Author Topic: This Game is Just. Awesome.  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
This Game is Just. Awesome.
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:54:22 pm »
I never knew I would really enjoy a turn-based shmup.

As a completely new player, there were a few confusing things:

Text Bug: weapons read "This special ability has been completely used up, but is eligible to have a new one replace it in 30 turns."

I was deeply confused. I thought I was restricted to the first weapon, and I wasn't sure what was a limitless-ammo weapon and a limited special ability for a while.

The other stumbling block was right when I first hit the solar map. I just had absolutely no idea what to do, or how to do any of the things I might want to do, if I knew what I wanted to do. The quests were a good start, but they only delayed the issue by their duration.

I think that a tutorialized walkthrough through some basic dispatch missions would really help.

Finally: researching technologies. I had absolutely no clue how I was supposed to research things.

(Andor parliament bug: when making a speech, it always shows "will increase [party's] party membership from 5 to 15, regardless of actual change or current membership.)

Mantising...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:11:27 pm by Faulty Logic »
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: This Game is Just. Awesome.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 05:11:25 pm »
I never knew I would really enjoy a turn-based shmup.
I never guessed we would make one, but here we are.

Text Bug: weapons read "This special ability has been completely used up, but is eligible to have a new one replace it in 30 turns."
Oh, right.  Just put in for 0.905:
* Fixed a bug where the "This special ability has been completely used up..." messages were showing for normal weapons (which never run out of ammo and are never replaced; this is strictly for special abilities).

The other stumbling block was right when I first hit the solar map. I just had absolutely no idea what to do, or how to do any of the things I might want to do, if I knew what I wanted to do. The quests were a good start, but they only delayed the issue by their duration.
Did the game point you towards the Adviser button?

Finally: researching technologies. I had absolutely no clue how I was supposed to research things.
I think there's a tutorial that pops up when you're far enough in for the tech tree to unlock.  Did that show up?

(Andor parliament bug: when making a speech, it always shows "will increase [party's] party membership from 5 to 15, regardless of actual change or current membership.)
Already fixed from another report for 0.905.  But thanks for making sure we knew.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:40:10 pm »
I think there's a tutorial that pops up when you're far enough in for the tech tree to unlock.  Did that show up?
Yes, but I missed it the first time.

I think you might want to reorder the tutorial.

Currently it's:
What are techs?
Here's the tech tree.
Some benefit me.
A lot of them have no direct benefit.
Science is powerful.
Here's how you get them peacefully.
Here's how you get them quickly.

So the most relevant info is the last thing you see.

How about:

What are techs?
Here's how you get them quickly.
Here's how you get them without upsetting anyone.
The tech tree.
Direct benefits near the top.
Tech's without direct benefit to you can be gifted for 6 influence.
Don't underestimate science.

Could you add a button to the tech tree menu that calls up the basic science tutorial again?

Did the game point you towards the Adviser button?
Not that I recall. Sorry.
I note that it's the Computer Advisor.
Aka the AI Advisor. So it could have just been instinctive avoidance.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »
I think you might want to reorder the tutorial.
Thanks for the notes, I'll pass them on to Chris, he did all the tutorial stuff.

Could you add a button to the tech tree menu that calls up the basic science tutorial again?
The Logbook button should take you to a screen with all previous tutorials (among other stuff).  Or is it particularly important to link it on the tech tree screen?

I note that it's the Computer Advisor.
Aka the AI Advisor. So it could have just been instinctive avoidance.
I told Chris much the same thing.  Wide-scope political and military analysis AI.  As a power behind the power behind the throne.  What could go wrong?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 06:11:34 pm »
Or is it particularly important to link it on the tech tree screen?
Yes, I think it's particularly important. That's where I expected the science/technology information to be.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk