Author Topic: My first puzzle  (Read 6877 times)

Offline PLivesey

My first puzzle
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:31:35 am »
Hi there,

This is the first puzzle I have made - I wanted to try and use walls but I think I started out very simple.  I was going to try some sort of spiral puzzle, but I think I will get to that once I get more used to the editor.

Now, onto my puzzle.  I am not sure how hard it is - as I made it I pretty much only see my way as viable.  I can do it in 1 move, but would like to see if there are any other ways.

Feedback welcome!

(Store in Tidalis\RuntimeData\Logic\LevelFolders\Custom, and then in Tidalis click Play -> Puzzles -> Custom -> Plivesey first puzzle.dat)

Edit: Included a screenshot for those who might want to see it before DLing it.  (And no - it isn't set up for the solution... or is it!?)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:33:06 am by PLivesey »

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
Re: My first puzzle
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:41:16 am »
Cool, that was a fun puzzle. I've solved it in one move, but not more. It was very satisfying that it things happened the way I had envisioned it after spending a lot of time setting it up the firs time. :)

This puzzle has made it more clear to me that we need to change around the walls, since the current walls are SO HARD to see. :)

I look forward to more puzzles from you!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PLivesey

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 07:41:56 am »
Cool, that was a fun puzzle. I've solved it in one move, but not more.

This puzzle has made it more clear to me that we need to change around the walls, since the current walls are SO HARD to see. :)

I look forward to more puzzles from you!

Wow, that was quick.  Care to message me where you started?  I am going to try and make it bigger/harder.

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:42:21 am »
I started with the blocks. I can post my solution, if you'd like.

Edit: And I need to edit my posts less. You replied before I'd finished. ;)

Edited again: to remove my spoiler.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:25:41 am by Fiskbit »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PLivesey

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:55:54 am »
I started with the. I can post my solution, if you'd like.

Edit: And I need to edit my posts less. You replied before I'd finished. ;)

Heh, I will make this one harder.  I am currently trying to create a puzzle that is not a 1-time thing, but more a "It depends on which group of colours you get rid of first, and where they are" kind of puzzle.  I hope it's better!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:09:12 am by PLivesey »

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:32 am »
I'm not sure I'd call this puzzle easy; I do have months of experience with the game and trying to solve puzzles I've thrown together with no regard for whether they're solvable. ;) I definitely enjoyed it, at least.

There's a lot of variety in what kind of puzzles you can make in Tidalis. I'm really excited to see what you can pull off. Most everything I've been making is one-move, and the trick is just in setting that up. Puzzles with multiple moves are really interesting, but not something I'm particularly good at making (and probably solving) yet. :)

Offline PLivesey

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:19:56 am »
Perhaps you could make walls either look like brick walls, or simply a filled-in-black-square (like how it is in crossword puzzles).  If you could perhaps edit out where you said you started your solution, (or does this thing have spoiler tags?) just so nobody else sees it :P

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 08:27:09 am »
Changing around the walls was something that was on our list, but didn't happen pre-beta. We intend to have walls that can be shot through and ones that can't, since stationary objects with both properties are important.

As for spoilers, I don't believe this forum has a spoiler tag, unfortunately. I think my edit will do, however!

Offline snrub_guy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 11:01:36 am »
You'll maybe want to edit the quote of the spoiler too then...

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 11:11:17 am »
Bah. With clever solutions like that, I'm not sure I'll be able to make puzzles that can come anywhere close to stumping you. :)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 10:51:06 am »
Added to the Community Brainteasers for official version 1.005!  Thanks so much for the submission!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk