Author Topic: Alpha .102 now out. (New combat GUI screenshot attached)  (Read 2856 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Alpha .102 now out. (New combat GUI screenshot attached)
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:38:48 pm »
Release notes: http://arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=The_Last_Federation_Alpha_Release_Notes#Alpha_Verson_.102

This one does a bunch of stuff:

- All new background graphics during battles.  More variety, and darker colors.  7 in all so far, 3 more to go in the short term.

- A bunch of ship balance changes and fixes.

- Some AI fixes, although more stuff is needed (but pointless right now because of other coming changes with the hydral abandoned technology, and the need for the AI to respond to that).

- A lot of the work on the hydral abandoned technology, and the engineering ships for the player, has been done.  But it wasn't quite releaseable yet.

- The combat GUI has been heavily heavily reworked.  It now has more room for various things, and for what it does takes up less of the screen.  It also has a dedicated tooltip area, so that for once in a game of ours you don't have part of your screen unexpectedly getting obscured by a tooltip as you mouse around.  There is more to come in that tooltip area, though.  It's meant to have four tabs on it, with some extra info that can be shown in place of the tooltips when you want to check things like intel, your objectives, or controls hints.

Anyway, we're making lots of progress, although obviously it's not where we want to leave it yet with the combat.  There's still both more content and more AI logic needed for that to truly shine, but it's coming along well I think!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Alpha .102 now out. (New combat GUI screenshot attached)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:08:46 pm »
Ooo, pretty!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 10:23:33 pm »
very, very nice!  :)  Looking good!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:15:24 pm »
Looks great!   I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I think having the queue arranged vertically makes more sense logically.

Title music is freaking awesome!  Best theme yet!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 11:19:41 pm »
I definitely think all the music in this game is Pablo's best work yet.  You haven't heard much else of it because it's in the main game, but it is there in RuntimeData/Music if you want to take a sneak peek at the tracks that are ready.  Glad you like the new layout!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 02:14:48 am »
Glad you like the new layout!
Indeed :D. Shiny!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 02:20:33 am »
The new UI looks pretty clean. Very nice :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Breach

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:28:53 am »
This actually looks fantastic, very sleek. Some of the best stuff visually Arcen has produced to date. Not actually seen in motion yet but I really hope this allays some of the usual criticisms you guys get about graphics!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 08:24:21 am »
I hope so, too! This if definitely our best work yet to date visually. Then again, some people will always complain, so I don't expect that to ever stop unless we to bleeding-edge 3d (and even then people grumble about certain things). But I hope it will stop the bulk of the commentary to the negative end, yes. :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 10:00:31 am »
I hope so, too! This if definitely our best work yet to date visually. Then again, some people will always complain, so I don't expect that to ever stop unless we to bleeding-edge 3d (and even then people grumble about certain things). But I hope it will stop the bulk of the commentary to the negative end, yes. :)

If that one happened you'd probably at least get me complaining that it isnt 2D anymore.  :P

New interface looks pretty good, by the way.  And the more descriptive things are, the better.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:07:03 am »
Yeah, I prefer 2D too, in most stuff. :)

Someday if it becomes technically easier to make assets for them, it would be fun to make an FPS, I think.  And a Kart Racer.  And a 3D adventure game and/or platformer.  But beyond those things, I'm all 2D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk