Author Topic: Subtitles?  (Read 990 times)

Offline runetrantor

• Newbie Mark II
Subtitles?
« on: April 28, 2014, 07:09:30 pm »
As a non-english native speaker, I am finding it extremely hard to understand when the ship computer talks to me after a battle or event, between my lack of understanding, the low voice volume, and the music on top, the dialoge is at best a whisper in the background, and I keep hearing there's some fun lines, and some useful info in them, so I feel I am kind of missing out. D:

Is there any subtitle option I missed, or its not something available?
Democracy works under the premise that the general populace has common sense and long-term thinking, that alone dooms it to failure. -Me.

Offline lifehole

Re: Subtitles?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 02:04:28 am »
Well you can turn down the music/adjust volume levels, but I don't think there is subtitles because there isn't really a need for them besides the computer girl speaking. Which isn't exactly a lot of dialogue, but it's a cute touch to the game.

Offline GC13

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 11:51:40 am »
Yeah, your computer assistant never gives you any information that you can't get from the notifications (or, really, from looking at the map). But I really like her comments when the Peltians take a planet, and when the Thoraxians become spacefaring. :)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Hari must be destroyed.

Offline LastDay

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:57:03 am »
Yeah I was surprised to see no Subtitles option in the settings menu...
In the end I maxed out Voices and put the music/sounds down to 20% or so to hear the voice better.
Some of the stuff she says is pretty funny!

I think that the Voice should be louder, though.
What I mean is if you set both music and Voice at 50% you'd expect both to be around the same sound levels, but right now you want Voice to be at least 50% above Music to make the sound levels feel equal.

Offline GC13

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »
Yeah, I also have to put music down low (but I put it to 30) to make the voice heard at 100. Listening to the voice files on their own, they sound alright; the music really needs to be toned down if any change is made. At the very least, the default settings need to favor voice more than they do right now.
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Hari must be destroyed.

Offline Ucchedavada

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:39:46 pm »
Well you can turn down the music/adjust volume levels, but I don't think there is subtitles because there isn't really a need for them besides the computer girl speaking. Which isn't exactly a lot of dialogue, but it's a cute touch to the game.

Keep in mind that fiddling with the volumes wont help if you deaf or if you have to play with the volume turned down (for whatever reason).

Offline runetrantor

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:15:03 pm »
I know its not like I am missing vital info, but I really want to enjoy the snark of the girl, and even though I did reduce my music levels to 50, and voice up to 100, its still hard, her voice seems autotuned to be robotic, like GLaDOS, and that makes it harder to get if you dont provide a very clear environment to hear it like in POrtal where music was much softer.

Right now I can at best make out the names of the races, and maybe two words, but everything else is very... hard to hear? (Like if I was hearing an adult in the Charlie Brown universe).
Do remember I am a non-native english user, and my skills in said language are mostly in reading and writing, as I dont generally get the chance to hear english without subs, so I am less capable of understanding.
Democracy works under the premise that the general populace has common sense and long-term thinking, that alone dooms it to failure. -Me.

Offline NickAragua

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:16:00 pm »
I agree that it would be a nice to have feature (although not critically game breaking). I would put it up on mantis.

Offline Ucchedavada

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:16:45 pm »
Pepisolo has actually already put it on the tracker:
http://arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=13848

Offline runetrantor

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:49:46 pm »
Mantis...?

Oh, bug tracker, right?

... Ah, I got it! (I'm slow)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk