Author Topic: General Feedback  (Read 11650 times)

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
Re: General Feedback
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 04:39:02 pm »
Doddler:

Regarding the special block tutorials, those go in alphabetical order. I could give them a specific numbered order, but the only cases where specific tutorials build on each other are locked/ice blocks and charred/fire blocks (there is currently no charred block tutorial because of current limitations on charred blocks in puzzles). I'm not really sure how to approach this one, but am open to suggestions if people feel it worth changing.

Could the special block tutorials be very easily obtained unlockables?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:16 pm »
Generally speaking, I'm not keen on unlockables (out side of a specific mode, like adventure) because it creates barriers for players getting to the content they want.  Especially for something like tutorials, which are all about teaching, that seems like something not to unlock.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline regnared

• Arcen Games Artist
  • Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:24 am »
Thanks for the info!  That is data that we can really use, and I really appreciate your taking the time to tell us.  Phil, if you're reading this, can you take a look at the colors there?

I also have minor color blindness in yellow and green colors. It's a very touchy subject since everyone perceive color differently.

For the set colors, I think color blindness varies by hues, so changing one color to suit one person, might make the existing skins not workable to someone else. There's a dozen or so type of color blindness. Basically, we won't ever be able to make one "perfect set color" which would work well for everyone. That is why there's a lot of different styles of blocks(with faces or textures to distinguish).

The only way to fix this is by having different type of block skins like we have. I can make more "texture" typed blocks thought.  :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:48 am »
You might be able to vary the hues a bit by color set, too, to make it so that different color block sets work well for different types of color blindness.  What do you think of that?  Shifting the yellow/green balance on one of them might make it so that he can use it better (and you, perhaps?), and then as other players come along with colorblindness issues, we could tweak hues on various sets to make them work for them.  What do you think?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline WinterBorn

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:49 am »
Thanks for the info!  That is data that we can really use, and I really appreciate your taking the time to tell us.  Phil, if you're reading this, can you take a look at the colors there?

I also have minor color blindness in yellow and green colors. It's a very touchy subject since everyone perceive color differently.

For the set colors, I think color blindness varies by hues, so changing one color to suit one person, might make the existing skins not workable to someone else. There's a dozen or so type of color blindness. Basically, we won't ever be able to make one "perfect set color" which would work well for everyone. That is why there's a lot of different styles of blocks(with faces or textures to distinguish).

The only way to fix this is by having different type of block skins like we have. I can make more "texture" typed blocks thought.  :)

For me RED/GREEN is my weak area and pastels are much harder for me in a wider spectrum.
TY

Offline regnared

• Arcen Games Artist
  • Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:13 am »
You might be able to vary the hues a bit by color set, too, to make it so that different color block sets work well for different types of color blindness.  What do you think of that?  Shifting the yellow/green balance on one of them might make it so that he can use it better (and you, perhaps?), and then as other players come along with colorblindness issues, we could tweak hues on various sets to make them work for them.  What do you think?

Personally the hues is a bit hard to judge just by myself. Currently The Yellow and Green mix I see the contrast perfectly, but some doesn't at all. I am wondering, would it be possible if in code there could be a hue value bar they could tweak for the button skins?

Would this be possible or be too much work or take too much ram? Giving this possibility, everyone could play with any skin and make it work with there color blindness?
Basically opening up multiple possibilities for colors.

waveman35 - Is it a certain shade of RED/GREEN or pretty much all the shades of the color? For me Yellow and Green is the shades that are close together.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »
Unfortunately, there is not a way for us to adjust the hues short of using a pixel shader, which has huuuge overhead on the rendering, and is not compatible with many graphics cards.

Offline ShadowOTE

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2010, 12:16:17 pm »
I tried the demo yesterday. It was pretty cool (the puzzle mode was really challenging, starting only a few puzzles in), but it seems more like something my mom and her friends would like... I may have found her next birthday present ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2010, 12:30:11 pm »
We are always happy to provide something fun for moms, too. :)  Our own moms also are really into it.  But we also enjoy puzzle games ourselves, which is the root reason for actually making this.

Offline WinterBorn

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »

Personally the hues is a bit hard to judge just by myself. Currently The Yellow and Green mix I see the contrast perfectly, but some doesn't at all. I am wondering, would it be possible if in code there could be a hue value bar they could tweak for the button skins?

Would this be possible or be too much work or take too much ram? Giving this possibility, everyone could play with any skin and make it work with there color blindness?
Basically opening up multiple possibilities for colors.

waveman35 - Is it a certain shade of RED/GREEN or pretty much all the shades of the color? For me Yellow and Green is the shades that are close together.

I have worked with people who were totaly color blind - for them shape and texture would be critical.

For me it is in the pastel, low intensity especialy pale red and pale green where I am challenged most. Preschool toys have bright colors - easy for me- but softer colors (like shopping for coordinating clothing) I need my wifes help to avoid mixing colors that amuse most people.

An optional set of bright "circus" colors might be fun and useful

Hope that helps.
BTW just bought 2 copies of the game (one for my wife)  :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 12:58:38 pm »
Many thanks for your support!  And yeah, something Phil and I were talking about just a minute ago is that we're going to make extra high-contrast versions of the block sets to hopefully overcome some of the colorblindness issues that still persist.  That's a major goal for us, and we thought that the faces blocks would largely overcome it, but looks like we still have more to go.

Offline The 9th Sage

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2010, 09:34:35 pm »
I tried the demo yesterday. It was pretty cool (the puzzle mode was really challenging, starting only a few puzzles in), but it seems more like something my mom and her friends would like... I may have found her next birthday present ;)
Not to get too off topic, but awesomely, I was thinking the same thing about my mother.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 09:42:17 pm »
:)

Offline The 9th Sage

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 10:09:36 pm »
By the way, I have no idea why that block that eats other blocks has a sailor hat on, but I like it. :P

Offline regnared

• Arcen Games Artist
  • Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2010, 10:19:26 pm »
Haha! Glad you like it, I think it's some sort honor to Popeye. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk