Author Topic: First Expansion, Betrayed Hope - Summer 2014  (Read 29753 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: First Expansion, Betrayed Hope - Summer 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 04:34:42 pm »
The force is strong with... someone in this thread.  Not clairvoyant, but reasonably close.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2014, 05:11:09 pm »
Knew it. Nailed it  :D

Offline topper

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 05:15:52 pm »
Sneak preview of new game mode intro text: (just kidding)

We are the Obscura, we dwell in the shadows.

The solar system was built as a zoo, a museum of sorts for the races we have conquered in our bloody past.

The fools are ignorant of their own true history beyond myths passed down from the first individuals of the 8 races we planted to colonize the planets in the system.

Only the High Command of the Hydrals were aware of our arrangement. We provided their leaders with powers and wealth in exchange for maintaining order in the system through space superiority.

Now with the Hydrals dead, our careful order has fallen apart. And worse, the sole surviving Hydral has united all 8 races into a peaceful federation. This cooperation could lead them to focus outward and discover us, the Obscura, hiding in the shadows.

This federation cannot be allowed to stand! I have been tasked with destroying the federation and restoring our order to the system, without allowing our involvement to become visible. I will break apart this alliance piece by piece and show them the true meaning of betrayal.

This will be the last federation!
(i don't know if i was right, but that was kind of fun)  ;D

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2014, 06:11:12 pm »
In all seriousness, it might be kind of neat to have another operator like yourself sneaking about in the background, slowly emerging as a major player and adversary.

Kind of reminds me of Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire, which put two advanced alien subspecies on opposing sides of Planet, with the less sophisticated human factions still involved in their squabbles. It was not the best balanced thing in the universe, but it had a real cool factor.

Offline Fleet Unity

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2014, 07:42:09 pm »
Looking forward to this I enjoy The Last Federation as much as I enjoy AI War Fleet Command! :)

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2014, 09:20:31 pm »
That one is a proper noun.

I'm nearly 100% sure Obscura is the name of a new race for the expansion.

The only meaning I know for Obscura is that of a moth based species. Am I close?

Go Mothra!!! :D

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:23:57 pm by Sounds »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2014, 09:26:47 pm »
Glancing at the etymology that Chris mentioned, I see a pattern of not only hiding but also of covering...

More to do with espionage, maybe?  There aint much of that right now beyond "spy probes" as far as I know, and informants which are basically just something that opens a larger menu for you.   That'd fit the "betrayed" part of the title.   Probably.

Though the ghosts would be funnier.  Or ghosts AND espionage.  GHOST SPIES.  I declare that this needs to be a thing now.

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 04:07:19 am »
In all seriousness, it might be kind of neat to have another operator like yourself sneaking about in the background, slowly emerging as a major player and adversary.

A Petyr Baelish for your Varys (or a Varys for your Petyr Baelish, depending on priorities).

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2014, 06:23:14 pm »
You can always discover that you are not actually the last Hydral...

Offline ChristopherRC2000

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2014, 08:43:15 pm »

Now this is an interesting idea.

Offline tbrass

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2014, 09:17:10 pm »
Hydras reproduce like Targarians, wedding brother to sister for generations... Perhaps your sibling felt spurned when you left it to be Prometheus with the natives. And now it is going to betray you. By invading your midi-chlorians with a dark plague.

Disney has been taking on a more ominous, "dark" tone these days. It would fit with their Arcen games acquisition.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2014, 09:26:45 pm »

Now this is an interesting idea.
The Lost Hydral!

Offline khadgar

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2014, 01:23:15 am »
The Lost Hydral!

The Lost Hydrals;

Three Hydrals, lost in a strange galaxy, must team up and use their unique abilities together to escape and defeat the evil Tomator Burlust warlord!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:34:26 am by khadgar »

Offline wwwhhattt

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2014, 07:09:58 am »
You've got around four heads - maybe one of them turns evil, trying to destroy your work, so whenever you try to help someone it tries to screw you over. Although I guess you could always just have the evil head amputated then.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2014, 08:14:44 am »
Assuming "Obscura" doesn't refer time traveling hydral outpost or something, whats the chance that they will be this games Antarians(From Master of Orion 2) aka evil npc race that aims to kill everyone due to being space Cthulhu/nazis?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk