Author Topic: YouTube Let's Play's  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Hyfrydle

YouTube Let's Play's
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:02:18 am »
I thought a thread showcasing the let's play's now the game has been sent to the press would be useful. I came across this one last night and it's quite positive about the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lVQ6sV44WA

The YouTuber is Pewpewchewchew

Offline ulu

• Newbie Mark II
Re: YouTube Let's Play's
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:52:23 am »
Ahh, a Let's Play. Much better than Chris' videos  :P

It looks overall really good and appealing! Combat seems to be fun and the solar map has got lots of color coding to convey all the information. I appreciate this :)

The last thing I'm worried about is the intro. It consists of seven tiny speech bubbles and the text is as much as in AI War. :( That's sad because you did a really great job with the eight unique races and their different behavior. I think TLF has got the potential for much more lore and story but you make (almost) no use of it. One reason why I consider the Fallen Spire campaign for the best way to win in AI War is the fact that it delivers at least some kind of a "story" during the game.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 06:54:12 am »
Unfortunately, Chris and Keith aren't accomplished writers... ;p. Else they would fill the solar system with bits of lore you can discover.

Offline Riabi

• Former Arcen Staff (tigersfan)
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:39:44 am »
Unfortunately, Chris and Keith aren't accomplished writers... ;p. Else they would fill the solar system with bits of lore you can discover.

Heh, not exactly true. :P

I think the reason you don't see more lore is because they spend their time making the game and don't have time for the writing.

Offline Chthon

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:52 am »

I think the reason you don't see more lore is because they spend their time making the game and don't have time for the writing.
I'm sure the lore will come at some point.  There's all sorts of cool things to read about in AI War.  Much of which is amusing :)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:11 am »

Yeah. I think Chris has said in the past that if he wasn't a game designer/programmer he would probably have been a writer, but it's clear from the way the games are written that there is minimal attention focussed in this area (Chris has obviously got a lot of other more important things to concentrate on). Bionic Dues has the best writing for me, due to the wry sense of humor that pervades.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:39:39 am by Pepisolo »

Offline Histidine

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:09 am »
I cannae read the mannerisms of a rock, Captain!

:D

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:10 pm »
I should do single-life LP in-character as "The Last Hydral".

Having zero experience with the game could be comical (and also quite short).

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »
I should do single-life LP in-character as "The Last Hydral".

Having zero experience with the game could be comical (and also quite short).
It could be extremely short ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »
A few new LP videos have popped up:

thPionGaming -- Let's Play: The Last Federation p1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMmlAfw7tK0

Kailvin -- Lets Try: "The Last Federation" (Pre-Release)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rRRrFVIs6E

Pewpewchewchew (already mentioned above) released four additional parts to his series as well.

Offline Cyprene

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:28:39 pm »

I don't want to be a suck-up, but I don't agree with this.  AI War has tons of interesting little tidbits and strange things to find, and they're clearly capable of coming up with compelling alien species. 

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:34:08 pm »
Both of us are aspiring writers, and Chris got considerably further along than path than I did.  But as was speculated here earlier, the other aspects of this project have completely consumed our temporal resources such that the only writing that could be done on top of it all was what you see in the descriptions, tutorials, scenes, etc.  Which is actually quite a lot of text (mostly Chris's).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 07:17:14 pm »
AI War certainly has interesting bits of lore when it does anything journal-related, I'll agree with Cyprene on that. Theres also things like the Plasma Guardian's description, which has nothing to do with lore and is very silly. ;)

Offline Kingpin23

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:35 pm »
Those are some great LP's

One thing is bothering me though and thats the automatic pause function on the solar map.
For people watching the game they probably dont even realize that its real time.
It is continu on hold and the solar system doesnt really look alive then.
Think that was a bad choice in my opinion

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 07:24:50 pm »
I was one of the people who wanted it, but I agree having used it for a while. As I get more comfortable with the game I find that I keep unpausing it because it feels like nothing's happening when it's paused.

Maybe it should be made optional.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk