Author Topic: Favorite mode?  (Read 5265 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Favorite mode?
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:40:43 am »
My favorite mode so far is Sun and Moon; it has some interesting properties which make it extra fun to play (namely, the nature of the mode interacts with the fact that lit tiles are transparent in an interesting way) :)
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
Re: Favorite mode?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:57:08 am »
Graviton and normal are my favorites. In the next version, you'll be able to mix and match things in interesting ways (Zen Graviton Puzzle Line Clear Sun and Moon Frenzy). :)

Line clear should be a lot more fun after the mechanics are updated to fit the redesign that I've been wanting for a while, too. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:39:06 am »
Yeah graviton's pretty cool too! :)
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54:48 am »
I guess I am most into Normal and Zen, honestly.  Which is funny since I created Graviton and Sun & Moon (Zen was Phil's idea), and I do enjoy Lars's Line Clear mode (which, as he says, will be better soon based on some changes planned for it).  I think that Wind and Water will also be really fun, coming up, but those aren't quite in there yet. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 02:46:34 pm »
Zenzy-Graviton :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline platinawolf

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:11:22 am »
Why not a reverse graviton? Instead of the streams going down they go up? And blocks fall half as fast or something ^^*

My favorite is Zen ^^* To bad the chomping blocks dont make a Nom Nom sound ^^*

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 07:33:46 am »
Why not a reverse graviton?
I've thought of it, believe me :)  Would have to split the logic a bit or we'd have the blocks going up, but I hope we put that one in there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline platinawolf

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:52:31 am »
Why not a reverse graviton?
I've thought of it, believe me :)  Would have to split the logic a bit or we'd have the blocks going up, but I hope we put that one in there.

Yay! Zen + reverse gravity - 3 colors = chaos

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 09:57:13 am »
Don't forget to add Frenzy :)

Offline platinawolf

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:38:22 pm »
Don't forget to add Frenzy :)

*Cackle's* The game would go to itsy bitsy bits trying to calculate all that score :) Just wish I knew how the speedup function works ^^* Click,,, nothing happens. Keep pressed,,, Nothing happens... Click 10 clicks per second,,, Nothing happens ^^*

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »
Are you playing Zen mode?  The speedup button makes blocks fall faster in regular mode -- in Zen mode, there are no blocks falling in that sort of way, so it does effectively nothing. :)

If you want to speed up / slow down time for the simulation, you can use +/- instead, though.  That makes literally everything faster.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline The 9th Sage

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:24 pm »
I haven't had much of a chance to try those modes yet, but I wanted to say I LOVE Sun and Moon.  It adds even more variety since you have to start thinking rather differently than the 'regular' game mode in order to get good at it.  I need to get trying more of these modes.

I definitely appreciate Zen Mode as well...kind of nice to have such a peaceful mode.  Very nice for practicing chains too.  Line mode is pretty cool too, definitely a fun spin on the usual mechanics of the game (it's kind of like fusing it with Tetris).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:58:13 pm by The 9th Sage »

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 11:19:13 pm »
There are some new changes coming to line clear mode that will link it more with the combo system so it's not quite as far removed from the main mechanic nor so reliant on where blocks wind up being randomly placed. There will be changes to the scoring system, but the bulk of the changes will be to the way lines are cleared, as described below:

Quote from: Fiskbit
When a row is cleared, the game waits until the combo that caused the row to clear is done before the row clears. This way, the combo system is incorporated into the clearing of rows and it matters a lot less what the color is of a block that you need to clear. You'll be able to clear a bunch of rows one by one as part of a single combo, and then they'll all clear at once when that combo is finished. I figure the row could be shown slightly highlighted when it's waiting to be cleared to make it obvious to the player that the row will be gone soon.

Should be fun. :)

I'm surprised by how much love Sun and Moon is getting. I'm not a big fan of that mode, personally, since it feels to me like there's a lot less to it, but it certainly is quite different from the norm! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline The 9th Sage

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:44:54 pm »
Quote from: Fiskbit
When a row is cleared, the game waits until the combo that caused the row to clear is done before the row clears. This way, the combo system is incorporated into the clearing of rows and it matters a lot less what the color is of a block that you need to clear. You'll be able to clear a bunch of rows one by one as part of a single combo, and then they'll all clear at once when that combo is finished. I figure the row could be shown slightly highlighted when it's waiting to be cleared to make it obvious to the player that the row will be gone soon.

Ah, actually, that does sound even better.

Offline Ixiohm

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
So far my favorite mode is graviton closely followed by sun & moon. So many crazy jump combos can be done with graviton, it's great  :D By the way, would really like to see puzzles built on that mechanic ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk