Author Topic: Proposal: Tactical Space Support  (Read 3146 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Proposal: Tactical Space Support
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:23:25 am »
This mission would be an action that would allow a player to directly assist ground forces by using the flagship to tactically strike the planet. The impact probably wouldn't cause a planet to flip if it wasn't already, but it would speed up the process.

Conditions:

No more then 1 enemy armada present (Impossible to tactically strike the craft if any evasive maneuvers must be done)
This will cause a minor penalty to races who do not normally engage in bombing of any sort. It's better then the crude bombing that can be taken in mid-battle, but still is bombing.
This will provide a moderate boost to the invading race, and a smaller boost to other nations at war.
Naturally, a major hit to the race being hit.

So in practice this is almost purely an offensive move since on defense the player would be forced to engage the enemy naval fleet anyway.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Proposal: Tactical Space Support
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:26:35 am »
I like this idea a lot -- it beats waiting around for a planet to flip, particularly with the Skylaxians and the Andors.  I've added it to our to-do list for coming up. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:30 am »
I like this idea a lot -- it beats waiting around for a planet to flip, particularly with the Skylaxians and the Andors.  I've added it to our to-do list for coming up. :)

To this day, I am still impressed with the turnaround time that you manage. That was 3 minutes!!!

:)
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 11:28:57 am »
Thank you very much, it means a lot.  :D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:23:11 pm »
Wait, aren't we supposed to post these suggestions at Mantis? ._.

Since now I'm starting to feel silly about posting suggestions at there which nobody seems to notice xD

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:34:13 pm »

Since now I'm starting to feel silly about posting suggestions at there which nobody seems to notice xD

No no no. It is  more efficient to post on mantis.

I just have this quirk where I almost never post there. I very well expect that most of my ideas are "lost" because I don't.

When I post here, I want discussion and typically some noble soul will post it on mantis once a degree of consensus is reached.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline GC13

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:53:47 pm »
That reminds me: I need to savage Mantis with a long, thoroughly thought out suggestion for the strategic layer of the game this weekend. I'll be merciful and put it all as one suggestion, as otherwise it would be a flood.

I do like the idea of tactical support. We can already provide tactical support to rebels (though we are given zero indication of what effect it might have, or what it actually does), so why not invading armies?
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Hari must be destroyed.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 01:05:09 pm »
Go one step further and allow space to ground interdiction flights. Swap the background for a planet base background and then have the Hydran player laying waste to armies, cities, etc.

Possibly as a giant robotic hydra.

It would take a bit of work to implement.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 01:12:32 pm »

Trust me, we notice all of those, but we don't always get to everything immediately.  If you put something in mantis, then it will be permanently logged and has a chance of getting implemented later on if it's not something we're going to address immediately.  If it goes in the forums only, then either it gets added to our to-do list immediately (which sometimes happens, as here), or else it gets permanently forgotten unless it does get to mantis.

Go one step further and allow space to ground interdiction flights. Swap the background for a planet base background and then have the Hydran player laying waste to armies, cities, etc.

Something along those lines is something I'd like to really flesh out for an expansion sometime down the road.  A lot more involved than what you're thinking, even, but I think it would be really cool.  But not anytime soon, heh.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:36:01 pm »
Oh, okay, sorry for jumping to conclusions :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 02:21:04 pm »
Not a worry. :)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 02:33:00 pm »

Something along those lines is something I'd like to really flesh out for an expansion sometime down the road.  A lot more involved than what you're thinking, even, but I think it would be really cool.  But not anytime soon, heh.

Maybe?

Offline jonasan

• Jr. Member Mark III
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 06:52:03 pm »
That reminds me: I need to savage Mantis with a long, thoroughly thought out suggestion for the strategic layer of the game this weekend. I'll be merciful and put it all as one suggestion, as otherwise it would be a flood.

Looking forward to this... I am keen to read your thoughts and ideas on this area. It's been on my mind too.

Judging by some of the excellent points you've made so far on different issues in the game, I'm really hoping you might have come up with some gold to push the development of the strategy layer in the right direction :)

Offline GC13

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 07:09:07 pm »
Oh, now you're giving me a reputation to live up to. That's high praise, but harsh at the same time. ;D

I haven't forgotten, but as I am wont to do I've been delaying actually starting writing. Perhaps I should collect my thoughts onto paper (er, I mean, a .txt file) so they become a bit less ephemeral. :)
Furthermore, it is my opinion that Hari must be destroyed.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »
I'd suggest putting it out on the forum and getting some refinement done before dropping it on the mantis. The mantis options for organization and feedback aren't as good as the forum's options. Plus, this way we can bicker about things without clouding up the mantis.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk