Author Topic: resolution & online play issues with Steam/Mac version.  (Read 11342 times)

Offline BlueYoshi

resolution & online play issues with Steam/Mac version.
« on: July 30, 2012, 10:31:42 pm »
Bought Tidalis a few days ago. Encountered a couple issues and hope that they are fixable.

First one is resolution. I have 27" iMac with native resolution of 2560x1440. I read in the forums about Unity engine being able to support that resolution and to acces the config window by holding down the option key while opening game. Which, I have done that in the past with other Unity games (which does work), but for Tidalis, I can't seem to get the config window to appear.

If someone could please give a detailed explanation on what I need to do to get Tidalis running fullscreen in native resolution, that would be fantastic.

The other issue is playing online. A friend and I bought this game because of the online co-op. Yet we can't get the online play to work at all. I try to host a private game & in the top left of the screen I see, "Server Start Error." I check local network games and I get, "UnhandledErrors". We have tried 'connect to network address', but we get the same server error messages.

Could someone please explain in a step-by-step guide, how to play a online co-op game? It was the main reason the friend & I bought this game. Would hate to not have access to online play.

If you can help with these issues, I would really be grateful. Thank you.

Offline @B0FH

• Full Member Mark II
Re: resolution & online play issues with Steam/Mac version.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:08 am »
If you have a look in your Steam/steamapps/common/Tidalis/RunTimeData folder for any errors files (UnhandledErrors.txt etc) and upload them that may allow the guys to pin the issue down to something specific :)

Offline BlueYoshi

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 05:53:57 am »
There are a few Error .txt files. I'll post the errors that occurred in one day. Posting all the times it got errors is just way too much information that just repeats.

Error from, "ErrorsReportedByEngine.txt"

Exception-----------------------------------Log String: ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: Invalid port
Stack Trace: System.Net.IPEndPoint.set_Port (Int32 value)
System.Net.IPEndPoint..ctor (System.Net.IPAddress address, Int32 port)
Lidgren.Network.NetClient.DiscoverLocalServers (Int32 serverPort, Single interval, Single timeout)
NetworkClientWrapper.StartServerDiscovery ()
FindLANGames.StartDiscovery ()
FindLANGames.<SubclassInit>m__11E ()
ArcenButton.Render (Rect ParentBounds, Vector2 EffectiveScrollPosition, Vector3 MousePositionFromTopLeft)
AbstractArcenWindow.WindowFunctionCall (Int32 WindowID)
UnityEngine.GUI+_Window.Do ()
UnityEngine.GUI.BeginWindows (UnityEngine.Event e, Int32 skinMode, UnityEngine.IDList idlist, Int32 editorWindowInstanceID)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error from, "NetworkClientErrors.txt"

Client Connect Error-----------------------------------
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
  at System.Net.IPEndPoint.set_Port (Int32 value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Net.IPEndPoint..ctor (System.Net.IPAddress address, Int32 port) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NetworkClientWrapper.ConnectClient (System.String Server) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error from, "NetworkServerErrors.txt"

Sever Start Error-----------------------------------
Lidgren.Network.NetException: Failed to bind to port 171717 ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
  at System.Net.IPEndPoint.set_Port (Int32 value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Net.IPEndPoint..ctor (System.Net.IPAddress address, Int32 port) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Lidgren.Network.NetBase.Start (System.Net.IPAddress localAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at Lidgren.Network.NetBase.Start (System.Net.IPAddress localAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Lidgren.Network.NetBase.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NetworkServerWrapper.StartServer () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error from, "UnhandledErrors.txt"

-----------------------------------Error-----------------------------------Log String: OnGUI: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
  at Lidgren.Network.NetClient.DiscoverLocalServers (Int32 serverPort, Single interval, Single timeout) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NetworkClientWrapper.StartServerDiscovery () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FindLANGames.StartDiscovery () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FindLANGames.SubclassPreShow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AbstractArcenWindow.PreShow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ArcenGUIManager.DrawGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MainCameraLogic.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Stack Trace:   at System.Net.IPEndPoint.set_Port (Int32 value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Lidgren.Network.NetClient.DiscoverLocalServers (Int32 serverPort, Single interval, Single timeout) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at NetworkClientWrapper.StartServerDiscovery () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FindLANGames.StartDiscovery () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at FindLANGames.SubclassPreShow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at AbstractArcenWindow.PreShow () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ArcenGUIManager.DrawGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at MainCameraLogic.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Hopefully something in that mess will help fix the online play problem.

How about the resolution problem? Is there a file I can dig around in to see if something is preventing me from setting the resolution to native?

Thanks.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:32:03 am »
Hi there,

So, to the couple of issues here:

1. With the network port, that is extremely odd.  It seems to be trying to bind to port 171717, which is indeed not a valid port.  The port that the game is supposed to use is 32321.  When you open the game, and go into network play, then you can hit Configure Network Settings and change the port back to either the default or to another free port that is valid.  Your friend will need to have a matching port to be able to connect to your game.

For a full guide of network play, we actually have that on the wiki: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Tidalis_-_Network_Play

2. In terms of your native resolution, it's not supported directly.  I suggest that you use a lower resolution that is supported by the game, or you're just going to see massive letterboxing anyhow: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Tidalis_-_Common_Technical_Support_Questions#I_set_the_screen_resolution_higher_than_1280x768.2C_and_now_I_have_black_bars

Anything larger than 1280x768 is going to just letterbox anyhow, so your best bet is to just use one of the smaller resolutions that matches your aspect ratio and fits more or less into that.  Otherwise you wind up with just a lot of black on your screen.  Hopefully the wiki article above clarifies why -- 3D games confuse a lot of people as to what the effect of resolution changes is on 2D games, but the effect is the same on all 2D games.  For example, Lone Survivor, Cave Story, or To The Moon all seem to run in some very low resolution only; I think for most of them it is actually 640x480, but I'm not positive.

Hope that helps!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk