Author Topic: Tidalis Updater Error  (Read 11637 times)

Offline heglys

Tidalis Updater Error
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:29:06 am »
Hi,
I'm playing Tidalis and appears an update to do in the game. I click it and then I try to run the Tidalis Updater, but always show this error:

What I shoud do?

And why I never find anybody in the network game play? Is it right or something in my network setting is wrong?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Tidalis Updater Error
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:32:47 am »
Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble.  The updater issue is a bug in 1.000, there are instructions for downloading the manual patch here: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,6490.0.html  Unfortunately the only way for us to notify players of the resolution to this is via the forums or via them clicking on the "upcoming 1.001 release notes" in the "What's New" section of the game itself, which not everyone will click.

Fortunately for Steam users and Impulse users, when we do an official update the Steam/Impulse clients will update people directly, anyway.  So that mitigates it somewhat.

Regarding the question on not seeing people on for multiplayer, that's not a bug, it's just the nature of having people paired off for play.  I've written more detailed notes on that here, if there are questions: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,6423.0.html

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:35:53 am by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:35:15 am »
The updater is a bug in 1.000
I've never heard of an updater being a bug :P

And regarding the multiplayer thing, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a counter of "number of players currently in online play" or something? So people at least know that there are games going on, if not any joinable right now?
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 11:36:04 am »
Yeah, yeah, fixed my post. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline heglys

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:31 pm »
Hi,
I installed the patch for Windows and run Tidalis again. I clicked to run the updater and the same error happened.

Should I desinstall and reinstall Tidalis? I bought it in Steam.
How can I don't lose my levels I already complete?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:01:14 pm »
Most likely, if you ran the patch on the Steam version, it did not install the patch in the correct location.  By default it points to the location that the non-Steam version would be located.  You have to point the manual patch into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\tidalis (or equivalent) folder for it to manually update the Steam version.

Or, alternatively, next time there is an official patch (should be next week) through Steam, it will update the game for you.  The only reason you ever need to use our in-game updater is if you want to have the beta versions before they officially come out on Steam.

Hope that helps!

Offline CautiousChaos

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »
unfortunately i also tried to download beta 2 through the main menu and received the same error as the first beta.  When the update runs it attempts to install to c:\program files\tidalis if m bouiemory serves.  i bought it through your site. 

-cc

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »
You're definitely on 1.001 from your error messages, so...

Is it saying it can't write to a file, or can't read a file?

Are you hitting Download Updates in the game version 1.001, and is that working?  If you just hit "run manually" it won't have downloaded anything to run manually against.  So far as I know, the updater is working just fine in 1.001, and you seem to be on 1.001, so I'm not sure what the problem with it is.

If the above doesn't help, can you walk me through your process and what the error is?  Sorry for the trouble here, that is most odd.

Offline Doddler

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 02:45:35 am »
Completely clean install via steam, and I get this error too. :/

Manually installing the beta update fixed it, but it's still kind of annoying.  Even though the update is marked as 'beta', I have a feeling your average user is going to be attracted by the flashing update available button in the bottom left and be confused by the error. :p
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:49:00 am by Doddler »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:38:36 am »
True, but there's not really anything we can do, right? I mean, when the updater is broken in a game, you can't push an update to fix the updater. ;) Trust me, I'm really kicking myself over that bug. In the case of steam and impulse that will be swept under the rug with the next official release, but I have not yet done that out of fear of introducing a larger bug based on the new sound handling stuff. Perhaps the time has come on the sound stuff, but I'll have to make a post about that asking what people think...

Offline bdchan

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 04:05:16 pm »
I am STILL getting this error.
I have Steam, so I just completely uninstalled, reinstalled, tried to run the patch (which didn't work), downloaded and installed the manual patch, and now it's still buggered. All I have accomplished is erasing my game data. :/

eta: Steam hasn't auto-updated this for me since this issue came about... I've had to do it manually. :/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:07:34 pm by bdchan »

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 04:09:05 pm »
Steam doesn't seem to have ever updated the game to version 1.005, which doesn't make any sense to me. Chris should probably follow up with them about that if he has time; I understand how frustrating this can be for users. That said, there is a manual patch you can apply to get around this. Did you try using it? There is a section about it and some links in this thread: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,6755.0.html. Is that of any help?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 04:31:52 pm »
Steam has just been running slow -- I have word from them that it should go live today or tomorrow.

Offline bdchan

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 04:32:51 pm »
I already used that patch, went through all the threads, and made sure everything was in place. :/ I have no clue why it's still not working at all.

Ha, figured it out. The older patches won't work, but the jump does...; Kind of hoping that the next patch isn't this irritating. >< lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 04:34:48 pm by bdchan »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 04:47:41 pm »
Should be a one-time thing, yeah.  Sorry for the trouble!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk