Author Topic: Computer freezes up when trying to update?  (Read 941 times)

Offline runetrantor

• Newbie Mark II
Computer freezes up when trying to update?
« on: April 30, 2014, 10:22:08 pm »
So I was playing in 1.004, the last stable update so far, so upon finding out there was a new update that was not a beta, I tried to download it using the ingame updater.

It downloads, then the game goes to black (I assume to restart itself), like when it is loading, and there is a sort of momentary black screen in between the 'init' loading things, but here, it stays there.
I have given it a try twice, and both times I had to force shut down my computer after 15 minutes of inactivity.
I cant even CTRL-ALT-DEL out, or use the Windows button to force the menu out and get out, it does not respond to anything.
Democracy works under the premise that the general populace has common sense and long-term thinking, that alone dooms it to failure. -Me.

Offline topper

Re: Computer freezes up when trying to update?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:57:12 pm »
If you have Steam, it should update itself if you restart Steam or verify the game cache.

If you have Avast antivirus, that is behavior that I was seeing too with trying to launch the game using the in game updater.

Offline runetrantor

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:25:27 pm »
I have Essentials and Ultimate SystemCare, but I was able to update from 1.000 to 1.004 without problems...

Should I disable the anti virus?
Democracy works under the premise that the general populace has common sense and long-term thinking, that alone dooms it to failure. -Me.

Offline runetrantor

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:39:29 am »
Nevermind, I remembered the game had an updater for 'older machines' and for when the auto one is having troubles, it worked like a charm.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 10:35:44 am »
Whew, glad that worked!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk