Author Topic: Option to turn off music when in background.  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Mivo

• Newbie Mark II
Option to turn off music when in background.
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:21 am »
(New here. Hi!)

I play Tidalis in the windowed mode, partly because it's so perfectly suited for short breaks from working (or maybe I should say work is so perfectly suited for short breaks from playing Tidalis  ;)). Many games feature an option to mute the music/sound when the application is in the background or minimized, which I've come to appreciate. Perhaps an idea for a future update?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Option to turn off music when in background.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 11:24:57 am »
Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your support!

Unfortunately, the Unity engine won't allow us to do that without full halting the entire Tidalis application while it's in the background -- we don't have any way to know when the application has focused.  But, already in place is a feature where if you are playing and pause the game, then the entire game will freeze as soon as you click out of the window (music and sound included).  It doesn't do it if you don't pause the game, but as long as it's paused that should be what you see.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mivo

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 12:22:17 pm »
Thanks for the welcome, the lightning fast response, and the "workaround". :) I hadn't noticed before that pausing the game and then focusing another window will have exactly the effect I had in mind. This definitely works!

The game's quite awesome, though it's yet another distraction from playing and "studying" Go, not to mention work, and Starcraft 2, sleep, and my spouse. (She actually downloaded the demo on her computer just earlier today -- she's less of an impulsive buyer than me, but I predict she'll open her purse after the weekend!). But I should probably post that in the "praise" thread. :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 12:25:32 pm »
My pleasure!  And glad that does work for you, hopefully the game won't be too much of a distraction. ;)  Glad you're enjoying it so well, and I hope your spouse finds just as much enjoyment!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mivo

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 12:40:46 pm »
She's really loved the imp in the bubble in the campaign when she first encountered him. :) Being an artist herself, she seems to quite have a liking for the art style of the backgrounds.

You know, what's "worse" than having discovered Tidalis (I was browsing the puzzle section over at GamersGate) is that as a side effect I also learned of AI Wars! It sounds fantastic and if I could squeeze it into my pile of current games, I'd probably already have snatched up a copy. But I'm trying to first finish the two King's Bounty titles, Elven Legacy and Starcraft before picking up another strategy game (I will also ignore Stardock's Elemental, yes, I will ... really! ... for now.) But yes, very intrigued. :) Surprised it had stayed under my games' radar.

Thanks for making good games!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 12:43:38 pm »
My pleasure!  And don't worry, AI War is always getting updates and improvements, so it will still be around (and even better than now) when you have a chance to check it out.  No rush!  Phil (Arcen's artist) will be pleased to hear of the comments about the backgrounds and art style. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk