Author Topic: Could You Add More Planetary Events? Please?  (Read 7855 times)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Could You Add More Planetary Events? Please?
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:14:29 pm »
 Not necessarily controllable by the player, but just to introduce more variety into the kinds of things that happen on and to planets.

Or is there enough already?

I'm trying to think of something to mix up my games, so they're not so much alike.

-T

p.s.   maybe this is something best left for a later expansion down the line and added in as a second thought?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:48:14 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Could You Add More Planetary Events? Please?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:07:40 pm »
Have any ideas for some? I remember that this particular feature started testing the limits of my creativity by the time I finished my pass through it. So, if you (or others) have any specific ideas for them, I'm sure they would be appreciated. :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:40 pm »
I'll give it a go and re-post some ideas here, some ideas, probably same as what you have already thought of, but like...

internal war, like say syria and and iraq internal militants fighting to take over a province. show shifts in area allegiance.

weather disasters, like say hurricanes, or earthquakes that take out some populated areas. this should affect industries and facilities, like say 30% loss in manufacturing ability for 5-10 years until replaced.

Though of course the problem with my idea may be that time in the game is too short. If i wait 10 years to have a massive rebuild on a manufacturing facility, that may have me wait all of 10-20 minutes? Or less.

Which is not really the effect i was hoping for. I was hoping the shifts of circumstance would change the landscape of the game for an entire game. Which if we look at real shifts in population or disease, or migration, or technology, or new housing areas, or new manufacturing... is only going to take a few minutes, hardly the game altering shifts i was hoping for from game to game.

So maybe this isn't really possible, unless someone can think of something i am not seeing.

Idea comes to me to slow down time, dramatically. But then there is too much in the game depending on how it is paced right now. So maybe it was a not well thought out idea. Or something that would have needed to be done when it was designed, so everything else could be fit in with it in a balanced way.

Anyway, thanks for the note back, but well... looks like a no go. 

-T

Offline TheDarkMaster

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:23 pm »
It sounds like what you're looking for are events like these: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php?topic=15846.0

Stuff were one planet gets weakened or loses a bunch of population are already in the game, more often then not they're beneficial to you.  Weak races are races that are easy to deal with and won't cause trouble for you.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »
Thank you for the reply, i think you got it right on the nose.  :)  Appreciate it.

p.s.  might be fun to have the trouble, just to mix up the game, you know?  :)

-T

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:22:46 pm by Teal_Blue »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk