Author Topic: Quick Save, or something similar? Brainteaser annoyance  (Read 6211 times)

Offline AlexV

Quick Save, or something similar? Brainteaser annoyance
« on: August 06, 2010, 11:55:32 am »
I've been giving the Tidalis demo (1.000) a try. I was enjoying the brainteasers, but as they increased in complexity (at 5-3 now) I found it more and more irritating that it wasn't possible to tweak my previous solution, and would have to start from scratch each time.

Currently the best I can do is screenshot the solution before hitting the button, but that still means I have to painstakingly set everything back up again using that picture as a reference, before then making whatever tweak I want to try. After the 2nd or 3rd time this is no longer fun, and I'm now quite likely to just abandon it. It takes too long to try each idea.

I thought a quick save system would solve the problem, so you could save just before hitting the button, then reload if it didn't go as planned, but if there are other solutions I haven't considered then please let me know.

Thanks,

Alex

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Quick Save, or something similar? Brainteaser annoyance
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:58:02 am »
That actually strikes me as a super good idea.  It's something that we had talked about internally as having an undo/redo process, but that would have been vastly more complex.  I think this would be a far superior solution in general, and easier to work with, anyway.  Great idea! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 01:39:54 pm »
It would only work when the board is totally settled, I hope ;)  We're getting into tons and tons of edge cases otherwise.  There's also the matter of the timers on emission statues and whatnot, though perhaps that could be ignored.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »
I've got a way for this to work at literally any time, I've posted that in the private dev forum. Should be good. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 04:59:20 pm »
private dev forum
No fair! you have a private dev forum we can't see... ;) :D
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 05:04:24 pm »
Well, we have to have somewhere to talk about code and internal stuff. ;)

Offline AlexV

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 02:40:09 am »
That's great news! I look forward to trying it out and getting back into brainteasers when it's available.

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 03:45:02 am »
Yes, should be good; I'm looking forward to it, as well.

AlexV: When this is in, you should post to let us know if/when you manage to beat all 4 puzzles of puzzle series 2. I'm rather proud of how those levels turned out and am waiting to hear from the first person who's able to beat them all. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline AlexV

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:20:25 pm »
Sure, when (if?) I beat puzzle series 2 I'll post my thoughts on them. I'd be quite surprised if I'm the first, though!

Offline AlexV

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:35:03 am »
I know this is an old thread, but just in case you're considering further development on Tidalis now that AI War has hit 5.0, I've still got about half the puzzles left to solve that I was waiting for this functionality for. Or if you know that it's definitely never going to happen, that would be good to know too.

Alex

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 10:25:07 am »
I know this is an old thread, but just in case you're considering further development on Tidalis now that AI War has hit 5.0, I've still got about half the puzzles left to solve that I was waiting for this functionality for. Or if you know that it's definitely never going to happen, that would be good to know too.

Alex
I wouldn't say that it's never going to happen, but it's not going to happen anytime soon.  We really have to focus on A Valley Without Wind right now.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »
Good to know you haven't forgotten about your fun little puzzle game. I look forward to seeing what you can do with it once things start settling down a bit.

And more on topic, a quick-save option for brain-teaser mode would indeed be very nifty.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50:47 pm »
I thought Keith and you are the two only people that write code?

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »
I thought Keith and you are the two only people that write code?

Shh, don't burst their bubble. Let them have their few moments where they can think they are greatly using the scalability of the communication tools they are using.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:02:29 pm »
Forums tend to be superior to email for archiving past conversations by topic, even compared to gmail.  Also, for Tidalis we had a team of six people that used the dev forums, as it wasn't all code discussion (actually, most of it wasn't).  Even for AVWW, we have four people coordinating on a lot of the stuff, because Pablo needs to stay in the know for the music, and Erik for PR.  But we mostly email about that game, since most of the heavy discussion just takes place between me and Keith, aside from when my wife and I just verbally hash out some things.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk