Author Topic: TLF Version 1.006 Beta Released (Besieging And Federating)  (Read 3238 times)

Offline LaGrange

• Newbie Mark III
Re: TLF Version 1.006 Beta Released (Besieging And Federating)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2014, 11:52:12 am »
1. Updating should be fine with saves. If it will break saves, it will say so in the release notes, but they do not do that very often (possibly never after 1.0 is released).

2. Achievements should be fine. They are logged locally, and then updated with Steam periodically. Even if you launch the game without Steam and earn several, you should get the Steam achievements the next time you load the game with Steam.
Topper, thanks for your reply! On 2, let's say I launch the game without Steam on computer 1, play for awhile, generate a save game, and then open up that save game on computer 2 when Steam is running. That will trigger any achievements acquired in the save game?

Offline topper

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2014, 01:14:31 pm »
1. Updating should be fine with saves. If it will break saves, it will say so in the release notes, but they do not do that very often (possibly never after 1.0 is released).

2. Achievements should be fine. They are logged locally, and then updated with Steam periodically. Even if you launch the game without Steam and earn several, you should get the Steam achievements the next time you load the game with Steam.
Topper, thanks for your reply! On 2, let's say I launch the game without Steam on computer 1, play for awhile, generate a save game, and then open up that save game on computer 2 when Steam is running. That will trigger any achievements acquired in the save game?
I do not really know if this holds for all of the achievements, but I think they are only logged at the moment a certain event happens. So your question does not exactly make sense because they are not really stored inside save games.

If you want to get the achievements from an offline computer to a Steam computer, you probably should find a save game right before you earn the achievement. Load up the save on the Steam computer and let it play out until you earn the achievement again. I think there is also a way to transfer game profiles manually if you look inside the game folder, so that could also work to get achievements you earned on a different computer into Steam.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 01:44:48 pm »
[Edit4]  Just so we don't have these deadlock situations, would it be possible for a races to ally if they have sufficiently high relations for a ridiculous amount of time?  I'd think that two races fanatically devoted to eachother would be pretty lasting, haha.

Can you post your save?  This would be really useful.  The population-leveling is something that does happen, by the way, but given sufficient time and planets, or sufficient terraforming on a gas giant, the sky is pretty much the limit.

... the races that are non-spacefaring start getting pretty miffed when you federate without even bothering to help them get spacefaring tech first.  Their attitude toward the federation races steadily drops, as does your influence with them.  I like this because it is absolutely sensible as a reaction from them, and it neatly nips that particular exploit off.

I'm wondering about why this is a sensible reaction from the races. Perhaps it is just confusion on my end but it seems like a over negative response. I am trying to think about it if we humans met an alien federation who had purposefully chosen to not give us the gift of spacefaring I think we would still be willing to join their Federation and wouldn't hold a lot of ill will towards them. I guess the analog is the UN and nations that are not members. But the only non-member states that actively resent the UN are ones that have committed deeds that the UN itself resents. The rest are often actively trying to join the UN, as is my understanding.

I really need to get some form of this into the game, because it confuses the lore when people don't know this backstory, heh: http://christophermpark.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-last-federation-intro-story-video.html

I love the game and really love testing the updates and seeing it change and grow.

Thank you very much! :)

Well but why is there is no option to bribe in the diplomatic menue?

That has only ever shown up when you have bribe items that actually are interesting to that race; I guess you always just had a ton? :)

Sorry for the two quick questions but:

1. Can I safely continue my 1.005 beta savegame with this 1.006 beta?
2. Can you get Steam Achievements when playing a beta?

Thanks.

Yes and yes! :)

Also, I noticed that some of those "relationship building" buildings can improve a race's relationship with itself.

It won't actually do so, though.  That's just the list of races who like other races better if built.  Since they are building it, that doesn't apply.

I do not really know if this holds for all of the achievements, but I think they are only logged at the moment a certain event happens. So your question does not exactly make sense because they are not really stored inside save games.

If you want to get the achievements from an offline computer to a Steam computer, you probably should find a save game right before you earn the achievement. Load up the save on the Steam computer and let it play out until you earn the achievement again. I think there is also a way to transfer game profiles manually if you look inside the game folder, so that could also work to get achievements you earned on a different computer into Steam.

Achievements are saved in your settings.dat file.  So transferring a save would not work in that scenario, but transferring the settings.dat file would work just fine.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »
I really like the direction this game is heading. The trade nerf and attitude buildings especially, and the increased fed requirements. It makes it so you have to plan the long game. The only standout problem at the moment it Acutians crushing everything, but that'll be fixed by 1.007 (which comes out this evening?).

One thing I still find unintuitive is that races with a common enemy or mutual friend don't have an increasing relationship with each other, and they should.

Keep up the awesome!
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline LaGrange

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 03:54:21 pm »
Achievements are saved in your settings.dat file.  So transferring a save would not work in that scenario, but transferring the settings.dat file would work just fine.
Thanks for the help!

Offline Orelius

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 04:48:11 pm »
[Edit4]  Just so we don't have these deadlock situations, would it be possible for a races to ally if they have sufficiently high relations for a ridiculous amount of time?  I'd think that two races fanatically devoted to eachother would be pretty lasting, haha.

Can you post your save?  This would be really useful.  The population-leveling is something that does happen, by the way, but given sufficient time and planets, or sufficient terraforming on a gas giant, the sky is pretty much the limit.

Here's the save!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk