Author Topic: Unity 3D free for iOS/Android?  (Read 10055 times)

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
Unity 3D free for iOS/Android?
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:51:57 pm »
I just saw this at tigsource.com. It claims that Unity 3D is free for developers between now and April 8th.

Beyond looking at the Products page at their site and seeing the words "Free until April 8th" I know absolutely nothing about this at all. Maybe you already know and I am missing something.

I know I'd love the eventual iPad version of Tidalis. You're crazy busy with AVWW now, but if this is really a "free forever if you click the button now" thing, might as well do it.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Unity 3D free for iOS/Android?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:39 pm »
It's only their basic version, not their pro version; we follow their blog, and were aware, but thanks for bringing it up.

We require their pro version because our company has more than $100k yearly revenue (so they make you get a pro license), but also because we use pro features in how we do the rendering (for performance reasons).

Thanks for the note, though!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Penumbra

• Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:01:45 pm »
Figured it would be something like that. Oh well.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:51 am »
Heh, reminds me of the phrase that nothing good is ever free ;)

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk