Author Topic: Potential research exploit?  (Read 978 times)

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
Potential research exploit?
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:59:24 am »
I saw a fix in the latest patch that concerned me. 

"Fixed an issue where if a race discovered a technology before you were finished co-researching it with them, you would not get a copy of it."

How does this work? Does that mean if any race finishes researching a tech after you've helped them partially research it, you will get a copy? That sounds like you can go around "tagging" various techs and eventually gain them without any real contribution.

Offline Rujasu

Re: Potential research exploit?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 06:11:02 am »
Nothing of the sort. It's just saying that sometimes races complete research on a tech you were currently in the dispatch mission of researching for them, so when you complete the dispatch research for the tech they now already have, you wouldn't get the tech yourself. This has been fixed now, and you get teh tech at the end of the dispatch mission as usual.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:15:15 am »
Basically I had this happen to me:

I wanted a tech, but the research time was 64 months.  I went and hired 2 scientists (-10 months each) and started researching (44 months).

After 13 months, the race discovered the tech on their own (behind the scenes AI actions).  I was not given a copy and both scientists left my collection.  I then had to steal the tech from them as I had no other (reasonable) way to acquire it.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 11:28:18 am »
That makes sense. I thought the problem being fixed was more like, "I helped research a tech, but had to go deal with some even with 2 months left, and they finished it without me."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk