Author Topic: Steam Summer Carnival  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
Re: Steam Summer Carnival
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 02:13:19 am »
My insight this evening is that it looks like there's a bug in triggering achievements. :-[ I did multiple tests, starting with a fresh copy of Tidalis that lacked any achievements or play stats:

With Vinraith's puzzle, which should work perfectly fine, I was not able to trigger the achievement on multiple attempts. I decided to try failing the puzzle while still meeting the requirements for the achievement. By doing that, I was awarded the achievement on all three of my attempts. Meeting the requires for the achievement, winning, and then losing without meeting the requirements did not grant me the achievement, and the game stats show the depth of my deepest combo as 0, which can't be right at all.

When I won, I was given three achievements: the achievement for winning one round and the first two Score achievements, which are for a certain number of points from a specific chain. If I lose by not clearing one of last cyan blocks in his puzzle, I'm granted FIVE different achievements related to combos.

What I think is happening is that winning causes the stage to end before some logic has been done related to completing combos. Therefore, the game stats don't include that combo and the achievements are never given out. I don't recall what it was, but I remember that Keith hit some complexity with tracking combos in some fashion. Maybe he'd have some insight into fixing this?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 07:54:07 am »
So basically, "don't let the final combo/chain occur as you win the level." Make one more step after that. That would be the workaround, and why most people don't see the issue since they probably try it in action mode. And as for the bug, with it being reproducible with those limitations, I can look at that. Thanks!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 08:29:44 am »
Discussion on the Steam forum here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1980996

(Cross-posting links!)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 08:42:49 am »
Okay, I got this one fixed.  Will push a beta release and explain in a few minutes.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 09:03:39 am »
Okay, the fix is now out as beta 1.017: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,8770.0.html

The fix:

Essentially, if you won a game board with a combo, then it would not score that combo or give you achievements, because by definition it was waiting around half a second to score combos to make sure that they were really done. That logic makes perfect sense during actual gameplay, but when a game over (victory or loss) is reached it can easily be assumed that the combo is definitely done! So that's what the game now does.

Offline Vinraith

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »
Alright then, glad I asked. :D

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 03:59:17 pm »
Glad you did, as well!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk