Author Topic: New version .852 now out! (Bugfixes Galore, Start of Quests)  (Read 2055 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: New version .852 now out! (Bugfixes Galore, Start of Quests)
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 02:09:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure the taser turrets are the most lethal-to-the-player thing in the game.

Unless it's lancer squadrons deploying right as fly by a flagship on an attack run.  Alpha Strike.  Ow.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 03:04:42 pm »
Apart from writing words on the screen, you could also actually just make them a tractor-beam like turret.

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 04:18:06 pm »
I'll try again sometime later just to be sure, but it seems that most of the lethality towards the player is wrapped up in the slow-moving missiles, which is why I think the taser turrets are allowing for so much of the damage (they let the missiles catch up). I think that part is fine and should stay as is.

To clarify the "issue" I mentioned earlier, most of the other enemy weapons/projectiles don't seem to be doing very much even in large amounts. It does make sense that the guns wouldn't do as much damage as the missiles as they are a bit harder to evade, but right now the difference seems pretty huge.
On Normal difficulty, aside from a few specialty weapons, as long as there are no missiles you can often sit there and eat a pretty large volume of gunfire without getting hurt too much.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 04:27:49 pm »
I'll try again sometime later just to be sure, but it seems that most of the lethality towards the player is wrapped up in the slow-moving missiles, which is why I think the taser turrets are allowing for so much of the damage (they let the missiles catch up). I think that part is fine and should stay as is.

To clarify the "issue" I mentioned earlier, most of the other enemy weapons/projectiles don't seem to be doing very much even in large amounts. It does make sense that the guns wouldn't do as much damage as the missiles as they are a bit harder to evade, but right now the difference seems pretty huge.
On Normal difficulty, aside from a few specialty weapons, as long as there are no missiles you can often sit there and eat a pretty large volume of gunfire without getting hurt too much.
I've found a fairly wide variety of stuff disrupts the shipiness of my ship.  What race's flagship did you steal?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Professor Paul1290

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 04:29:11 pm »
The Acutian ship I think.

Offline topper

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 04:41:34 pm »
Thanks for the invite! Trying to get started, and I am running problems even getting the game to run.

First started, popped up windowed as it loaded. I tried to drag the window to the side of my screen in the first second or so. This sent the game to a black screen with no response. I Ctrl-Alt-Del my way out of that to try again.

Ok, now it crashes again in the middle of initializing game files. I verified the integrity of my steam data for the game and it redownloads one file. I dont know if that was the problem in the first place or not.

Fatal crash in gc. I will try to restart my computer and try again.

Same deal as before, it crashes before finishing loading. See attached debug log, but it does not have much in it. Any advice on what I am doing wrong?

I have not had any problems with games from Arcen before, my next try would be deleting the game and totally re-downloading.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »
Fatal crash in gc.
Reminds me of the error messages generated when certain antivirus programs decide to kill our games.  They don't necessarily pick up all our games, etc.  Anyway, are you running an Antivirus?  If so, which one?

Offline topper

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:59 pm »
I have Avast Free.

I had a few problems with Bionic Dues with that too, but managed to make it work. I will try some things with the settings or just turning it off.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 04:48:00 pm »
Avast has come up in the past as one that sees our games more as targets than programs :)

Offline topper

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 04:49:12 pm »
Avast has come up in the past as one that sees our games more as targets than programs :)

If it was AI War, that would make sense  ;)

Ok, I added
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The Last Federation\*
to my exclusions list in Avast (I already had Bionic Dues on the list).

I'm in!  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:52:28 pm by topper »

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 07:36:15 pm »
Just want to say that I'm really looking forward to the quest system. That'll be a great addition.

My last bit of feedback aside from that would be in one of the tutorials (after you've done a few missions, as early on smuggling is so great), it'd be nice to give a general guidance in terms of what you'll want to do to form the federation later. Something like "In order to eventually form the federation, you will need several races that you have a strong influence on, as well as them having a positive influence with each other." (Or whatever the general requirements are, no specific numbers are needed for this.)

That'd provide a bit of extra direction in terms of which actions are heading you in that direction, and which ones are doing what I tended to do: beat the everloving tar out of one race and use all the stuff I steal to give to other ones so they like me more.

Don't know if thats a good strategy or not, but it was fun! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk