Author Topic: *** Had the beta and updated to 1.000 between 7/13 and 717? Read this. ***  (Read 2919 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
For people who were on the beta, but not the latest beta (0.950) and then updated to the official 1.0 version, it actually accidentally skipped some of the last updates to the cutscenes and the adventure levels.  Or, potentially, if you were further back (say 0.854), it would have skipped even more. 

Basically, if you updated to the official 1.0 version of the game between July 13th and July 17th, it jumped from whatever beta version you were on all the way to the 1.0 codebase, but skipping all the content file updates (levels, music, art, etc) between your prior version and the 1.0 version.

This was an error on my part mostly resulting from sleep deprivation, and it's something I corrected on the 17th (and then somehow didn't post here).  From the download logs, it only affected about 20ish people because anyone who got the game through Steam or Impulse didn't have the problem, and anyone updating after the 17th did not have the problem, and anyone installing the 1.0 version fresh even during the affected time period (as a number of folks seemed to do) didn't have the problem.

Anyway, if you find yourself in the affected group and want to make sure you have the final everything, I'd suggest downloading the 1.000 installer and installing that directly.  That's annoyingly inconvenient, and I do apologize about that, but thankfully it just affected a tiny minority of beta players.  Sorry about that, I was really annoyed to see I'd made that mistake in the updater.  It wasn't even a bug, just me using my own updater incorrectly.  Bleh.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
Is there any way to tell if this is a problem within the game?  I'm pretty sure I updated to 1.0 somewhere in this timeframe, but I don't recall what version I upgraded from as there were quite a few beta updates during that time period.  I can always download the installer to be sure, if there isn't an easy way to tell.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
That's the most frustrating part, is that there's no easy way to tell.  Depending on what version...

...well, hmm.  Actually, you could probably look inside RuntimeData/Logic/LevelFolders.  If there is no Ranked Levels folder, you're definitely in the category of having this problem.  If there is you're probably fine, but if you're not sure you can always download the full installer.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
That's fine, I'll just run the installer to be sure.  A few days ago I noticed that starting around levels 70-80ish and higher the levels no longer had names and merely have their numbers for the name.  At the time I assumed it was intentional until I read this, and then I was wondering if perhaps it was a symptom of this problem.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Definitely, that's a symptom -- that's another good sign of them being outdated, so in your case we know pretty definitively now.  Sorry about that!

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
No problem, I did volunteer to be a beta tester after all :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Well, true.  But I generally try to avoid issues like that, in any case. :)

Offline Otagan

I had a rather nasty issue where the tutorials wouldn't load at all after patching the game within that specified timeframe.  It was easily fixed by just downloading 1.000 fresh from the site, like you said.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Ah -- sorry about that, but glad to hear that fixed it!

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
I guess I forgot to followup with this thread, but downloading the full installer and installing it over my existing installation did indeed fix everything up. Thanks for pointing it out!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
My pleasure. Thanks for reporting back! Glad to hear that did it. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk