Author Topic: Preview: Simulations In The Last Federation  (Read 28260 times)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Preview: Simulations In The Last Federation
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 03:33:53 pm »
Just a thought, but i was wondering if there might be ranges in the warfare kinds of activity, meaning the races have other things to do as well... like say a planet that is heavily technological and has a planetary defense that is 90% effective and it spends a large percentage of its time on research, which it may sell, or perhaps use to further protect itself.

Or farm worlds that are protected by fleets of a planets own orbital ships, or ground based defenses.

Or perhaps races that are into literature or even drama and spend their time in video/computer game heaven while the world races, surges, wars and dies around them?

I guess what i am saying is if the planets were engaged in things other than just shooting at one another?
Or is that boring?

Anyway, just a thought,
-Teal

p.s.  actually, what chemical_art said is right on the money. 
:)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:46:28 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 03:47:23 pm »
Just a thought, but i was wondering if there might be ranges in the warfare kinds of activity, meaning the races have other things to do as well... like say a planet that is heavily technological and has a planetary defense that is 90% effective and it spends a large percentage of its time on research, which it may sell, or perhaps use to further protect itself.

Or farm worlds that are protected by fleets of a planets own orbital ships, or ground based defenses.

Or perhaps races that are into literature or even drama and spend their time in video/computer game heaven while the world races, surges, wars and dies around them?

I guess what i am saying is if the planets were engaged in things other than just shooting at one another?
Or is that boring?

Oh yes, quite.  Wars do happen, but most of the time the solar system is not actively at war.  It's probably possible to avoid any wars at all in some games, although others might be a murder-fest due to circumstances.  But more of the gametime is likely spent with no wars at all rather than with even any one war on.

Pirates, insurgents, and other forces are your main direct combat threat.  Generally as a mercenary fleet, going up against planetary forces is not the best, although sometimes it is.  You're also mainly on a mission to win favor with the various races and thus convince them to join the federation, so not everything you do is directly military in the first place.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 03:50:08 pm »

Or is that boring?

Oh yes, quite.  Wars do happen, but most of the time the solar system is not actively at war.  It's probably possible to avoid any wars at all in some games, although others might be a murder-fest due to circumstances.  But more of the gametime is likely spent with no wars at all rather than with even any one war on.

Pirates, insurgents, and other forces are your main direct combat threat.  Generally as a mercenary fleet, going up against planetary forces is not the best, although sometimes it is.  You're also mainly on a mission to win favor with the various races and thus convince them to join the federation, so not everything you do is directly military in the first place.

Wonderful!!  :)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 04:55:57 pm »
Now that peacetime activities are cleared up will glazing an entire planet be an option ;). Not necessarily by us, but by renegades or other planetary systems. By us would be cool too though ;)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »
One of the wimpiest races, the Evucks, has a last-ditch special action they can take when under attack.  It's called Ignite Gas Giant.  They can only do it if they are on a gas giant, and they have to do it before they either die or the attack is thwarted.  But that "glazes" quite a bit more than just one planet.

One of the robotic races, the Acutians (these guys are kind of jerks), is able to build a "planet cracker."  They have to have a lot of engineers and a lot of time, plus an uncolonized moon to spare on their planet.  But when they are done, this launches their moon straight at another planet and... well, bye.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 06:02:33 pm »
One of the wimpiest races, the Evucks, has a last-ditch special action they can take when under attack.  It's called Ignite Gas Giant.  They can only do it if they are on a gas giant, and they have to do it before they either die or the attack is thwarted.  But that "glazes" quite a bit more than just one planet.

One of the robotic races, the Acutians (these guys are kind of jerks), is able to build a "planet cracker."  They have to have a lot of engineers and a lot of time, plus an uncolonized moon to spare on their planet.  But when they are done, this launches their moon straight at another planet and... well, bye.

This i have to see!   :)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 07:00:35 pm »
Yeah. That's pretty awesome!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 07:30:06 pm »
Huh, this reminds me to some extent of Drox Operative. Cool idea! I likes.

This.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
One of the defining characteristics of AI war is just how many obstacles you can put in front of yourself; the challenge is adjustable, and it feels like the experience is even more rewarding when you can take on that much more because you are skilled. You don't get to see, fight, or experience half of what you do when you don't know how to play.

That's what I mean by rewarding skilled players.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 10:36:35 pm »
That sounds pretty cool!

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2013, 09:06:58 pm »
I am super excited to get in on the ground floor testing this thing. Hopefully the alpha comes before X Rebirth is released or I will have time conflicts. :)

Offline Rekka

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2013, 04:42:15 am »
That sound indeed very interesting and very unique game as usual with Arcen. :) Can't wait to see more of it! :D

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2013, 08:59:43 am »
I am super excited to get in on the ground floor testing this thing. Hopefully the alpha comes before X Rebirth is released or I will have time conflicts. :)

I'm guessing it won't be, sorry. :(

That said, I may have to excercise some self-control to not play X:R all the time myself. That is, assuming they don't screw it up. :p

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2013, 09:22:46 am »
One of the defining characteristics of AI war is just how many obstacles you can put in front of yourself; the challenge is adjustable, and it feels like the experience is even more rewarding when you can take on that much more because you are skilled. You don't get to see, fight, or experience half of what you do when you don't know how to play.

That's what I mean by rewarding skilled players.

Oh, I gotcha -- yeah, that makes sense.  For this game we aim to have a super-simple "quick start" way for players to get into the game that is basically like "what difficulty do you want, and what race?" and not much more than that.  The amount of randomization and the hugely varied situations you would run into just from that alone will lead to all sorts of hilarity (as we've already been noting in early testing where we just let the simulation run on superspeed and see what the races do without any intervention from the player).

But we also plan to have an Advanced Setup mode that is more like the AI War lobby, where you can change a bunch of different things and create some insane challenges.  Some of the ones I've thought of are letting the player kind of have a "semi-restart" in an advanced solar system that they have already won or lost, so that they can take some crazy late-game situation that they are familiar with, and use it as a starting point for a new game.  Brutal. 

Another option that doesn't require an existing save will be to just "start X minutes into the game," where we basically fast-forward the simulation for you for however long, and your mercenary fleet then enters a more mature galaxy.  Some race might already have taken over half the galaxy and created a Fear Empire, or a couple of races might have created a Solar Axis Pact.  All of the races would probably be spacefaring, and there might be some intense Psyops going on between a couple of them.  Maybe a gas giant already ignited and half the solar system is gone.  Etc.

We could probably also make some advanced options for specifically starting with circumstances along those lines, too.  There is some nasty stuff that can crop up later in the game if you don't watch what is going on, and letting you get straight to that is pretty interesting.  Probably cool to do modifiers on various things like having the ability to make Anti-Federation Demonstrators a lot more likely or numerous, or having them turn into insurgents straightaway instead of just demonstrators, etc.

Likely we won't have the advanced setup screen at first in the alpha unless we wind up needing it for testing purposes (which we might, not sure), but the game is so full of crazy stuff that can happen that it's not hard to turn on things saying "okay this has happened before the game started" or similar.

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 09:28:19 am »
... the game is so full of crazy stuff that can happen that it's not hard to turn on things saying "okay this has happened before the game started" or similar.
I can't think of much that would have increased my excitement about the new game more than these few words ;D...
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk