Author Topic: Xbox 360 controller capable?  (Read 5629 times)

Offline soulrider4ever

Xbox 360 controller capable?
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:19:15 am »
Hi,

I am a potential buyer - I was wondering does anyone know if the xbox 360 controllers (with pc adapter of course) will work with this game?

I use my HTPC as a casual gaming system as well and really would love to purchase this game if it does.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:26:08 am by soulrider4ever »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Xbox 360 controller capable?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:40:16 am »
Thanks for your interest! We don't directly support gamepads, but most gamepads have a tool that let's you map gamepad buttons to the keyboard functions. We do support all-keyboard play during the game itself (not in menus), so you can definitely make that work if the gamepad software supports that sort of mapping. If you're not sure, you can always try the demo and make sure you can get it working there before buying. Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Maruten

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 05:06:05 pm »
Hi there,

I recently bought Tidalis off Steam, hoping it would be a nice puzzle game for me and my girlfriend
to play on my htpc.

However, I noticed that the wireless xbox 360 controller is not supported and mapping mouse controls for 1 of the
2 players on the 360 controller isn't really an option.

Is it perhaps possible to adjust the controls so that both players use the keyboard?

Will there be any chance of a future update which will add support for wireless 360 controllers?

If no to both questions, can I have my money back?   ;D

Kind regards,

Maarten

Offline soulrider4ever

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 03:30:15 pm »
I would love to see some native support for the 360 controller, most new games have this - and I'm betting it's not too difficult from a programming standpoint - maybe as an added feature for a future patch? 

Either way, I appreciate the response - can you recommend any applications that will allow me to remap the 360 buttons to keyboard for just this game?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 03:51:02 pm »
I honestly don't know much about the XBox 360 controller, I've never used one.  I've got a pair of Logitech Pro controllers, and those have a built-in application that allows for application-specific keyboard mappings.  I would honestly be pretty surprised if the 360 controller didn't have something like that.

From a brief google search, it looks like precisely that exists: http://mattbrett.com/blog/videogames/2005/configuring-your-xbox-360-controller-for-windows/

It can map to both the keyboard or the mouse, from the look of things -- again, my Logitech one does much the same.  Playing with the mouse by using the gamepad is pretty awkward in my opinion, but it can technically be done.  Given the pretty awesome application-specific joystick-to-keyboard mapping that comes with most gamepads, direct gamepad support hasn't been high on our list of things to add to the game.

Regarding having a secondary controller mapping, I've added that as a suggestion in our Idea Tracker: http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=1672

We'll be doing some Tidalis updates this month, and -- time permitting -- we'll try to make that one of them.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline soulrider4ever

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 02:45:25 pm »
Well I do appreciate it, I ended up purchasing the game from steam and my wife and I play the game and enjoy it ( we are both tetris monsters :p ) very much.

For now I am just using the keyboard and she uses a mouse (both wireless)

But I will look into that link as well, thanks.

Looking forward to that update!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 02:47:20 pm »
Sure thing -- we're working on the two-keyboards thing today, actually, and hopefully that will be something feasible; it's a big feature, so we'll see. :)

Thanks so much for your support!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 05:12:12 pm »
Ok, the keybindings and input logic for a second keyboard player are now in.  Basically this means that you can have one person on mouse, a second person using the 1st-keyboard bindings, and a third person using the 2nd-keyboard bindings.  I'm guessing that one or both of the keyboard bindings would in fact be tied to a gamepad, unless you have big keyboards or small hands ;D

But I had to slash into a lot of input code to get this working, so it's probably going to take a few iterations of "you tell me what broke" and "we fix it and put out another release" before it's truly satisfactory.  For what it's worth, in my tests it works fine.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Maruten

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 08:10:58 pm »
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for adding controls for a second keyboard player!
I am currently trying the game out with 2 players on separate boards
with 2 wireless 360 controllers. I already seem to have found an issue
with the 2nd keyboard block drag button however, which I have posted
in your idea tracker.

To soulrider4ever:
In order to map keyboard and/or mouse buttons to your 360 controller, I'd recommend
using a program called Xpadder.

Kindest regards,

Maarten

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk