Author Topic: Steam Achievement issue when going from demo to full game  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Goteki45

Steam Achievement issue when going from demo to full game
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:12:30 pm »
Just wanted to say that any achievements awarded while playing the Tidalis demo are not awarded once purchasing the game. Any way a patch can be done to check earned achievements shown in the game and notify Steam to update and unlock them?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Goteki45/stats/Tidalis/?tab=achievements

In-game I'm showing I have 31 achievements (I played the demo quite a bit, the tri-graviton-zen level was too much fun), while Steam is only showing that I have 6.

Thanks for your time!

Offline Goteki45

Re: Steam Achievement issue when going from demo to full game
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »
Errr, nevermind? I quit, then when I played another game just now it unlocked everything I was missing. o_O

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:39:32 pm »
It should unlock everything that was local-only on Steam when you restart the game, but depending on how busy Steam is at the time that might not always happen instantly.  But, it should definitely sync that stuff across (which is unusual for Steam demos, we might add), so glad that worked out as expected for you by the end there!  Thanks very much for your support! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline arcee

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:45 pm »
I'm having the same issue - I played the demo, uninstalled it, and later bought the game.  I've started the game a few times.

If I press shift-tab to bring up the overlay, it says I have 14 achievements (most recent - 'Victory!') .  but looking at the list of them, I only have 'Block Sweeper Mk III', which I earned in the full game (but almost certainly the total of 1000 blocks included demo play).

http://steamcommunity.com/id/arcee/stats/Tidalis
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:39:07 pm by arcee »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:04:54 pm »
Most likely it will straighten itself out as you start the game again, when it tries to resubmit all of them.  If it doesn't, let us know!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline arcee

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:17:18 pm »
still no change.  the first time I started the game today, I noticed some of the messages in the upper left seemed to be relating to the missing achievements - restarting a few more times to try to get a screenshot, they didn't appear again.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:02:16 am »
Are you playing on OSX or Windows, out of curiosity?

Also, it sounds like you are definitely able to bring up the Shift+TAB overlay, so clearly you did launch this through Steam and all that, right?  And Steam isn't in offline mode.

You might want to try deleting all your Tidalis game files except your runtimedata/save folder and your runtimedata/settings.dat file, then let Steam reinstall the game.  Maybe Steam somehow thinks it is still in demo mode or something since the game was not re-downloaded.  I don't really have any insight into that sort of thing, as it's all internal to Valve, but it's curious that the few rare reports of this are all people who played the Steam demo and then bought the game.

Hope that helps!

Offline arcee

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:45:44 am »
playing on windows 7-64

yes, definitely signed in to steam and not offline.  Tidalis does report 'steam user: arcee' or similar in the upper left as I start.

tried deleting the files and redownloading.  No change, I didn't even get the list of achievements on startup again.

One thing: I didn't upgrade the demo to full directly.  I deleted the demo (from steam) a while before I got the full game.

Offline @B0FH

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:24 am »
If the files were deleted off your hard drive then the game won't know whether you have earned achievement x or not, so won't trigger them up.

Have you tried replaying those early levels to re-trigger them?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 08:42:47 am »
Hmm, that is super, super odd.  Generally with that sort of delayed achievement it's just a matter of there being congestion on the Steam servers or similar, then.  Usually it just magically starts working after a while, but why it does is anybody's guess.  I wish I had something more helpful/insightful, but that's all I have at the moment!  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk