Author Topic: Version 0.405  (Read 5412 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Version 0.405
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:33:43 pm »
This version is now out.  It's one of the hugest we've done so far in terms of both content and in file size (over 10x as large as most releases in file size).  Lots of goodies here!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:36:13 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
Re: Version 0.405 (Upcoming)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:54:19 am »
Initial implementation of usable item system
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:17:03 pm »
- white blocks no longer allow chains involving multiple colors

- if multiple streams hit a non-hit block on the exact frame, all of them will now be absorbed in the resulting emit rather than only one of them being selected at seeming-random to be absorbed and the rest passing through.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 02:06:23 pm »
added basic check on color frequency checkboxes to prevent setting all base colors (1-6 for standard, 7-8 for sun and moon mode) to zero frequency, which causes crashes (will need to work more on empty-string case and add hard-checks against these crashes later)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:37:54 pm by x4000 »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »
-Color reactive blocks now have a shape overlay that makes them usable for people with color blindness.

-A new shapes block set has been added specifically for people with color blindness.

-A new special block has been added: Wall (Passable). Completely indestructible, and not affected by gravity.  Blocks land on top of it, but streams pass right through it.

-A new special block has been added: Wall (Solid). Completely indestructible, and not affected by gravity.  Blocks land on top of it, and streams are blocked by it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:03:42 am »
-Rebalanced adventure levels 8, 23, 25, and 28.
-Rebalanced adventure level 29.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 11:26:28 am by Fiskbit »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:45:23 am »
Added "Make Something Up!" button to custom game menu that randomizes the game options for those seeking an... interesting experience.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 12:39:57 pm »
Converted score data type from 32-bit integer to 64-bit integer, for edge cases where play can wind up with 60-deep combos of 80+ chains each and crazy stuff like that.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »
-The random number generators have been updated to be multiplayer-compatible.

-A new Jeweled Palace Theme is now complete.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:26:42 pm »
-Fixed a bug that was causing the difficulty level of a board to be reset on "play again."

-A new River theme has been added.

-Added a new Water weather type, for use in the River theme.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:19:06 pm by x4000 »

Offline Ixiohm

Re: Version 0.405
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 04:37:24 am »
Great new changes!

Haven’t found  the new water weather type, is it accessible thru any of the editors  ???

I would suggest you consider also rebalance lvl 26, it is very hard as it is, haven't got past it yet, for me at least it's more luck than skill involved now if I succeed in getting more than 3 combos of 3+ depth. Maybe make the blocks drop slower?

Also the new item system seems interesting, will make new types of more dynamic puzzles possible  :)

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:10 am »
The new weather type is referring to a background weather effect, such as snow for windy mountaintop and rain for open plains cloudy and rainy mud flats. You can see the water one in action on the new River theme, which is 4th from the bottom in the list.

As for level 26, which aspect of it is being most difficult for you? The 4-block limit or the 3-deep combos? If the latter, have you played the current versions of levels 12, 15, and 19? I've been trying to introduce people to combos earlier on in the game so they can complete levels such as this and 16.

I'm guessing the limit is the problem, though. I think I'll approach that by making the lose condition 2 or 3 chains of 4+ blocks, or something of that sort. I'm not able to make blocks drop slower for this one puzzle without using featherweight mode, which would seriously complicate things because the streams would then move upward. I'd find it really helpful if you could tell me more about your approach for this level. Are you setting everything up and then letting it happen, or are you rotating blocks as streams are going and blocks are clearing? This doesn't strike me as a very luck-based level because it's common to find enough sets of 3 to make a 3-deep combo without having to work at it, but making sure that streams don't hit too many blocks can definitely take a good amount of thought, which is (I think) where the challenge for this level lies and is what makes it interesting. When I'm playing it, I try to set everything up beforehand, and then fix it on-the-fly in case I overlooked something.

Anyway, more info would be helpful. In the meantime, I'll try loosening the lose condition a bit.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Ixiohm

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:35:34 am »
Right now my current approach is to identify and executing suitable combos, while making 'saves' with short chains to prevent the stacks from getting too high. However, the main way in which I lose is that I’m a bit too hasty in executing new combos, due to the time pleasure, without being sure that the chains won’t get longer than 4 blocks or that I will lose track of the combos when they get 3+ deep. You are probably right in that the foremost problem is that the loss condition is a bit too strict, because if I accidently trigger a chain of 5+ blocks now I’m done for. 

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:46:33 am »
For the next version, I've made it so you have to do 3 chains that are 5 or more blocks for you to lose. If you'd like to see that in action before the release so you can give earlier feedback, you can go into the level editor and open up _26.dat in Levels for Tidalis Main Story and change the lose objective from 1 to 3 and then give that a try. With this, it's definitely a lot more forgiving, while still having the challenge I intended for the level. I'm open to making more modifications, though, if it's still too difficult.

Thanks for the feedback! As I've said elsewhere, I'm not the best judge of difficulty given how much experience I have with this game, so comments like this are incredibly helpful. :)

Offline Ixiohm

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:04 am »
I did said change in the editor, took a couple of tries, but I did it :D

I still think it's hard, but it has a good balance now, soften it more and you might lose the challenge of completing it.

Personally I found the subsequent levels 27, 28, 29 much easier to complete than 26. Maybe move them about a little later?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk