. The firearms lobby over at the Skylaxian Senate can wait, their hold over the Senate is strong.

I plan to spend the rest of the year brushing up on alien psychology to understand the burlust hate better.

54th XV Pyran

While re-discovering Psionics with the Skylaxians and my special team of hired scientists, I was alerted that my little words with the Evucks have started a wave of aggression. Perhaps, now that they have their heads full of Burlust instincts, they want to test their tentacles in an arms-wrestle against the bodybuilders of the system?

57th III Proto 3012

The farce of the combined Andor/Evuck armada is predicted to continue until the sun blows up. Nestled in the ample halls of our research outpost, I'm tempted to sit here until then and gloat (the Burlusts build fine outposts). However, there is only one Hydral to save the world, so I indulge myself for only a day watching the children play at war. Cruder than the blockades my extinct race used to set up, but nevertheless mildly effective. As the other heads testify, they are learning rapidly.

Three Peltian staff scramble around the docked flagship, ordering the other prisoners around. The rogue evucks comply as readily as the peltian brothers, fresh from their rescue a few days ago when I caught them meddling with Hydral technology. It is only proper for them to fix up the scratches they made, and a far better fate than decompression. At least they will be able to see for themselves how fast a ship can go with original-spec afterburners. The young races butchered the design, reverse-engineering these babies into what they called "Velocitors". A sad fate for the relics, but I don't think any of us would risk giving the children our best secrets.

Sleep comes again for me, and I wonder what fate has in store for our guests. Perhaps the others will have mercy for them, and return them without ransom. Influence is hard to come by these days.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:20:34 am by zharmad »

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 05:26:14 am »
Save is here, if anyone want to hop in before the weekend.

Offline topper

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 09:15:27 am »
A note stapled to a bottom corner said simply, "Don't leave until the Andor give us the final hull upgrades!" Another underneath said, "Note to selves: remember, get everyone to cooperate!"

...ah, so that's why there's still eight more intact planets around...
Nice work, great writing!

If you add a [ to the beginning of each of the four lines below, they are all set to replace the (image 1-4) lines with the embedded image linked to the ones you attached. Just to keep it the same throughout the thread, if you are willing.

img width=800]http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15174.0;attach=8510[/img]
img width=800]http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15174.0;attach=8512[/img]
img width=800]http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15174.0;attach=8514[/img]
img width=800]http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15174.0;attach=8516[/img]

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 09:28:49 am »
I might give it a go in a day or so.

It'll give me something to do.

Offline GreyTalon

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »
I'll go again next week some time.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2014, 12:01:18 pm »
If Grey and Misery doesn't make one this week, I'm happy to go again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk