Author Topic: Why did I fight the Boarnies? EDIT: and other questions  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Why did I fight the Boarnies? EDIT: and other questions
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:27:23 am »
So I decided to help Boarnies to terraform their planet and gave them spacefaring tehcnology. Then I decided to smuggle spacefaring technology to the Acutians and to my surprise in addition to fighting against the Evucks (which was my "starting race") I also had to fight against the Boarines even though my Influence (I think that's what it's called) with them was over 100 (aka they liked me). If they like me why would they try to kill me? Or does high Influence actually mean they "like" me? Is it just that it's easier to tell them what to do and all races are my enemies by default and will only be my friends when they join the Federation? And High Influence is required to get them to join the Federation.

So my question is: why did I have to fight the Boarnies? Influence makes it easier to tell them what to do.. but if they hate you so much they want to kill you.. why would they listen to you? How is it possible to have high Influence with someone who wants to kill you in the first place. Now ok ok this is a game. Also I think I already answered my own question and understand now (brain started working when I started writing). They obviously don't want me to smuggle technology to their potential enemy and stuff.

Another question: How did the Acutians destroy the Hydrals without spacefaring technology?

Another "another question": When I smuggled the spacefaring technology to the Acutian I fought against Evucks AND Boarnies.. so Evucks and Boarnies worked together. What if Evucks and Boarnies hated each other? Would they still try to kill me together? What if the other race was in my Federation?

Note that I've not completed the tutorial and I probably wont. I just started playing and reading all the tool tips. Which is exactly what I did with AI War. I never touched the tutorials I just started playing and enabled all settings and expansion. AKA I learned by experimenting, reading tool tips, theory crafting and exploring the game.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Lord Fiddlemeister

• Newbie Mark III
Re: Why did I fight the Boarnies? EDIT: and other questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:42:37 am »
The reason they're fighting you is because they don't want you to share the space tech with another race. They're blockading the planet and really dislike your action of sharing the space tech :p

Offline SuperCactus

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:57 am »
You begin with a neutral influence on all races beside the one you choose to start with as you stole their experimental flagship. There are solutions to make races that hate you join the federation (skylaxian senate can achieve this miracle), as such you don't really need everyone to like you, you mostly need them to like each other.

Even if races hate each other they will ally in the fight to prevent you from delivering spacefaring tech. For the "my federation", actually it is not your federation, it is their federation  :).

Arcutians threw one of their moons at the Hydral homeworld, it's like their signature move, you'll learn to respect that the hard way.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:27:30 am »
Arcutians threw one of their moons at the Hydral homeworld
I wonder how did they do this?
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline SuperCactus

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 04:43:24 am »
The legend tells they strapped rockets to the moon to propel it. The game itself is kinda elusive on how a non spacefaring race could do this but http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,14814.0.html video gives an answer, looks like other races tried many times to get into space but Hydrals prevented them from doing so.

Offline galdor123

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 04:58:14 am »
It is really unfortunate that this intro video is not included with the game. I was really confused, same as the OP, thinking that story is probably not at all a strength of this game.

Offline SuperCactus

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 05:38:32 am »
Well the story you "write" is the important one. Maybe the devs will include it in the game at some point.

Offline galdor123

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 05:40:38 am »
Sure, it's certainly not very important for a game like this. But I would like the premise of the game to make at least a little sense. And as it stands, if you do not watch that video on the internet, it just does not make a lot of sense (at least for me).

Offline SuperCactus

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 05:49:24 am »
Even after watching this it does not explain why some races need a so long time to become spacefaring, or why they need you to give them the tech if they were close to become spacefaring. But I don't feel like we should need to think hard on this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

Offline ObliqueFault

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 07:37:24 am »

When a race becomes "space-faring", that's when they gain the ability to build manned spacecraft. They can send out unmanned craft before this, and presumably that's what the Arcutians used for the moon trick. Although, when you're talking about a robotic species like the Arcutians, the line between "manned" and "unmanned" isn't at all clear, but that's a separate issue. :)

Offline Histidine

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:01:20 am »

When a race becomes "space-faring", that's when they gain the ability to build manned spacecraft. They can send out unmanned craft before this, and presumably that's what the Arcutians used for the moon trick. Although, when you're talking about a robotic species like the Arcutians, the line between "manned" and "unmanned" isn't at all clear, but that's a separate issue. :)
There's also a big difference between "can put a probe into space" and "can built and maintain a Star Destroyer."

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:59:01 am »
There's also a big difference between "can put a probe into space" and "can built and maintain a Star Destroyer."

But not a lot between "put a probe into space" and "make those probes strap themselves to the backside of a moon."

Offline ObliqueFault

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 09:31:18 am »
Exactly. That tactic is so easy we could have done it by the 1970's, if there were another planet in the solar system we wanted to take out. ("Die, Mars, die! Bwahahahahaha!")

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:55 am »
And while it will cause mass extinction, it probably wouldn't crack the planet in half.  Our own moon was formed when something half the size of mars collided with Earth.

So our moon is abnormally large in the first place, two, we were hit with a god damn planet.

Still, works well enough for me to believe it.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 07:05:49 pm »
They have limited space tech, but the Hydrals shot down all manned missions. The Moon-Cannon wasn't seen as a manned mission, so they didn't pay attention to it, especially with Evuck probes drying out their oceans.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk