Author Topic: Would it be possible to have a GOG, Desura, Humble Store version at some point?  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
I ask because this topic does seem to come up occasionally regarding the recent games.

I remember the keys thing didn't work out and there's the issue with Linux updates, but would it be possible to have a pure DRM-Free GOG, Desura, and/or Humble Store version at some point even if it was Windows and/or Mac only?

I remember Shattered Haven having a separate GOG version.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 03:25:27 pm by Professor Paul1290 »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
It is possible that we will have a version for some or all of those stores, and we are planning a Linux updater to allow for that sort of thing.  That said, GOG in particular only wants games that will not be expanded in the future in the form of paid expansions or DLC, which is why Shattered Haven is the only game of ours that they currently carry.  We love working with them, but for now that has been their policy.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Endless Rain

• Newbie Mark II
You should probably put the A Valley Without Wind games on GOG too, since they don't have expansions either.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Well, less 'they don't have expansions' and more I remember Chris saying they weren't likely to get any more updates aside from the occasional bugs some people pointed out awhile back. A lot of arcen's recent games don't have an expansion.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Yep, Tidalis, Valley 1 and 2, Shattered Haven, and Skyward Collapse all have about a zero percent chance of future expansions at this point.  AI War will keep getting them, Bionic might, and TLF is expected to if it goes at all well.  I just need to set aside some time to talk to them again sometime soon.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
I take it the Skyward Collapse expansion didn't do so well then? :\

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff

Definitely an understatement.

Offline junker154

Definitely an understatement.

How come? Actually when I think about it I was really surprised to see that you guys released a game. There wasn't much media coverage about Skyward Collapse compared to other titles like Bionic Dues. Anyway I really wanted to like the game, loved the concept but I didn't enjoy the gameplay.

Looking forward for the last federation.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Skyward Collapse did really well on launch, and had a goodly bit of press about it.  The launch momentum then tapered off unfortunately.  We released the expansion in August, which is always a really bad time to release anything, but we did that as an experiment since an expansion is relatively low-risk.  Unsurprisingly, it did not go gangbusters on launch, but that was fine.  What was NOT fine was that it never did wind up really increasing the sales of the game itself all that much.

I think it all depends on what coverage you happened to see, and where you frequent.  Most people go "oh Bionic Dues had no coverage," versus you feel the opposite, etc.  We always do the best we can, but the circumstances always really kind of vary.

Offline Omgaar

• Newbie Mark II
"Purchasing from our site or elsewhere gets you a Steam key for redemption inside the Steam Client"

Guess this will be another Arcen title I will be pirating.

As for the "GOG only accepts games that wont be getting additional content" I find that hard to believe since the seem to be perfectly willing to release paid DLC for games. You posted that on Feb. 17th, but on Feb. 6th they released DLC for Democracy 3.

And even if that's true, there's the Humble Store, Shinyloot, Desura, and Amazon.

The only reason to not release the game DRM-free is because you want DRM on the game. You could at least be honest about that and not claim to be against DRM while selling titles that are Steam-only.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
I'm a petty thief.

So you barge into Arcen's house, spit in his face, kick him in the shin, and steal his wallet?
Go somewhere else and spew that garbage.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
"Purchasing from our site or elsewhere gets you a Steam key for redemption inside the Steam Client"

As for the "GOG only accepts games that wont be getting additional content" I find that hard to believe since the seem to be perfectly willing to release paid DLC for games. You posted that on Feb. 17th, but on Feb. 6th they released DLC for Democracy 3.

And even if that's true, there's the Humble Store, Shinyloot, Desura, and Amazon.

The only reason to not release the game DRM-free is because you want DRM on the game. You could at least be honest about that and not claim to be against DRM while selling titles that are Steam-only.
So you came here to be a douchebag? How very nice of you. How about you pay for the game and then use a pirated copy, since you don't like DRM? At least give the dev the money for his work spent, OR DO NOT PLAY. Have a freaking spine. I've boycotted bigger games than this over DRM-issues, and if you have ANY sense of morality, you'll stay away from the games rather than steal them.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Histidine

"We might be adding the game to other online stores. To that purpose, we're working on a new Linux updater..."

"HOW DARE YOU MAKE YOUR GAMES STEAM-ONLY?!!1"

Offline nas1m

• Master Member

The kids nowadays, phew ::)...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!

Oh yes, that definitely makes anybody more inclined to take you seriously.

Steamworks. Look it up sometime. Steam provides actual features for games that none of those other stores do.

Seriously, spend some more time learning and less time spewing off like a total moron.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk