Author Topic: Puzzle 3-3  (Read 6747 times)

Offline Honknatter

• Newbie Mark II
Puzzle 3-3
« on: February 21, 2012, 07:59:48 pm »
Hi there,

so I just started playing Tidalis again and I wanted to finish up some unsolved puzzles and levels I skipped and now I'm stuck on Puzzle 3-3. I just can't figure it out and it seriously freaks me out. What bugs me is the fact that I already solved puzzles and levels way after this one, so I guess it actually should be ... well, kinda easy. But, like i said, I just can't figure it out. I usually don't ask for solutions but can anyone please help me with this one?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
Re: Puzzle 3-3
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:36:05 am »
This puzzle is one of my favorites, since it has a really neat trick to it. :)

You can't start this puzzle with the yellow blocks, since that will get you nowhere right away. So, there are only two yellow blocks that can fall and send out a stream you can use to clear the other yellows, and because the top one is locked in a useless direction, that leaves just one; this needs to be the first block in the single yellow chain. Because the locked block points in a useless direction, it has to be last block in the yellow chain. There is also only one position in that column where those two blocks can interact with the other yellow blocks, so the first block needs to send out a stream at that position and the last one needs to be hit at that position. This puzzle highlights that blocks that are part of an in-progress chain don't have to remain stationary; the fact that streams take time to travel and that multiple chains can happen at once allow you to move blocks mid-chain to great effect.

I hope that helps; feel free to ask if you need more!

How far have you made it into the puzzles? The action stages in the adventure mode tend to get much more attention than the puzzles in brainteaser mode, and the lack of achievements related to brainteasers (definitely an oversight) leaves me wondering if anyone's managed to solve the toughest ones. :) Personally, I prefer the puzzles to the action-oriented gameplay of adventure mode. I hope you've been enjoying them!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Honknatter

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:13 pm »
Ugh, now that was easy. Kinda feel like an idiot now  :-[  :D. Well, at least it's done! Thanks for the advice!

So far I finished all the puzzles up to 4-7 plus the puzzle series up to 1-8. Currently working on the puzzle series and I already got a couple of ideas on how to solve them, so I hope those will be finished soon, too. I really don't have a preference regarding brainteasers/puzzles and action stages. I really like them both and while achievements are a nice bonus I don't really believe it to be a major criterion for how much fun there is to have with the game :). I just really like this game as a whole. I love to come back to it from time to time and I never seem to get bored with it at all.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:10:23 pm »
There's definitely a huge amount of fun packed in the game :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:30:23 am »
I'm glad that was helpful and that you're enjoying the game so much. :) It's really exciting that you've made it through that many of the puzzles; congrats! The level 5 puzzles get pretty hard, and puzzle series 2 is also very challenging. I hope you keep us informed on your progress! I'd be happy to help more if you wind up getting stumped. Good luck!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk