Author Topic: Help us out naming the ship classes!  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Help us out naming the ship classes!
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »
- Interceptor
- Cutter
- Monitor
- Predator
- Claymore

Ooh, yeah, Cutter and Monitor are much better.  I still prefer Predator over the others suggested there, and Claymore.  Claymore is a large sword, yes, but in more recent military meaning it is also a large antipersonnel mine.  The sense I'm using it in is in the latter.

Forgive me for not quite getting it, but your names, while interesting, don't explain anything specific about what size the ships are, or what they do.  If the naming conventions of 'type' are not useable, then i would like to suggest a numbering convention that would at least tell me what size craft i am deploying and have a tentative idea of what that means to a battle, or my ships survivability.

MK1                    - Fighters/Interceptors
MK2                    - Light Assault Craft/Cutters
MK3                    - Bombers/Monitors
MK4                    - Heavy Assault Craft/Predators
MK5                    - Multi-Target Craft/Claymores

In this way, whether i 'know' the name or not, or the function of the ship, I can readily realize, from the first practice game that my MK1's are going to be light and fast and my MK3's and MK4's are the heavier hitters.  I think the Predator and the Monitor and such are cool names, it is just 'that i don't know what they are' that makes them hard to use, because i don't know what i should be grabbing, or planning next in the que.

Anyway, i know you are probably fed up with all the requests of we don't like this, or we like such and such more, but as long as its 'clear' as to function or size then I have an idea of what i need to use for the battles.

As a compromise, if you would be willing to have the names with an appendage to them, would be great with me!  :)

- Interceptor    (MK1)
- Cutter            (MK2)
- Monitor          (MK3)
- Predator        (MK4)
- Claymore       (MK5)

So that is really something i think i could understand, sorry to belabor that so much, but i'm just trying to find something i can understand.

Sincerely,
Teal

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2014, 07:55:05 pm »
These aren't serially better than one another -- they all have distinct functions, and generally the squadrons of the smaller things are bigger enough to hit the larger things.  If I were to put numbers on there, you'd be really confused why your Mk II routinely trashed your Mk IV in a lot of circumstances, heh.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:11 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply and guess i really should wait until i can feel how the game plays instead of just making suggestions now. Thanks

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2014, 08:21:34 pm »
No worries at all.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk